Stax Sr-X Mark III Impressions
Nov 17, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #182 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyre
IIRC, wualta picked up a pair for around $75 a while back. I paid $200 for mine, but at least they were in extremely good condition.

That's good to hear. In more ways than one. Glad to contribute in my small way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyre
edit: And oh yeah, ebay sucks.

Sure does, but every once in awhile the airhats forget to apply suction for a moment and that's when you pounce. Ebay is not the place to buy in-demand items if you want or need something for a good price, right now. I had to wait at least 6 months to get the deal I got, probably longer.

Well, we could start a buncha threads saying how thin the bass is and how collapsed the soundstage is and how revealing they are of every fault of the playback chain... Anyone feeling really snarky, agnostic and skeptical?

Nov 17, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #183 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelda
What it sounds like compare it with SR-001 mk2 baby stax?

The SR-003 is warmer, a tad thicker, less rolled off in the bass, more rolled of in the treble, somehow sounds more diffuse (go figure), less resolving, is less comfortable, and quite a bit lighter.

I like both, but the SR-X is the better headphone. It just has more timbral complexity. Of course, you can't really take your SR-X with you on the bus.

Nov 18, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #185 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm shocked, I actually won my auction for some SRX Mk3s with an SRD-6. Paid the equivalent of US$137. Score.

Ran out of people to have bidding wars with, eh?

Nov 18, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #186 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ran out of people to have bidding wars with, eh?

Seems so. Still amazed at one of those auctions going for US$255.

Nov 18, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #187 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems so.

Well, if something rare and interesting pops up, I'll be happy to obligue.

Quote:

Still amazed at one of those auctions going for US$255.

Well, look how much Grado HP-2s go for if you want a sense of perspective.

Nov 18, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #188 of 223
Quote:

Well, if something rare and interesting pops up, I'll be happy to obligue.

Don't worry, I won't be bidding against you for anything any time soon, it'd just be delaying the Omega 2s.

Jan 13, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #189 of 223
Great thread!
Lots of interesting reading about the SR-X/MK3, which just happens to be my latest headphone purchase.

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #190 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif

According to the SRD-7SBmk2's manual, the SRD-7's normal bias outlets are capable of driving the SR-404, its just that the volume will be somewhat softer.

Quote:

You're talking about a ~300v difference in bias voltage, though, so it'll be quite a major difference in sound level. But yeah, the old bias stuff can certainly drive the Pro bias stuff. Just not the reverse.

Picking a very very old threat here, you can't blame me for not using the search button haha
wink.gif
Anyway is this true, and has anyone tried it? Driving a pro headphone on the SRD-7 normal (6pins)? How were the results?

Jul 6, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #191 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Picking a very very old threat here, you can't blame me for not using the search button haha
wink.gif
Anyway is this true, and has anyone tried it? Driving a pro headphone on the SRD-7 normal (6pins)? How were the results?

Why not ask this in the Stax thread??? The bias is just that, a polarizing voltage, so if it is lower you will still get sound but it is softer. The amp would have to make up for the voltage difference by increasing the drive voltage which isn't a good way and not something any of the Stax amps can do.

Jul 6, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #192 of 223
But I will have a 75w amp connected to the SRD-7, surely that could make up for the low volume? Or doesn't this affect the voltage (I instead of U
tongue.gif
), anyway I really don't know much about this, thats why I ask
smily_headphones1.gif
Just curious if I could drive a srs-202 or something decently and have good SQ
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #193 of 223
Quote:

But I will have a 75w amp connected to the SRD-7, surely that could make up for the low volume? Or doesn't this affect the voltage (I instead of U
tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

Volume isn't the issue -- I believe Spritzer meant softer as in 'less crisp'. That was my experience running the 202 out of an SRD-7. Sounds great, perfectly enjoyable, but upgrading to a pro bias adapter or amp will be an unquestionable improvement.

Jul 7, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #194 of 223
Well thats exactly the answer I was hoping for tbh. Cause this was I could like later get a new headphone like a Lambda or SR-202/303 or something, and then after saving up some more, get a new amp. Its always nice to spread the cost, and still be able to enjoy what you have just bougt
wink.gif
Now where to get one of those lambda's
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #195 of 223
Quote:

tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdennis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Volume isn't the issue -- I believe Spritzer meant softer as in 'less crisp'. That was my experience running the 202 out of an SRD-7. Sounds great, perfectly enjoyable, but upgrading to a pro bias adapter or amp will be an unquestionable improvement.

No, I think he did mean volume. And the power of the amp is moot, as the SRD-7 can only handle so much, something under 20W if memory serves. But still, normal bias will drive them alright, and do until you can get a pro bias source lined up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back