Stax Sr-X Mark III Impressions
Oct 20, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #166 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
Add me to the stax team
smily_headphones1.gif
Was finally able to snag a pair off ebay for a good price. How good are the srd-7 transformer boxes? Better than the srd-6 i assume? Now is the waiting time, gosh darn, i want my stax!
evil_smiley.gif

Yeah, better than the SRD-6, but all of Stax's transformers have a certain amount of grain to them.

Oct 24, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #168 of 223
So, quite a few years back I got to borrow a SRD-7/SRXmk3 setup. My equipment then was the analog outs of an M-Audio 24/96 card, NAD 1155 preamp, and a Hafler SE240 power amp, 120wpc/8ohms.

Now, things are rather different... and I have long wished I could try the Stax setup with my current gear, including a Pass Labs X250.5 power amp (250wpc/8 ohms).

I may have a chance to pick up another setup... I hear about people dumping 200 watts into these things... I presume things will be okay with the Pass as long as I don't get carried away with the volume?

Oct 24, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #169 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by feckn_eejit
So, quite a few years back I got to borrow a SRD-7/SRXmk3 setup. My equipment then was the analog outs of an M-Audio 24/96 card, NAD 1155 preamp, and a Hafler SE240 power amp, 120wpc/8ohms.

Now, things are rather different... and I have long wished I could try the Stax setup with my current gear, including a Pass Labs X250.5 power amp (250wpc/8 ohms).

I may have a chance to pick up another setup... I hear about people dumping 200 watts into these things... I presume things will be okay with the Pass as long as I don't get carried away with the volume?

Start low, and slowly raise the volume. If you do that, they'll be fine. You're going to need quite a precise volume control, though, or else getting the right volume will be very difficult.

Oct 27, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #170 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Start low, and slowly raise the volume. If you do that, they'll be fine. You're going to need quite a precise volume control, though, or else getting the right volume will be very difficult.

Ah, good point! The stepped attenuator in my X2 preamp is pretty imprecise... thoguh my dac has a stepped attenuator as well (which I usually run wide open), so I can juggle the two I guess.

Can anyone offer an opinion on a fair price for a SRD-7/SR-Xmk3 combo these days?

Oct 27, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #171 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by feckn_eejit
Can anyone offer an opinion on a fair price for a SRD-7/SR-Xmk3 combo these days?

~$150. Less is better, of course. Make sure it goes properly before you plop down your hard earned.

Nov 15, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #172 of 223
So, the SRD-7/SR-Xmk3 setup works great with the Pass gear... though the stepped attenuators makes things a bit difficult.

The needle on the amp tends to stay rock steady, which means i'm not going over whatever it puts out in Class A, which I think is around 40wpc into 8 ohms... if I really crank it, it'll move, but it's way too loud.

I haven't been listening to anything even remotely appropriate for these cans, it's been all studio-recorded over-produced schlock. I forgot how revealing these things are of vocal effects... what kind of mic was used on the vocals... how close the singer is to the mic... how much reverb... room effects are laid totally bare. Incredibly precise headstage. Every now and then there's some element in a song I thought I knew extremely well which comes out and bludgeons me over the head. Moving to the Grado RS1's is like strapping a pair of 18" subwoofers to my ears. I have always loved how the Grados do bass, I find it deep and tight and articulated, compared to Senns which I find fat and bloaty. I wish I could drop the Stax's and RS1's into a pot, stir, and make an uber-headphone...

I can't detect any of the high-end grain people have talked about with the old-school energisers.

I can imagine these things tend to work a bit better with fully balanced amplifiers, given the balanced nature of the step-up transformers and electrostatic drivers. I'm probably more than halving the distortion while more than doubling the poise/control the amp has over the drivers.

As incredible as the detail is, the Staxs don't sound.... cold...or painfully analytical. Quite warm....but so intimate... I'm looking forward to trying different configurations of my system, I'm gonna learn a lot about how my components actually sound.

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:13 AM Post #173 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
~$150. Less is better, of course. Make sure it goes properly before you plop down your hard earned.

I wish it was so but I looked for a while and I never found any under $200. They're consistently going for over $200.

Nov 15, 2006 at 11:02 AM Post #174 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenja
I wish it was so but I looked for a while and I never found any under $200. They're consistently going for over $200.

Neither of mine cost that many pebbles.

Nov 15, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #175 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenja

Be patient and wait. Sometimes you can snag a deal; I picked mine up for $80 only 9 months ago.

Does anyone think there should be a team Sr-X mk III? It seems a lot of people have this phone.

Nov 16, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #177 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Yeah, a lot of people except ME!
frown.gif

And me. I've been trying for a while. Lost a few auctions because I refused to pay a fortune for them and I'm not too hopeful on the current auction I'm bidding on.

Nov 16, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #178 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu
And me. I've been trying for a while. Lost a few auctions because I refused to pay a fortune for them and I'm not too hopeful on the current auction I'm bidding on.

The bargains are definately out there. My SR-001s cost me all of US$155 shipped with EMS.

Nov 16, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #179 of 223
eBay just generally sucks. I don't know HOW Minh got his SR-X mk. 3 there for $150. It's like somehow the planets align every time he wants to buy something on there.

Nov 16, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #180 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
eBay just generally sucks. I don't know HOW Minh got his SR-X mk. 3 there for $150. It's like somehow the planets align every time he wants to buy something on there.

IIRC, wualta picked up a pair for around $75 a while back. I paid $200 for mine, but at least they were in extremely good condition.

edit: And oh yeah, ebay sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back