Stax SR-507 - Sept. 1, 2010 , Stax SR-207 - Oct. 1, 2010 What!!
Nov 14, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #451 of 559

Quote:
Quote:
Does anyone else think the SR-507 earpads are uncomfortable (back of ears) or is it just my big ears. This is my first pair of Stax headphones so I have nothing to compare them to.

They are VERY comfortable for me, then every now something shifts and I have to move them around.  This is my first pair of Stax as well.
And I see I'm not the only Stax fan in Phoenix. 
happy_face1.gif

From I can tell there are more in town then just us :)

Nov 14, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #452 of 559

Quote:
Quote:
Ummm...none of what?

What Ed said.  There are no aftermarket earpads for the Lambdas, the new ones are made by Stax and they are thinner and with the Omega acoustic cloth next to the ear.  The leather is Spanish but that doesn't mean the earpads are made there and the boxes say "Made in Japan"...

Quote:
Does anyone else think the SR-507 earpads are uncomfortable (back of ears) or is it just my big ears. This is my first pair of Stax headphones so I have nothing to compare them to.

Same here but none of the Lambdas really fit my head.  I do prefer the older, thicker earpads because of the comfort. 

At first I thought the pads where on backwards.  The opening makes a "D" and the straight line is at the back of your ear, I thought the curve should be at the back of the ear, then I found the "R" and "L" and realized I put them on backwards ... what do I know :)

Nov 14, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #453 of 559

Quote:
Thanks! sounds like a great headphone!

I adore my SR-507, but then I'm a sucker for well done (not harsh or recessed) treble. The LCD-2 has more bass quantity, but the SR-507 has more (good) treble. It's going to be a lot harder for me to decide a favorite between the HE-6 and the SR-507, as the HE-6 does really nice treble too.

Nov 14, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #454 of 559

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! sounds like a great headphone!

I adore my SR-507, but then I'm a sucker for well done (not harsh or recessed) treble. The LCD-2 has more bass quantity, but the SR-507 has more (good) treble. It's going to be a lot harder for me to decide a favorite between the HE-6 and the SR-507, as the HE-6 does really nice treble too.

looking at both the SR-507 and the HE-6, but to my ears the LCD-2 to highs extremely well with the phoenix. Highs are supposedly to be an intergral part of the music, not some attention whore -which is what most are used to on headphone due to the proximity of the ear... Really seems to be recording dependent on the LCD-2. The resolution... oh god, for a drummer like myself it is so beautiful to be able to hear proper decay on cymbals... an not have the cymbals dominate entire CD's due to an FR bump on a headphone. The LCD-2 truly is lifelike.

Just wondering to what degree my love affair with the LCD-2 is going to interfere with truly appreciating another headphone... and if this is even a bad thing. :p

wouldn't mind more highs, but too much going to be an issue...  Looking forward to the coming impressions.

as always though, the "less quantity" but same detail really boggles my mind. Bass detail is in the visceral part too... that's why it is bass! If that is missing, so is part of the FR due to roll off. Guess we can never have it all!

Nov 14, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #456 of 559

Quote:
Quote:
There are no aftermarket earpads for the Lambdas, the new ones are made by Stax and they are thinner and with the Omega acoustic cloth next to the ear.  The leather is Spanish but that doesn't mean the earpads are made there and the boxes say "Made in Japan"...

Are you saying that Stax  no longer offers the original style Lambda  foam pad for replacement?  As I said,  Yamasinc, the US Stax distributer was still supplying original style Lambda/foam pads when I requested a replacement about a year ago  and did not offer the cloth style.   

Are recent Lambdas using foam or cloth inside the pads?

I suppose Yamasinc had some leftovers in stock. And logic tells me the new Lambdas are using the new pads (with cloth).

Nov 14, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #458 of 559
Just received a SR-507/ SRM007tII combo.  I ordered some replacement tubes, RCA 6FQ7/6CG7 cleartops, match quad set. I want to smooth-out the presentation, it sounds a bit harsh and edgy. So I'm reading the Stax 007tII manual and I run across this in the "Precautions for use" section, "Replacing the vacuum tube will result in stress being applied to the print board and may cause the unit to break down.  SRM-007tII will need adjusting if the vacuum tube is replaced.  Please consult the STAX Service Department.".  

Really?  I can't just replace the tubes?

thanks

Nov 15, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #460 of 559
Getting back to the question of replacement pads and the like ,I notice that the Stax site (in Japanese) has this table which appears to list the availability of parts such as cables and arc assemblies.However, since I don't read Japanese so I am not too sure about what this table is.  Curiously, there is no pad, or anything else listed, for the  202, 303 and 404's except the cable. 

http://www.stax.co.jp/Japan/service-J.html

The Japanese language Stax site is also ahead of the English Stax site in showing the new Lambdas, the 307 and 407.   These don't look obviously different from the 303 and 404.  Both the arc assembly and earpads look the same, although you can't see that much about the pads.  I assume these new phones have an upgraded driver, similar to the 507.  I am curious about the cloth vs foam over the driver but can't tell looking at these.

http://www.stax.co.jp/Japan/SR307_407_1_JP.html

I am not sure if anyone has noted whether the 507 uses cloth or foam.  If Stax is abandoning foam in replacement pads for older models one would assume that they are using cloth in the new Lambdas.

I still don't see any replacement for the old portable SR001Mk2 system.

Nov 15, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #462 of 559

Quote:

The Japanese language Stax site is also ahead of the English Stax site in showing the new Lambdas, the 307 and 407.   These don't look obviously different from the 303 and 404.  Both the arc assembly and earpads look the same, although you can't see that much about the pads.  I assume these new phones have an upgraded driver, similar to the 507.  I am curious about the cloth vs foam over the driver but can't tell looking at these.

I am not sure if anyone has noted whether the 507 uses cloth or foam.

Now, quick, before anybody else is answering: wanna bet $10 it's cloth?
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #464 of 559

Quote:
You can never just replace the tubes even if the operating parameters are fixed in place.  You should also be aware that not all the 007t amps use 6CG7's, some use 8CG7's which are not compatible due to the higher filament voltage. 

ok... this is new to me, I guess all the tube amps I've had / have are auto-biasing.  Mine shipped with electro-harmonix 6CG7EH tubes.  Is there an authoritative post on how to bias a 007tII or I nee to go-search? 

Nov 15, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #465 of 559

Quote:
Quote:

I am not sure if anyone has noted whether the 507 uses cloth or foam.

Now, quick, before anybody else is answering: wanna bet $10 it's cloth?
biggrin.gif

Running Google Translation on the 307/407 page the pads are described as the  [size=x-small]EP-234      which are the replacement pads with the cloth insert.[/size]

[size=x-small] [/size] 
Even the original foam insert on the front has some impact on the sound. (Of course so does the back foam, but that is a different issue).  Each time I have replaced Lambda pads because the foam wore out,  I have have been struck by some loss of high frequencies and airiness.  But since  all my Lambdas have sounded somewhat treblish,  it was something I could live with.    But what you are saying indicates that the newer material has  a more pronounced effect on sound and not all good

In the end were you able to effectively use the Stax foam I sent you with the new earpads?

Quote:
Actually, its 35 dollars. http://www.reliablehardware.com/reticulatedspeakerfoam.aspx It might be cheaper on mcmaster-carr.

Yes, for those who don't like the sound of the replacement cloth this could work. 

I wonder if Yamasinc has a large stock of the original pads?   

The Stax Japanese service page, noted above, shows pads for some of the earlier Lambdas, but not for the 202,303 and 404.  I wonder if this might indicate that they also have some originals on hand, built for the earlier models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back