Stax SR-507 - Sept. 1, 2010 , Stax SR-207 - Oct. 1, 2010 What!!
Aug 11, 2010 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 559

Drumonron

1000+ Head-Fier
On the Stax thread(new) I saw rumblings about this earspeaker from Stax called the SR-507.  I tried to research but, surprisingly, there is little information on them other than basics.  Supposedly they are due in September, 2010. 

I wanted to start a thread in order to collect any and all pertinent information that people from head-fi have.

Thanks and I am loving my 4040II Sig System and wonder how this new earspeaker will measure up.

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 559
Thanks nikongod, I've never used the translator from google...it's quite good.

Paaj, thanks for the link to the translated, too.  Wonder if these will sound any different due to the following changes, it is stated:

Cost(insert adjective):
[size=x-small][/size]
USD: 73,500 yen = $862.2726
Production begins: Sept.1, 2010
"
Special Director
  [size=x-small]SR-507, the first SR-Λ (lambda) as a 30 year break from the birth series (1) new sounding body unit (sound elements) and with a more evolved.[/size]
[size=x-small]Traditional elements of sound, vibration compared to the size of the outer membrane (board) has adopted a structure as simple as possible to use the area as efficiently as possible.[/size]  [size=x-small]The new sound elements while utilizing the advantages of conventional packaging achieves a strong case and resin.[/size] [size=x-small]This reduces the turbidity of the sound could improve a clearer sense of orientation.[/size]
  [size=x-small]The diaphragm is a thin film of new material uses very little expansion and contraction due to temperature and humidity, rich bass heavy and forceful, able to combine quality and delicate treble.[/size]
"

This sounds like a whole new sounding earspeaker.  I like it!

"
Leather ear pad with:
[size=x-small]leather (sheepskin) The main purpose of adoption is unique and breathable leather, feeling it was aimed at improving the flexibility of mounting the head and "fresh" sound, "sound dignity "has contributed greatly to improving.[/size]
[size=x-small]"[/size]

[size=x-small]Real sheepskin leather...very nice and I'm sure this will affect the listening experience, greatly.[/size]

"
Low Capacitance employed wide hybrid cable:
[size=x-small]core within the highly acclaimed generally high purity copper wire 6N · Cu (φ0.14 × 3), using silver plated copper wire in the periphery (φ0.08 × 9) to place 6.[/size]  [size=x-small]The overall structure is like the traditional wide parallel type in order to reduce the capacitance of the line.[/size]  [size=x-small]Thus, even "fresh" sound is improved.[/size]
"

"
New Akuassei adoption:
[size=x-small]New Akuassei (headband) for adjusting the height of the head pad, STAX first (2) forming a part equipped with a click mechanism slides of 10.[/size] [size=x-small]This now gives most people the best feeling of wearing.[/size]  [size=x-small](3) uses a dual-arc structure, and it is always best if保Temasu position once adjusted, it became necessary to adjust every time you use it.[/size]  [size=x-small]Lateral pressure becomes too soft to hear this new mechanism, you can enjoy your music in a long time to comfort.[/size]
[size=x-small]"[/size]

[size=x-small]Very exciting, I wish they'd include a flight case for the price.[/size]

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 559

Quote:
Thanks nikongod, I've never used the translator from google...it's quite good.

It's decent, but most of the time I find I swap back to the original because sometimes the translations are so bad that you can get the complete opposite meaning from the sentence such as "10kHz at the University including cables" when it is just 10kHz at the attached cables.  Or the bit about the new headband (the original doesn't say "hear," it just talks about the use of the dual arc structure while, once adjusted, will always hold that position to so it'll be soft on your ear for comfort during long listening periods).  But I guess you can figure most of it out from the translations.

That said.  These look nice and I look forward to them.  I hope I get to read a few impressions of them come September.

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 559

Quote:
Hopefully they are technically (other than headband system) just the same as the 404LE :)

englishtranslation :wink:

seconded.
-Team I don't want to buy another headphone 
wink_face.gif

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #8 of 559
Yes, these do seem very interesting.  From the photos the frame looks pretty similar to the 404s but with some minor tweaks.  However, there is mention on the Stax website that the drivers are encased in a more rigid resin enclosure...which has me hoping that there is less frame vibrations when playing lower octave notes.

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #9 of 559
Looks like it has the 404 LE pads and cable, but  a different arc assembly and a more rigid mounting of the drivers.There is an indication of a different driver material but they are pretty coy about describing it. 

Most of the specs however still look like  a 404.

Aug 12, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #15 of 559
The Lambdas have one basic advantage over the 007, as far as I can see, namely that they have  a fully open back, unlike the the quasi chamber behind the 007, which in my opinion causes coloration and a compressed soundstage.  So if Stax have successfully addressed the problems with the Lambda by coming up with a more solid earcup and driver mount they may very well improve on the 007, especially if th driver is itself improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back