Stax SR-507 - Sept. 1, 2010 , Stax SR-207 - Oct. 1, 2010 What!!
Nov 13, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #436 of 559

Quote:
It is my understanding that these Lambda  earpads are not actually made by Stax which continues to make its orginal design in which the foam is attached directly to the earpads.

Really??  Where did you read that? 'Cause it's "Stax LTD." written on the little box of my replacement pads.
Which reminds me I should sell these.

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #438 of 559
Here are my impressions of the 307, 407, and 507
If you want the short version I bought the 507.

Long version
Take my impressions with a grain of salt as it was in a not totally quiet place. I went to my favorite Stax dealer here in Japan. I listened through a srm-600 and a srm-006TS, as well as a little on a 323s. I hated the 307 immediately, it sounded like a 404 and 303. In other words etch. The 407 and 507 were very close. Both sounded great with no etch at all. I felt there was more bass from the 507 also it felt a bit more detailed in transient notes. I would say if you are tight on money don't feel bad about the 407. It really is the best bang for the buck lambda and the sound quality is very similar to the 507. I have a small head ( I usually wore the old head band assembly as small as it would go) and the 507 feels great. My setting is 2 clicks above the smallest setting.
Compared to the SC1 and the LNS the 507 beats them both.
Well time to get back to my 507s...

Nov 13, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #439 of 559

Quote:
It is my understanding that these Lambda  earpads are not actually made by Stax which continues to make its orginal design in which the foam is attached directly to the earpads.

STAX import the leather pads from Spain. The inserts are probably made in other country (Japan?). The old vinylpads with foam are furthermore standard with 202-404. Isn´t it, spritzer?

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #442 of 559
Quote:
None of that is even close to being true...

Ummm...none of what?

Quote:
STAX import the leather pads from Spain. The inserts are probably made in other country (Japan?). The old vinylpads with foam are furthermore standard with 202-404. Isn´t it, spritzer?

...and the new vinyl pads with cloth instead of foam, who makes them? I can only find these for sale.

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #443 of 559
Hi There,

I'm interested in these SR-507, but still have some interrogation;

1) If I'm not wrong, they are the best Stax headphones just after the Omega, am I correct ?

2) About the amp, which one should I choose to have good synergy and great bass ?

3) Has someone already compared them with the LCD-2 ?

Thanks for your help
regular_smile%20.gif

Nov 13, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #444 of 559

Quote:
Hi There,

1) If I'm not wrong, they are the best Stax headphones just after the Omega, am I correct ?

2) About the amp, which one should I choose to have good synergy and great bass ?

Thanks for your help
regular_smile%20.gif

1,) After the Omega 2, I feel they are the best I've listened to that are currently in production. The problem is, there are plenty of great Stax that you can get used that aren't being made now like the Sigmas. Plus "best" is a little vague and the definition is ultimately going to differ from person to person. I also haven't heard the 4070, so I can't say the SR-507 are necessarily better than those.

2.) Depends on how much you want to spend. The SRM-717 is a great low-cost solution, while the KGSS will cost twice as much but perform better. If you have five grand and don't mind waiting a while, you can't beat the Blue Hawaii. I've personally tried the SR-507 on the T1W and the KGSS, and both sound good to my ears with the KGSS being the better amp.

3.) I own both and was planning on writing up a comparison between them, but the adjustment rod blocks on my LCD-2 have cracked. Consequently I don't want to do anymore listening with them until Audez'e sends replacements. I've notified them a month ago (October 12th) about it, and they've said new ones would be sent out, but I still haven't gotten them as of November 12th. No one with this issue has to my knowledge.

From memory (which is notoriously not the most reliable source) I'd say the most noticeable difference is in the treble presence. With the LCD-2 I felt the treble was lacking. On the SR-507 it's fully extended and gorgeous. The LCD-2 would be closer to a "dark" headphone than the SR-507 most assuredly. The SR-507 is more on the bright side, but as someone who is very sensitive to bright headphones it doesn't bother me. The bass quality is impressive on the LCD-2 and the SR-507, with the former having more bass quantity. In terms of soundstage the LCD-2 is cramped in my opinion, whereas the SR-507 is more spacious and has the dimensional qualities Lambdas have become known for. Both exhibit an impressive level of detail. Both convey music in such a way that the instruments sound real and convincing. In terms of comfort the SR-507 wins hands down. The LCD-2 is not a comfortable headphone.

I really don't want to get into any more detail with the LCD-2 temporarily out of commission. Hopefully my brief comments could provide at least some small amount of help.

Nov 13, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #445 of 559

Quote:
Quote:

Really??  Where did you read that? 'Cause it's "Stax LTD." written on the little box of my replacement pads.
Which reminds me I should sell these.

I haven't seen anything written about this but about a year ago when I asked for a 404 replacement pad from Yamasinc  they sent me an original pad/foam and did not offer a cloth version.

Does Stax still use foam with the pads on new Lambdas?

Nov 13, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #446 of 559
Does anyone else think the SR-507 earpads are uncomfortable (back of ears) or is it just my big ears. This is my first pair of Stax headphones so I have nothing to compare them to.

Nov 13, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #447 of 559

Quote:
Ummm...none of what?

What Ed said.  There are no aftermarket earpads for the Lambdas, the new ones are made by Stax and they are thinner and with the Omega acoustic cloth next to the ear.  The leather is Spanish but that doesn't mean the earpads are made there and the boxes say "Made in Japan"...

Quote:
Does anyone else think the SR-507 earpads are uncomfortable (back of ears) or is it just my big ears. This is my first pair of Stax headphones so I have nothing to compare them to.

Same here but none of the Lambdas really fit my head.  I do prefer the older, thicker earpads because of the comfort. 

Nov 13, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #448 of 559

Quote:

They are VERY comfortable for me, then every now something shifts and I have to move them around.  This is my first pair of Stax as well.
And I see I'm not the only Stax fan in Phoenix. 
happy_face1.gif

Nov 13, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #449 of 559

Quote:
Quote:
Ummm...none of what?

What Ed said.  There are no aftermarket earpads for the Lambdas, the new ones are made by Stax and they are thinner and with the Omega acoustic cloth next to the ear.  The leather is Spanish but that doesn't mean the earpads are made there and the boxes say "Made in Japan"...

Are you saying that Stax  no longer offers the original style Lambda  foam pad for replacement?  As I said,  Yamasinc, the US Stax distributer was still supplying original style Lambda/foam pads when I requested a replacement about a year ago  and did not offer the cloth style.   

Are recent Lambdas using foam or cloth inside the pads?

Nov 14, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #450 of 559

Quote:
Quote:
Hi There,

Thanks for your help
regular_smile%20.gif

1,) After the Omega 2, I feel they are the best I've listened to that are currently in production. The problem is, there are plenty of great Stax that you can get used that aren't being made now like the Sigmas. Plus "best" is a little vague and the definition is ultimately going to differ from person to person. I also haven't heard the 4070, so I can't say the SR-507 are necessarily better than those.

2.) Depends on how much you want to spend. The SRM-717 is a great low-cost solution, while the KGSS will cost twice as much but perform better. If you have five grand and don't mind waiting a while, you can't beat the Blue Hawaii. I've personally tried the SR-507 on the T1W and the KGSS, and both sound good to my ears with the KGSS being the better amp.

3.) I own both and was planning on writing up a comparison between them, but the adjustment rod blocks on my LCD-2 have cracked. Consequently I don't want to do anymore listening with them until Audez'e sends replacements. I've notified them a month ago (October 12th) about it, and they've said new ones would be sent out, but I still haven't gotten them as of November 12th. No one with this issue has to my knowledge.

From memory (which is notoriously not the most reliable source) I'd say the most noticeable difference is in the treble presence. With the LCD-2 I felt the treble was lacking. On the SR-507 it's fully extended and gorgeous. The LCD-2 would be closer to a "dark" headphone than the SR-507 most assuredly. The SR-507 is more on the bright side, but as someone who is very sensitive to bright headphones it doesn't bother me. The bass quality is impressive on the LCD-2 and the SR-507, with the former having more bass quantity. In terms of soundstage the LCD-2 is cramped in my opinion, whereas the SR-507 is more spacious and has the dimensional qualities Lambdas have become known for. Both exhibit an impressive level of detail. Both convey music in such a way that the instruments sound real and convincing. In terms of comfort the SR-507 wins hands down. The LCD-2 is not a comfortable headphone.

I really don't want to get into any more detail with the LCD-2 temporarily out of commission. Hopefully my brief comments could provide at least some small amount of help.

Thanks! sounds like a great headphone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back