Stax SR-507 - Sept. 1, 2010 , Stax SR-207 - Oct. 1, 2010 What!!
Oct 17, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #316 of 559

Quote:
That would be a good thing!

As I recall the original Omega drivers were inclined to self-destruct so a return to that standard would not be good. 

As regards improved drivers,  the Lambdas needed something to get them closer to the standard of the 007.  Of course what you don't want is to have to invest in a megabuck amp to run them as tends to be the case for the 007.   Aside from the amp issue with the 007,  the problem I see is earcup resonance.  I would rather see a fully open back for the 03 more like the Lambda.  I can't tell from the picture what the 03 has.

One hopes that Stax will do something for the SR 003 too.

Oct 18, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #317 of 559
Quote:
As I recall the original Omega drivers were inclined to self-destruct so a return to that standard would not be good.   
As regards improved drivers,  the Lambdas needed something to get them closer to the standard of the 007.  Of course what you don't want is to have to invest in a megabuck amp to run them as tends to be the case for the 007.   Aside from the amp issue with the 007,  the problem I see is earcup resonance.  I would rather see a fully open back for the 03 more like the Lambda.  I can't tell from the picture what the 03 has.

One hopes that Stax will do something for the SR 003 too.

I was referring to the sound quality of them.  It will be nice if the Omega 3 will sound more like the SR-Omega than the Omega 2 mk. 1.

Oct 18, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #318 of 559

Quote:
So, here's my 507 impression and pictures... first my brief impression after 1 hour of listening.

I compared it with my SR-303 using a SRM-1. First thing you notice is sound signature is totally different. Sounds closer to an Omega with a rich, slightly dark sound. Coming from the 303, the 507 initially sounds heavy and slow. That's just because the notes have so much more body and weight. In fact the 507 is just as quick as the previous generation lambda. There is ample bass. This is a welcome change from the 303, which has rolled-off bass. The 507's low end is super tight and controlled. The only better bass I've heard is from a LCD-2 powered by a WA5. In my mind the bass is a bit too strong to be realistic, but I enjoy ever so slightly emphasized bass and know many others prefer the same. If you thought electrostats sounded thin and lifeless, this headphone will change your mind. Treble is less emphasized than the 303 and cymbals sound more realistic and less blurry. The 507 has better tonal accuracy than the 303, but it sounds just a bit too dark to be realistic, much like a HD-650. In my mind there are more tonally accurate headphones such as the T1 and HE-5. Overall, this is a massive improvement on the 303 and corrects the weaknesses of the previous generation lambdas. The sound signature is a bit on the dark heavy side, but this actually fits well with the quickness of electrostats. It's strange to hear a headphone that gives the notes lots of weight but is also incredibly quick. Photos!

Great write-up, thanks.   Any comments on comfort?  

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #319 of 559
Just out of curiosity, would be going from D7000 to 507 be a downgrade or a upgrade?
Listening to most music, and is just occasionally a bass-head.

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #321 of 559

Quote:
Having heard the D7000, I personally think any Lambda is an upgrade. But that's just me.

It's not just you~!

@Jodet: The 507 is really comfortable. If you've ever tried a lambda, it's about the same as any other. They look really funky but the pads distribute weight well, the clamping force is low, and they don't slide around if the headband is adjusted right. The ratcheting headband feels the same as the sliders of the past generation lambdas. Perhaps some people will find the real leather pads nicer than pleather but it makes no difference to me. I sleep with them on every night.

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #323 of 559
AH well, will have to save up at least till x-mas then...
Would a woo wee and a t-amp be good enoguh for this?

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #324 of 559
You mean a Woo WEE?  I personally don't care for transformer boxes for Stax...I much prefer dedicated amps.  I'm sure you could find something within your budget.

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #328 of 559
I am getting a raise soon at my part time job... so the 507 is looking increasingly within my financial reach.

Where are people finding these T1 amps and SRM-1 MK2 for cheaper than 500$? I can't find anything on audiogon or on head-fi.

I'd really like to have a balanced amp (my new source will be fully balanced), but to think that people don't even think of STAX amps as sufficient, and Woo amps as over priced... really makes it hard to figure out where I am going to put my money and get an amp.

At this point in time I have 0 DIY skills. Are there any head-fiers who do KGSS on comission? 

Either the good choices are nowhere to be found (that a noob like me can find anyways), or the options are inefficient money wise. I have no qualms paying 1000$ with tax for a headphone... but 1000$ for an amp that isn't even considered fully capable... that is tough to swallow.

If anyone could point me in the right direction to getting a cheap, dedicated stax amp that would be great and most appreciated

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #329 of 559
Stax amps are sufficient for lamdas. It's the O2 that everyone has problems powering.

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #330 of 559
Probably not the most helpful advice, but sometimes you just have to be chummy with other Stax owners. I've gotten first dibs on a KGSS and SRM-717 before they even went to the sales forum just from talking to Stax owners and making friends.

Maybe with all the new Stax amps, earspeakers and systems coming out, there will be an increase in sales of older gear in the coming months too. I'm assuming you've put up a WTB ad already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back