Stax SR-507 - Sept. 1, 2010 , Stax SR-207 - Oct. 1, 2010 What!!
Sep 11, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #166 of 559
There are some reasonably objective criteria of what is "better" in phones, like is there enough bass, treble?   But these days even pretty cheap phones pass such a test.  The real test in my opinion is whether they make both your favorite type of music and many others sound good.  I think some people choose solely on whether their own favorite recordings sound good  but I think that good phones should make a large number of different recordings and types of music sound good.

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #167 of 559

Good first hand impression. Actually Yodobashi is a bit of noisy, i would prefer go to Audio Union for more quiet listening.

Quote:
Flew into Japan today and my hotel is half a block from the Yodobashi in Akihabara.  Guess what they have in stock?  You guess it, 507s.  And they had them on display as well at their listening stations.  I was swapping between the 202s, 404s, 007s, and the new 507s.  The 202s were driven from a 252A amp, the 404s from a SRM-600, and the others from a 006t or 007t as I recall.  Source was a Marantz SACD player.  At home I've got a 252 with SR-003s and a 006t with 404s.  I listened to some classical and some Sonny Rollins.  Bottom line?  Didn't really hear enough difference, so that money that was burning a hole in my pocket is safely still in my pocket.  I didn't think I'd come back with the 507s due to the cost/exchange rate, but once I heard them it sealed the deal.  I can wait.  The 507s, to me, didn't sound considerably better to my ears than the 404s.  Different?  A little bit.  But different isn't necessarily better or worse.  I will say that the construction looks fantastic.  They feel a lot sturdier than my 404s and look much better too.  I'm sure that those that are getting them will enjoy them, but for me, I'm content with what I have.

Sep 12, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #168 of 559

Quote:
Good first hand impression. Actually Yodobashi is a bit of noisy, i would prefer go to Audio Union for more quiet listening.

Which one? I was actually at the Shinjuku location since my wife wanted me to pick up some used opera CDs. When we were here on vacation in April, we found the classical disk union and she broke the bank.  I browsed around the Audio Union next door.  BTW, they have the 507s at that shop for 62000 or so yen.

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #169 of 559

Quote:
well he can't really be wrong, since it is his opinion - but his opinion might not represent what Cyan would like in a headphone :p.

To be fair, I would rather someone be underwhelmed than going absolutely insane over how different sounding they are, only to have FR plots be the same, and people who bought them due to hype say otherwise. 

Only time will tell what the consensus is.

Quote:

This stuff is all subjective anyway.  Just like the cable debate.  Psychoacoustics and the dent these things make on the wallet go a long way towards making things sound spectacular.  When I first heard Stax last fall in Tokyo, I couldn't tell you whether the 202/252 or 404/006t sounded "better".  Only that they sounded different. 

Two excellent posts, we all hear differently and what may be good to one may not to another. I wish some would realize this and stop pushing their agenda, thanks.

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #170 of 559
I'm looking forward to dave650's impressions....word is they are waiting for him at his house but he is somewhere else.

I appreciate all of the impressions for what they are and don't take offense easily so thanks to all posters on this thread. 

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #171 of 559

Quote:
Two excellent posts, we all hear differently and what may be good to one may not to another. I wish some would realize this and stop pushing their agenda, thanks.

That was exactly my point. I get sad when I see someone posting they don't have to consider buying something anymore after reading ONE impression. When I asked "what if he's wrong?" I wasn't implying that his opinion was invalid. I was suggesting in a light-hearted way that perhaps the other person should consider the alternative. Reading one initial opinion isn't the best way of making a decision for yourself.

You should at least read two!

...Only kidding.

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #172 of 559

I think either Ochanomizu or shinjuku Audio Union are fine place. Did you try SR-507 with SRM-007t ?

Quote:
Which one? I was actually at the Shinjuku location since my wife wanted me to pick up some used opera CDs. When we were here on vacation in April, we found the classical disk union and she broke the bank.  I browsed around the Audio Union next door.  BTW, they have the 507s at that shop for 62000 or so yen.

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #173 of 559

why sad, some people after many good impressions still turn away from buying.
blink.gif

Quote:
That was exactly my point. I get sad when I see someone posting they don't have to consider buying something anymore after reading ONE impression. When I asked "what if he's wrong?" I wasn't implying that his opinion was invalid. I was suggesting in a light-hearted way that perhaps the other person should consider the alternative. Reading one initial opinion isn't the best way of making a decision for yourself.

You should at least read two!

...Only kidding.

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #175 of 559
The new headphones sound very interesting. What amp or energizer is everyone planning on using with these.

Are there any amps better than the 007tII in the same price range?

Sep 17, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #178 of 559
Ive had mine for 5 days now running through a T1 amp, blowing me away, sure, but in electrostat land I only have the SR5 to compare it to. I'll write a little more in the next few days

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #179 of 559

Quote:
why sad, some people after many good impressions still turn away from buying.
blink.gif

It's the price that has me stalled a bit...probably because of the weak dollar exchange to the yen....impressions have little to do with my hesitating.  I want to know that there will be enough of an improvement over my 404s...I did bite the bullet and buy the 202s for contrast....and I'm sure, eventually, the SR507s will be the next phone but I haven't received the 202s yet...woo audio was out of stock...so...

Quote:
*gasps*

NEED

MOAR

IMPRESSIONS 

*GASP*

NOW!

Ditto....need.....moar...impressions....X2....I feel your pain!

Quote:
Ive had mine for 5 days now running through a T1 amp, blowing me away, sure, but in electrostat land I only have the SR5 to compare it to. I'll write a little more in the next few days

Aww....dave650...moar....moar...can't wait but good to know that they are blowing you away.  It's going to be hard to get a feel ... I was hoping to find out where they improve on the 404s...I'll be watching for more impressions from you....I know it's early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back