Stax SR-507 - Sept. 1, 2010 , Stax SR-207 - Oct. 1, 2010 What!!
Sep 8, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #136 of 559

Change your delivery address to your current location!

Quote:
Today my SR507s turned up. Great!! Problem is I'm stuck in the middle of my country's biggest state and can't get to them til next week. Such a tease.
mad.gif

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #137 of 559

With the pre-order price, still U$290 more expensive then selling in japan local market.

Quote:
According to Jack Woo, the North American price is set at $1100. Woo Audio will sell it for $1050. The price for people who pre-ordered from Woo Audio will be $1000 shipped.

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #138 of 559

Quote:
The Japanese prices have already hit sub 60kYen so 1100$ is substantially more expensive. 

From where?  66150 yen is the lowest I find.  Not that I'll get a pair when I'm in Tokyo this weekend, but I will search them out for a listen.  The lousy exchange rate is keeping me from these at the moment.  I really hope the Japanese government's efforts to weaken the yen work.  The exchange is just a killer right now.

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #142 of 559

Quote:
From where?  66150 yen is the lowest I find.  Not that I'll get a pair when I'm in Tokyo this weekend, but I will search them out for a listen.  The lousy exchange rate is keeping me from these at the moment.  I really hope the Japanese government's efforts to weaken the yen work.  The exchange is just a killer right now.

Not sure where.  My guy in Japan got them for me and I don't ask too many questions, I just screamed a little bit over the insane exchange rate. 

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #145 of 559

Quote:
LCD2 doesn't destroy any Stax I've heard.  Do I prefer it to some Stax? Yep.  Do I prefer some Stax over the LCD2? Yep.

Thx for your opinion. I've already made the preorder, just hope i will be happier with lcd 2 than non omega staxes (omega are way above my budget).

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #146 of 559

Quote:
Thx for your opinion. I've already made the preorder, just hope i will be happier with lcd 2 than non omega staxes (omega are way above my budget).

Well considering some people can be happy with their LCD-2 over the O2, I think it is safe to say you will be happy with one over the lambdas.

It is entirely possible you will like stats more, the same way you could like the LCD-2 more. That being said, the LCD-2 set up is arguably better (or atleast equal) sounding than the O2 for much less money. So while it is more cost effective, might still not be your, personal, perfect choice, but a great one nonetheless. 

I am extremely interested in the impressions of these new stax, and hope to demo a pair, but I don't think I will actually sink any money into them.

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #147 of 559
You could also say "the Lambda set up is arguably better (or atleast equal) sounding than the LCD2 for much less money." :p  I don't think anybody who has had a well driven O2 setup has said they prefer the LCD2 over it FWIW.  I know I'm not selling my O2 for my LCD2.

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #148 of 559

Quote:
You could also say "the Lambda set up is arguably better (or atleast equal) sounding than the LCD2 for much less money." :p  I don't think anybody who has had a well driven O2 setup has said they prefer the LCD2 over it FWIW.  I know I'm not selling my O2 for my LCD2.

Well if you brought in other factors like buying second hand, you could surely be right.

Brand new, and dollar for dollar I do not agree. LCD-2 are easier to drive, so it is easier to buy a high quality headphone amp for them.

That is always the issue with Stax, you need epic amps to get the voltage swing to drive them -which cost $$ or $ and lots of time. So, while the headphones themselves are cheaper and better value, you need an expensive amp to drive them. My LCD-2 sound very good even out of my iPod although not at their best.

Also, objectively, from what I have seen/read they are better than the lambda series, and offer a more natural, true to life FR. The lambdas seem to either have wonky mids, no bass, or too are too bright. 

But at the end of the day, I would still like to have a stax pair and had I the money I would probably buy an O2 set to try them out in depth.

It will be interesting to see how this new driver changes things up!

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #149 of 559
A few misconceptions.

A Lambda headphone will sound damn good from a relatively "cheap" amp.  If you have a speaker amp, you could get a used Lambda and SRD6 transformer combo for $225-300.  The O2 benefits the most from a great amp and is by far the most power hungry headphone I've owned or had extensive time with.  Sigmas are also power hungry.

I wouldn't trust reviews much at this point just because the LCD2 is still the FOTM.  I don't remember the last time a new headphone wasn't called "the best", a "giant killer", or "better than <some highly regarded headphone>".  Lambdas are over 30 years old and still popular.  If people are still hunting down LCD2s in 30 years I'll be very impressed.  

As for the description of the Lambdas, I can't say I've heard a Lambda that sounded like that.  I agree they are bright, but so is almost every headphone to my ears.  The bass on an electrostat is one of the best things about them to me...I think people who say Lambdas have no bass either haven't heard them or are used to the God-awful monotone bass bloat exhibited by cans such as Denons.  If they had wonky mids, no bass, and were bright then who would like them? :p  I'm not sure I've even read a negative overall impression on a Stax headphone before, which says more than anything.

I do agree that the LCD2 is awesome for the price though. :)  As for the SR507, I have high hopes for this headphone.  I didn't buy into the 404LE hype train, but this headphone looks like it has significant (or at least more substantial) upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back