STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
Aug 19, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #1,261 of 1,367
I love the sound that comes out from 009 using SRM-252S. But now I feel that is has no "body". Will more powerful amp give me better body of the sound?

Aug 19, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #1,262 of 1,367
252S with 009, you’re not just skipping bass, you’re also giving up dynamics, soundstage and joy of listening all together I’m afraid :wink:. There’s a lot of talk about alternative amps in various threads recently, often relaying that false info that “the more powerful amps just really make a difference when listening loud” but that“s not my experience. Soundstage and bass tightness collapses even at low volume when going from say a bhse to a 727 for instance.

For a 009 to not sound shrill, you’re going to unfortunately have to open the wallet. As I recall (I tried once at local store here), the 353x would already be miles better than the 252S for simply just loudness but still a far cry of what the phones are capable of.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #1,263 of 1,367
252S with 009, you’re not just skipping bass, you’re also giving up dynamics, soundstage and joy of listening all together I’m afraid :wink:. There’s a lot of talk about alternative amps in various threads recently, often relaying that false info that “the more powerful amps just really make a difference when listening loud” but that“s not my experience. Soundstage and bass tightness collapses even at low volume when going from say a bhse to a 727 for instance.

For a 009 to not sound shrill, you’re going to unfortunately have to open the wallet. As I recall (I tried once at local store here), the 353x would already be miles better than the 252S for simply just loudness but still a far cry of what the phones are capable of.
I was looking for 717. Will 717 make a big difference for me? Or I will have to end up with BHSE?

Aug 19, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #1,264 of 1,367
I was looking for 717. Will 717 make a big difference for me? Or I will have to end up with BHSE?

The answer is in the question as I sense the dark side of the force is strong in you, hence the famous “Welcome to headfi, sorry for your wallet” :wink:. I hesitated for years on the BHSE, even cancelled my order once in line despite the looong (18 months +) at the time. At the end of the day, I wasn’t disappointed when I received it (also we’ve local meets over the years to confirm bias lol).

If I was going there again, I’d seek a good builder and look for KGGG. I’ve listened to 009S out of @oneguy‘s beautiful build (you should contact him to know the builder) and while no A/B, with the same dac as the one I had at the time, his rig sounded fuller than mine ever did (I had an 009, not 009S though, which explains some of it) while still keeping great dynamics, staging etc.

Aug 19, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #1,265 of 1,367
I love the sound that comes out from 009 using SRM-252S. But now I feel that is has no "body". Will more powerful amp give me better body of the sound?
Are you still using a tube pre-amp? 252s alone can sound thin, but a tube pre-amp should add a lot of body

Aug 19, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #1,266 of 1,367
I love the sound that comes out from 009 using SRM-252S. But now I feel that is has no "body". Will more powerful amp give me better body of the soun

009 in general is a bit lightweight, which comes with it's advantages and disadvantages, but better weight and body of the music is definitely one of the top areas a higher quality amp will improve on.

Aug 19, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #1,267 of 1,367
Are you still using a tube pre-amp? 252s alone can sound thin, but a tube pre-amp should add a lot of body
Oh yes, I am still tube-preamping 252S. Without tubes I can’t even listen to 009 on 252S. It did game me some body, but I feel that it’s not enough.

Aug 19, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #1,268 of 1,367
009 in general is a bit lightweight, which comes with it's advantages and disadvantages, but better weight and body of the music is definitely one of the top areas a higher quality amp will improve on.
I am not ready for BHSE. It’s too much at the moment for me. I need to find a good cheaper amp. That’s why I was thinking about 717, and I can tube-preamp it.

Aug 19, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #1,271 of 1,367
I am not ready for BHSE. It’s too much at the moment for me. I need to find a good cheaper amp. That’s why I was thinking about 717, and I can tube-preamp it.

Lol not saying you have to have the BHSE. Just saying a upgrade either way is worth trying.

Aug 30, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #1,273 of 1,367
Looking at purchasing the SR-009S. The BHSE is way above budget sadly, so I'm trying to decide between the SRM-700T or SRM-700S. Should I be going for the tube option?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back