STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
Nov 20, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #1,111 of 1,367
Most important about 007 vs 009 is that...
009 is for big heads all right.
007 has a very tight headband and is small.
007 has non-rotating cups -- hard to get a seal.
007 are light and compact.
009 is this delicate piece, not feeling so sturdy as 007.
It's hard for me to use 007.
007 are perfect for my wife's head.

Then the tuning is not so very much different.
Yeah, 007 feel a bit more bassy and pleasant.
Feel almost V-shaped, maybe, even if it's not.
But have you tested modding the 009 pads?
See if you have foam rings and try to open the 009 pads.
You can easily insert a foam ring inside.
Hear what happens yourself.
*I see some of you have Sonorous X.
I did this by getting the foam ring from SX pads.

Then FR measurements. Of course that's not all.
But they are very important nevertheless.
They show the actual character of the headphone.
And they can destroy myths people are spreading.
Like calling V-shaped headphones neutral.
Or calling a complete mess their endgame.
On the other hand, there are exceptions to this as well...

Here are my comparisons (IEC711 mic with ears from EARS):

1. 007 vs 009 shows how very similar they actually are. Let's destroy some myths...
What 007 actually have is more subbass extension. And more upper treble. U-shape?
stax 009 vs 007.jpg

2. Both headphones have some funky channel imbalance.
007 channel imbal.jpg
009 channel imbal.jpg

3. Against Focal Clear
009 vs clear.jpg

007 vs clear.jpg

4. Against Focal Utopia (I can't believe so many people are OK with these peaky mids and weak imaging / staging)
009 vs utopia.jpg
007 vs utopia.jpg
Utopia vs 009.jpg
Utopia vs 009 mod.jpg

5. Against Audio Technica AWKT
007 vs awkt.jpg
009 vs awkt.jpg

Nov 21, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #1,113 of 1,367
Most important about 007 vs 009 is that...
009 is for big heads all right.
007 has a very tight headband and is small.
007 has non-rotating cups -- hard to get a seal.
007 are light and compact.
009 is this delicate piece, not feeling so sturdy as 007.
It's hard for me to use 007.
007 are perfect for my wife's head.

Then the tuning is not so very much different.
Yeah, 007 feel a bit more bassy and pleasant.
Feel almost V-shaped, maybe, even if it's not.
But have you tested modding the 009 pads?
See if you have foam rings and try to open the 009 pads.
You can easily insert a foam ring inside.
Hear what happens yourself.
*I see some of you have Sonorous X.
I did this by getting the foam ring from SX pads.

Then FR measurements. Of course that's not all.
But they are very important nevertheless.
They show the actual character of the headphone.
And they can destroy myths people are spreading.
Like calling V-shaped headphones neutral.
Or calling a complete mess their endgame.
On the other hand, there are exceptions to this as well...

Here are my comparisons (IEC711 mic with ears from EARS):

1. 007 vs 009 shows how very similar they actually are. Let's destroy some myths...
What 007 actually have is more subbass extension. And more upper treble. U-shape?

2. Both headphones have some funky channel imbalance.

3. Against Focal Clear

4. Against Focal Utopia (I can't believe so many people are OK with these peaky mids and weak imaging / staging)

5. Against Audio Technica AWKT

I will be interest on moding my 009 by using Final Sonorous X foam ring, is it possible if you can kindly share how a foam ring should place in the 009 may be by a photo? So i can try my best on replicating that.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #1,114 of 1,367
Please can you also make a comparsion-chart: clear-utopia
Clear vs Utopia.png
Clear is warmer with better bass extension, Utopia is more peaky and brighter.
(6kHz is the ear canal resonance on my IEC711 - don't treat this as treble peak).

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #1,115 of 1,367
I will be interest on moding my 009 by using Final Sonorous X foam ring, is it possible if you can kindly share how a foam ring should place in the 009 may be by a photo? So i can try my best on replicating that.
You need to take off the pads (lot of unscrewing, I knew it's screwed).
Then notice they are not sewed or glued in any way, you can "unwind them".
Inside you will find 009 foam. Just put SX foam over it and wind them back :)
That will make the pads higher and you will get a darker, smoother SR-009 sound.

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #1,116 of 1,367
The problem with 007 is that It requires a very good amp and a dac at the same time. Without a good dac, bass doesn't get tight, treble becomes sibilant and on top of all 007s can't do what they do best: delivering a thick mid texture with a lot of detail. Without a good amp, treble becomes mush, mids sound too dark and overall it sounds like 300-500$ headphones at best.

009/S doesn't require a very good amp to start sounding pleasant. 009/S do sound pleasant even with average amps. Definitely they both scale with better gear, however due to the fact that 007 has very low diaphragm tension and have relatively a closed design to 009, it's definitely more timid when it comes to showing it's full potential. 009 is more dac dependent than 007(better dacs have better sibilance control)

when they are at their full potential, 007 is slightly behind in terms of detail, has better bass in both detail and tonality(sounds thicker and more realistic). 009S has huge stage, clearly better detail and both have top imaging where everything feels just right. Because 007 drivers are acoustically damped more(stators have less perforated area,with a thick ring on the edges), they provide better mid texture too however it costs them to sound intimate in terms of soundstage compared to 009. Pick your poison basically: You want to sacrifice mid texture and you want more detail with bigger stage? 009. You want to sacrifice a little bit of detail and wide staging for thicker, punchier bass and better defined mids? 007. I don't want to comment on tonality and "timbre" subjectivist stuff, those are yours to decide.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #1,117 of 1,367
Nov 21, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #1,118 of 1,367
I think it's easier, pick one:
Big head = choose 009
Small head = choose 007
:wink:
medium head like me need to buy both!! so before dinner I will use the 007 but after dinner I will be fat so I use the 009 and before sleep if I want some good headphone dream I need the smoother 009S lol

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #1,119 of 1,367
stax 009 vs 007.jpg

I think this is a great example as to why graphs hold very little stock in my judgement/purchase decisions. "Similar" is a very broad and subjective term so I won't dispute that. Most stax headphones I've owned/heard all have that airy/detailed/quick sound signature as a base if you will. But that's about where the similarities end with these two imo.

The one positive of the quarantine is that I've had the opportunity to collect and listen/compare a lot of cans at the same time. The 009, not without its own faults, is definitely out of the 007s league by quite a bit--more detailed, larger presence and open sound, more refined mids and highs. It is the only electrostatic headphone that competes with the TC and Susvara I have on hand, so much so that it's mainly the only one that gets head time for me. This wasn't the case before. Prior to owning the two of them, the 007 MK1 and HE60 both got a TON of head time alongside the 009. But the two of them, no matter how much I love them each (and check my past posts, I LOVE the HE60 and definitely like the MK1 quite a bit), simply aren't on that same TOTL level.

Nothing against your post at all, just trying to help for anyone making purchasing decisions.

Nov 22, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #1,120 of 1,367
I think this is a great example as to why graphs hold very little stock in my judgement/purchase decisions. "Similar" is a very broad and subjective term so I won't dispute that. Most stax headphones I've owned/heard all have that airy/detailed/quick sound signature as a base if you will. But that's about where the similarities end with these two imo.

The one positive of the quarantine is that I've had the opportunity to collect and listen/compare a lot of cans at the same time. The 009, not without its own faults, is definitely out of the 007s league by quite a bit--more detailed, larger presence and open sound, more refined mids and highs. It is the only electrostatic headphone that competes with the TC and Susvara I have on hand, so much so that it's mainly the only one that gets head time for me. This wasn't the case before. Prior to owning the two of them, the 007 MK1 and HE60 both got a TON of head time alongside the 009. But the two of them, no matter how much I love them each (and check my past posts, I LOVE the HE60 and definitely like the MK1 quite a bit), simply aren't on that same TOTL level.

Nothing against your post at all, just trying to help for anyone making purchasing decisions.
I agree. Measurements show tuning - not technical provess. You can have great neutral tuning on a low end and high end device. 007 and 009 are a bit similar in both actually, with 009 being drfinitely better technically and 007 having better tuning mainly to more bass extension as shown on the graphs. It’s still a great headphone, I wouldn’t diminish it.

Nov 22, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #1,121 of 1,367

may i ask which amp you use for your 007? since I just bought a pair of new old stock 007mk1 from japan and it haven't even arrive yet, I just cant stop to wonder how will it perform with my mjölnir kgsshv carbon, the reason i bought the 007 is i am up for some change as i have been using 009 for near 7years now...

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #1,122 of 1,367
I agree. Measurements show tuning - not technical provess. You can have great neutral tuning on a low end and high end device. 007 and 009 are a bit similar in both actually, with 009 being drfinitely better technically and 007 having better tuning mainly to more bass extension as shown on the graphs. It’s still a great headphone, I wouldn’t diminish it.

Agree. And I know you weren't trying to diminish it, you were just offering perspective and an honest opinion. It was much appreciated, and the graphs are definitely interesting.

may i ask which amp you use for your 007? since I just bought a pair of new old stock 007mk1 from japan and it haven't even arrive yet, I just cant stop to wonder how will it perform with my mjölnir kgsshv carbon, the reason i bought the 007 is i am up for some change as i have been using 009 for near 7years now...

Blue Hawaii mainly, but I fire up the Woo Wes every know and then as well. I've heard great things about the carbon honestly, just haven't had a chance to hear it. Although I don't have personal experience, I wouldn't be worried but I'll let someone else chime in. It sounds like it really holds a candle to each. Also, congrats. It's an excellent headphone for sure and unlike a lot of Stax. If you can secure one, that's definitely a good thing.

Nov 23, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #1,123 of 1,367
Unfortunately I have only the basic amps for Stax, namely 007t and mobile D10. Hard for me to prioritize something better as I'm mostly listening on the go, walking around home, or even dancing :) So DAP is my main source throughout the day and that's why I'm considering selling my Stax. End game potential, yes, but I just don't sit in an armchair and listen to music. On the other hand, the best thing I have ever heard was 009 and Orpheus connected to something called LST, which is an electrostatic transformer for a loudspeaker amp developed by a Polish engineer living in Germany, I don't know how and where to buy it nowadays.

Nov 23, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #1,125 of 1,367
guys,

People claiming big differences between 009 and 009S I'm a bit sceptical of. They measure almost identical. My guess is that it is a slight refinement and retuning.
I auditioned 009 and 009S at HeadAmp through Blue Hawaii SE + Holospring DAC + SU1 interface .
I expected to walk out with 009S, as it was supposed to be latest and greatest from Stax.
However, I ended up buying 009 instead - female vocals sounded too thin on 009S. Otherwise, everything else was the same.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back