STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
Mar 17, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #1,021 of 1,367
Mar 17, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #1,022 of 1,367
This is certainly the only path for STAX to end the hobby.

Nah, they'll eventually find something annoying about it, like the cost, the heat it produces, how much volume it takes up, and sell it, only to build back up to it again eventually. It never ends.

Mar 17, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #1,023 of 1,367
Nah, they'll eventually find something annoying about it, like the cost, the heat it produces, how much volume it takes up, and sell it, only to build back up to it again eventually. It never ends.
Although hearing is believing! :stuck_out_tongue:

Mar 18, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #1,024 of 1,367

There's definitely truth here and it's one of the reasons I exited the hobby years ago. And although I joked about the T2, these two amps are definitely the limit for me. I used to throw all my funds into this hobby when younger lol, now I have limits due to other hobbies, stock investments, bills (lol) etc.

It can become addictive though, so definitely relevant.

Mar 19, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #1,027 of 1,367
With the value of currencies and stocks dropping they way they are, hifi might be a good investment :p

Very true, absolutely a part of my portfolio lol

Apr 2, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #1,028 of 1,367
Stax were always very interesting to me but random question, does the Stax community feel like the interest in Stax has dropped recently specifically year 2019 2020?

Apr 24, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #1,032 of 1,367
Although I had enjoyed fast and exciting sound out of Sr1a driven by Jot R for the last three months, I keep going back to 009s driven by Kgsshv Carbon amp from time to time to get more relaxed sound.

Especially violin has more beautiful tone through 009s.

To tame somewhat hot sound of Sr1a, I ordered and received Freya+ this morning

I skipped JJ stock tubes and inserted Nos Amperex 6sn7gtb in gain stage and Sylvania 6sn7gtb in buffer stage.

After running demagnetization tracks twice( 6min each) on Freya and Jot R, I started listening to Capricio Italian (Tchaikovsky) directed by Bernstein.

Wow, Freya with Jot R sounds much better than Jot R only with more relaxed and nuanced details but with minimal loss of transparency

Old Jazz recording by Benny Goodman sounds more relaxed with less hot edge from Freya and Jot R.

My digital source is Dave and HMS.

I still have several choice of tube rolling with Sylvania vt231, RCA gray glass 6sn7gt and all quad Syl 6sn7 gtb.

Encouraged by this result, I had tried Freya to Kgsshv Carbon amp to find its effect on sound of 009s.

Wow it make sound of 009s more graceful and natural with fuller bass.

Although I had been using only tube amplifier in my 2 channel system except driving subwoofer for last 20 years, I had chosen Carbon over BHSE since Carbon has a reputation of giving more fuller and deeper bass than BHSE.

But Freya + Kgsshv Carbon really make 009s sing.

T2 may be better than Freya + Kgsshv Carbon.

:)

But I am not ready to shell out 10K$ on T2.

I will do more tube rolling on Freya to make it better match for 009s.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #1,033 of 1,367
I wonder if there's a way to close the bass port on the SR-009 or is it already closed? I know closing it on the SR-007 mk2 is a huge improvement in the bass, WAY more than trying to tune the energizer/cables.

Apr 24, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #1,034 of 1,367
I wonder if there's a way to close the bass port on the SR-009 or is it already closed? I know closing it on the SR-007 mk2 is a huge improvement in the bass, WAY more than trying to tune the energizer/cables.
With Freya and Kgsshv Carbon, I do not need to close the bass port to get more improvement out of 009s.

It is already excellent with tuneful and pretty deep bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back