STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
Mar 15, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #1,006 of 1,367
BTW, the UV thing is new to me. I don't have this issue because where the headphones are used and stored doesn't have a window nearby, however, I do have the CPC-1 (STAX plastic cover + wooden stand).

Out of interest, I tried to see if there was any mention about this cover offering any UV protection (above and beyond being what you get out of a layer of plastic) and there is none mentioned.

I'm curious, however, if people using the CPC-1 near a window or a light source might be experiencing an issue with the driver that is closer to the window as part of this problem.

Thoughts?
Just use something to cover up the UV ? Like a piece of thick foam or cardboard or something else?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #1,007 of 1,367
I also have BHSE and booth SR009 and SR009s, and... I have not listened to the SR009 since I have the SR009s....

Thanks for the reply! Good to know, what were some of the differences that stood out? Thanks again.

Mar 16, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #1,009 of 1,367
Regarding this, my advice is to spend a measly amount on your nearest seamstress and have her sew you a cover. Yes, really.
(not being sexist btw, they're usually females, no offense was meant)

I have two kinds of covers; one is made from the same waterproof material jacket hoods are made of (slightly checkered, slightly glossy if that helps?), as it also happens to be extremely good at dust proofing. It's an ugly big square (has to fit even the Sigma entire) that when 'fitted' extends almost as far down as the desk's surface because dust and static combined don't need gravity to cause damage; it must be a full cover. Looks ugly though, yes.
The other is from the kind of semi-elastic (and always black) glossy thin fabric jogging pants are made of; reminds of NYLON though it isn't, as it has some linen in it as well. Also as tall.

Why two?
The latter for long term storage. Takes less space than the former and still covers your headphone entirely. But being of a much thinner material, it's also harder to dust (say with a Swiffer) because you'll move it and the headphones inside and harder to handle, as some care's required so that you don't bump/hit the headphone, especially when taking it off. But excellent due to its fabric for longterm storage.
The former for the one pair of headphones residing on your desk or right next to it, ie the ones you use every day. Being thicker and heavier, it's easier to take on and off without hassle (ie extending your hand too much), easier to 'sit' over them (being thicker means it also doesn't lose its shape, so this will remain as easy throughout the years) and harder to budge (say from a draft while having the window open). It's also impossible to get sunrays through it.

No offense to my favourite company, but their inhouse cover is a joke.
Cost me today's equivalent of 20 euros for the good one and 15 euros for each of the jacket-like ones (excuse my English..)? Worthy an investment and after 40ish years without the slightest issue on any of my phones, i think i'm entitled to attest as to their effectiveness.

Said it elsewhere, treat them as what they are; precision instruments. You don't just leave them hanging around :)
(inferring from the poster's comments above, i find it shocking they had them in a place directly hit by sunrays; 101 here. Again, no offense meant)

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #1,010 of 1,367
I use cover but nothing fancy :D. It can cover both 009 and 009s on one stand. I only have 009 in these pics. Also meant to take pictures. My windows will be down usually, and the blind is UV blocking.
where do I get this cover ? I got it from when my wife bought new bed set. This was the plastic casing of the set. I simply vacuum and clean as much as I could and here it is
92E581A5-EBB1-46E7-B68F-64631CFC90C5.jpeg258AAA37-1D7F-452A-BA69-086616A11A34.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #1,011 of 1,367
Thanks for the reply! Good to know, what were some of the differences that stood out? Thanks again.

before I needed a SR007 for lay back listening and a SR009 for chirurgical listening. Now, the 009s replace booth: It sits in between, and i sperfect (at least with a BHSE). So I sold the 007 and consider selling the 009.

Mar 16, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #1,012 of 1,367
The UV light and plastic degradation is a general phenomenon, there is a Wikipedia article about it - Google UV degradation. I remember reading about UV light gradually weakening auto seat belts years (maybe decades) ago.

I’m aware of UV degradation in general. My question was about the CPC-1 STAX plastic cover and it not mentioning if it was UV resistant (for the sake of the headphones).

Since the CPC-1 is not a cheap product and if STAX were interested in protecting against UV, this product would filter out UV to protect the headphones, and proudly say so in a product description.

But this UV protection is unknown, barring some scientific tests which are out of most’s reach.

Mar 16, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #1,013 of 1,367
before I needed a SR007 for lay back listening and a SR009 for chirurgical listening. Now, the 009s replace booth: It sits in between, and i sperfect (at least with a BHSE). So I sold the 007 and consider selling the 009.

Thank you! That's helpful. Seeing as I have the MK1 and HE60, I may try the 009 first and see how it performs in comparison.. I like the idea of having 3 cans I use if they are slightly different enough. Maybe get familiar with it before I take the leap for the 009s to understand the differences. Sounds like most are really enjoying them so thanks again for the feedback.

Mar 16, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #1,014 of 1,367
plastic casing

I know it's just my OCD here, i do; but plastic and volts is not my favourite kind of combo! :)
(though again, am aware, lol)

As to what's known and unknown.. extended exposure to sunlight eats up all surfaces, burns fabric, bleaches plastic and wood, etc. etc. For most people, protection from that would be protection enough, just common sense really.
We do agree on their version of a cover however, they could certainly have done better.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #1,016 of 1,367

I copy my post (#870) stating the differences between SR009 and SR009S --as I feel it:

"Being the happy owner of both the SR009 and SR009S --connected to a BHSE with Philips Miniwatt NOS tubes, see my profile--, I spend a lot of time trying to compare them. The following différences, expressed as "What's better in each", have appeared so far:

--For the 009S: richer, more exact tones; more micro details
--For the 009: lower bass level, but bass sounds seem more accurate, well defined, "square"; higher sonic dynamics, especially with percussions (drums, piano…)

Of course, the whole thing depends on the kind of music played and the listener's hearing habits. For instance, the better dynamics of the 009 is certainly due to a higher treble level, to which one quickly get used; fixing this defect can be felt, for a moment, as a lack.
"

Mar 17, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #1,018 of 1,367
I copy my post (#870) stating the differences between SR009 and SR009S --as I feel it:

"Being the happy owner of both the SR009 and SR009S --connected to a BHSE with Philips Miniwatt NOS tubes, see my profile--, I spend a lot of time trying to compare them. The following différences, expressed as "What's better in each", have appeared so far:

--For the 009S: richer, more exact tones; more micro details
--For the 009: lower bass level, but bass sounds seem more accurate, well defined, "square"; higher sonic dynamics, especially with percussions (drums, piano…)

Of course, the whole thing depends on the kind of music played and the listener's hearing habits. For instance, the better dynamics of the 009 is certainly due to a higher treble level, to which one quickly get used; fixing this defect can be felt, for a moment, as a lack.
"

Thank you, that's really really helpful. And totally, it all comes down to preferences ultimately. That's why I've been so thorough in asking, as I know mine pretty well. I generally like brighter phones with treble that others consider "hot". I also appreciate warmer phones with a different presentation however. So the goal has been adding a stable of say 3 cans that differ from one another while also complimenting each other. I think given my stable, the 009 makes sense to start with.

The bigger thing for me to now figure out is what to do with the BHSE and WES lol. I entirely expected to get rid of one and assumed the WES, but I really like them both. They are very different but both have different strengths.. Anyways, that's a different topic and I'll start a thread with some minor impressions at a future date.

Again, appreciate the insight.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #1,019 of 1,367
Thank you, that's really really helpful. And totally, it all comes down to preferences ultimately. That's why I've been so thorough in asking, as I know mine pretty well. I generally like brighter phones with treble that others consider "hot". I also appreciate warmer phones with different presentation. So the goal has been adding a stable of say 3 cans that differ from one another while also complimenting each other. I think given my stable, I think the 009 makes sense to start with.

The bigger thing for me to now figure out what to do with the BHSE and WES lol. I entirely expected to get rid of one and assumed the WES, but I really like them both. They are very different but both have different strengths.. Anyways, that's a different topic and I'll start a thread with some minor impressions at a future date.

Again, appreciate the insight.
Sell both, and get a T2 LOL!!!

Mar 17, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #1,020 of 1,367
Sell both, and get a T2 LOL!!!

I hate that I have honestly thought about this before you mentioning it now lol. I'm so frustrated.. it's like this hobby never stops, I may be asking you for T2 impressions next lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back