STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
Apr 24, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #1,036 of 1,367
Stax were always very interesting to me but random question, does the Stax community feel like the interest in Stax has dropped recently specifically year 2019 2020?
Good question. I think in the competitive markets of high end headphones, and the fact things have moved forward a lot since the 009 was introduced, it is probably right. However, the market is expanding so probably more buyers for Stax anyway. But IMO the crown has moved...

Apr 24, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #1,037 of 1,367
Good question. I think in the competitive markets of high end headphones, and the fact things have moved forward a lot since the 009 was introduced, it is probably right. However, the market is expanding so probably more buyers for Stax anyway. But IMO the crown has moved...
Ish.
Is the market moving, yes. Abyss OG was garbage and today is fickle but good sounding. HiFiMan are crooks but the market seems to be forgiving of their behavior
and their products have relative good sound quality. Audeze keeps improving upon the sound -- just -- yet their QC is still DOG.
Boys like DCA are losing market-space as the similar yet superior ZMF is taking over. And HEDD Audio and RAAL are looking to disrupt.

However, In general, I feel like high-end audio has dropped. Perhaps I'm off the mark, but in the last 3 years traffic driven has slown. The market-value of very good headphones
is consistent in lower value. Take Focal Utopia, for example and its standard $2k market price from the MSRP.

This, to me, seems correlated with Head-Fi and the platform change which, at the time, saw many members just give up in frustration.

However, STAX is still relevant because they still compete at the tip of the sphere. Eh. Well, just with the absolute third-party amplification.
And in general, the DIY crowd will likely favor and champion their survival. As they did to example their dominance for so long.

Apr 24, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #1,038 of 1,367
I think in the competitive markets of high end headphones, and the fact things have moved forward a lot since the 009 was introduced, it is probably right.

If Stax wants to remain a top player, they need to come up with new headphones that are at least as good (build quality and sound-wise) as the old Omega's (or something better, it has been 30years since!) also it wouldn't do them much harm releasing finally some very decent amplifier of their own, but nothing like the mediocre and overpriced SRM-T8000.

Apr 24, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #1,040 of 1,367
Ish.
Is the market moving, yes. Abyss OG was garbage and today is fickle but good sounding. HiFiMan are crooks but the market seems to be forgiving of their behavior
and their products have relative good sound quality. Audeze keeps improving upon the sound -- just -- yet their QC is still DOG.
Boys like DCA are losing market-space as the similar yet superior ZMF is taking over. And HEDD Audio and RAAL are looking to disrupt.

However, In general, I feel like high-end audio has dropped. Perhaps I'm off the mark, but in the last 3 years traffic driven has slown. The market-value of very good headphones
is consistent in lower value. Take Focal Utopia, for example and its standard $2k market price from the MSRP.

This, to me, seems correlated with Head-Fi and the platform change which, at the time, saw many members just give up in frustration.

However, STAX is still relevant because they still compete at the tip of the sphere. Eh. Well, just with the absolute third-party amplification.
And in general, the DIY crowd will likely favor and champion their survival. As they did to example their dominance for so long.
What's your current fave headphone? Well written btw.

Apr 24, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #1,041 of 1,367
Ish.
Is the market moving, yes. Abyss OG was garbage and today is fickle but good sounding.

IMO the Abyss TC is top tier, nothing I have heard can match it, if well driven (and adjusted).
HiFiMan are crooks but the market seems to be forgiving of their behavior
and their products have relative good sound quality.
Agree.
Audeze keeps improving upon the sound -- just -- yet their QC is still DOG.
Audeze have superb service post sales, in fact have repaired drivers in second hand out of warranty headphones. All HPs have failures. Audeze have got better than th eold days. The LCD4 is both well built and sound great IMO.
RAAL not a complete solution to my ears, sounds like what is is, a ribbon tweater.

I think the market is bigger than 5 years ago. More people working / listening from home (not coronovirus related). Young guys seem to have more disposable income.

A lot of the old crowd has gone I agree, but they are replaced. If you check on the members on head-fi for example, 500K+.

Stax is a small market v in ears, portables, even Planars now. It is a small company so if it stays small will survive I think. Biggest downer IMO is the need for an extra amp
and unless they make a sound choice, performance is not realised, or even do they realise it is holding them back (in most cases, not hard core users on here).

Apr 24, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #1,043 of 1,367
What's your current fave headphone? Well written btw.
It depends with qualifiers.
The most enjoyable I've ever heard is the Verite. Providing more than enough technical merit -- it blends in enough coloration without sacrifice to constitute a real changing of the guard.

Apr 24, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #1,045 of 1,367
1.IMO the Abyss TC is top tier, nothing I have heard can match it, if well driven (and adjusted).
2.Audeze have superb service post sales, in fact have repaired drivers in second hand out of warranty headphones. All HPs have failures. Audeze have got better than th eold days. The LCD4 is both well built and sound great IMO.

3.RAAL not a complete solution to my ears, sounds like what is is, a ribbon tweater.

4.I think the market is bigger than 5 years ago. More people working / listening from home (not coronovirus related). Young guys seem to have more disposable income.
5.A lot of the old crowd has gone I agree, but they are replaced. If you check on the members on head-fi for example, 500K+.

6.Stax is a small market v in ears, portables, even Planars now. It is a small company so if it stays small will survive I think. Biggest downer IMO is the need for an extra amp
and unless they make a sound choice, performance is not realised, or even do they realise it is holding them back (in most cases, not hard core users on here).
1. Yes. Top tier performance ability. No, blatant faults as fit and placement are fickle but adjustable.
And no, the RAAL outperforms it and really everything save for bass-response in the last word.

2. They've always had great support. And it's necessitated now and has been because they have such a high-failure rate. To obfuscate with a generalization that headphones fail, is your choice. It is, however, ignorant to ignore statistics.

In fact, you can argue some parallel to STAX in recent history -- although less severe and much less apparent through their history.

In this regard, I have always admired Sennheiser in such a high regard because of their quality control.

3. If you prefer an more intimate presentation with great detail, presence and body to the RAAL, I concede to your point.
If you argue against the absolute speed, resolution and EQ response, no.

They are not perfect, and In fact, I have sold them, but they are absolutely impressive.
And IMO they are the future of next-gen with some correctives.

4/5. Bigger in some ways. And in-turn, fragmented in others.
However you qualify 'high-end' I feel I've seen a drop.
What is evident is a bigger pool of players, with a divisive nature of choice.
I am simply just not seeing the same traffic for ANY headphone.
Be it ZMF, RAAL, STAX, Focal, Audeze.
I recall blatant numbers of posters, lurkers, etc.
Perhaps my perception is blinded by the more disperse nature of audio today.

6. STAX has always been small. That's irrelevant.
They've always competed from entry to high-end.

And as I've outlined (in the STAX thread,) their direct-competition in their space, the DIY crowd is always
going to be in their favor and against them.
If even pushing the envelope.
No matter, STAX, for me, is a headphone company more than a amplifier manufacturer.

Aside: If you take any STAX amplifier and compare their ability to compete in the space, they are simply confined by a bottom line. No matter what criticism you find towards their recent design, It was never competitive.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #1,046 of 1,367
RAAL I think you either love it or hate it, haven't seen much middleground on impressions. I thought the speed and resolution was impressive yet fatiguing, and the nail in the coffin was lack of bass. It was a gimmicky but unique experience.

Apr 25, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #1,047 of 1,367
Does anybody encountered any variation in sound characteristics of 009S between different headphones? Before I bought mine I demoed the headphone many times at various retailers and found the sound to be consistent. When I bought mine I thought it sounded a bit duller than I remembered (just missing a bit of sparkle). It might be just an impression but still I can not shake it and with first opportunity I would like to compare it with another copy to see if mine is indeed sounding different.

Apr 25, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #1,048 of 1,367
Does anybody encountered any variation in sound characteristics of 009S between different headphones? Before I bought mine I demoed the headphone many times at various retailers and found the sound to be consistent. When I bought mine I thought it sounded a bit duller than I remembered (just missing a bit of sparkle). It might be just an impression but still I can not shake it and with first opportunity I would like to compare it with another copy to see if mine is indeed sounding different.
Let me ask the obligatory question: what's your chain of components? What components were used in the demos?

Finally, can you take your headphones to the place(s) where you demoed to do a direct comparison?

Apr 25, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #1,049 of 1,367
Let me ask the obligatory question: what's your chain of components? What components were used in the demos?

Finally, can you take your headphones to the place(s) where you demoed to do a direct comparison?

You are probably right, chain was never exactly the same and is difficult to actually judge something from memories. When I demoed the 009s I was using mostly Chord Qutest with SRM 252S, 353X, 007tii, 727tii and t8000, in other shop I was using Chord MScaler with TT2 and SRM 252S, 353X and T8000, while in another I was using Hugo2 with 353x and some Woo staff (which was really bad).

At home I'm using Chord Mscaler with TT2 into Mjolnir Carbon and I have a SRM 252S which is now delegated to bedroom duty with a L700 MK2 and a Chord Hugo.

I did all demo's in Singapore and next time I'll be there I am planning to take my 009S and try it side by side and see if there's a difference in the same chain and compared with another copy of the same headphone.

When I bought it (from one of the shops in question) I tried it on the spot and I remember it seemed to sound a bit different but I was thinking as being new a bit of burn in was maybe required.

I am talking of very small differences and impressions so take all this for what it is.

I also demoed the L700 and my impression was that is warmer than 009s and a bit less resolving with a smaller and closer sound stage. My copy of L700 mk2 (which I bought blindly, based on my impression on original L700 I have listened in shops) is actually brighter than my 009s and presenting more details but not in a pleasant way (think like an excessively sharpen picture).

L700mkii might have been changed by STAX to a different signature from the original L700, there are not many comparisons out there.

I was just wondering how good is the consistency of sound between samples and if somebody have similar experience?
Is STAX production process ensuring we get the same sound out of each ear speaker or some of them will sound a bit different? I'm guessing not a lot of people have many copies of the same headphone to compare between them.

Apr 25, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #1,050 of 1,367
Just chiming in given the recent discussion. I think it's hard justifying paying for a top tier Stax amp (whether that's a carbon, BHSE, whatever it is to the individual) when there's truly only 3-5 TOTL headphones to pair with it. I've bought a lot of gear recently with the hopes of pairing down to one rig and I don't think I can do so. Stats just have a magic that's hard to replicate. That said, it feels quite silly having a $5k amp and only a few choices of TOTL headphones to try out/pair with them.. with no sign of anything in the future to be released (at least that's unique and isn't the 007 and 009). Outside of the MK1, HE60 and 009, I have no desire to buy any of the other stats.. I can't say that's the case for non-stat cans. At least if I purchase a top of the line dynamic amp I know I'll have new exciting headphones to try or settle on for years to come and usually cheaper. That said, a great stat rig is just pure magic and does some things better that non-stat rigs rarely can.

As far as the commentary on the TC, definitely one of the best HPs I've ever heard. The fit is a PITA though and it needs to be dialed in right to sound that way. The issue with this is that the fit sometimes needs to be changed based on the genre or song you're listening to. I've figured it out for the most part and I'm willing to deal with it, but it couldn't be my only headphone..just feels impractical. However, the 009 or HE60 could. I go back and forth over which presentation I prefer between the TC and the 009.. I think ultimately the 009 for overall cohesion of the sound. But the TC has better bass and a true holographic sound, both very enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back