STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
Oct 8, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #617 of 1,367
Did the 009S sound very similar to the 009 when using the BHSE?
They sound pretty similar in general. The voicing of BHSE just puts it on the fence where roughly half will prefer the 009 over the S being too warm, and the other half will prefer the S (I slightly preferred 009S here). With Purk's Carbon (brighter, more forward and aggressive voicing than BHSE), the 009S was the clear favorite for both Purk and I - that's the biggest difference I've heard on these two headphones, but again it's mostly about how the voicings align. The T2 is another 50/50 proposition. Though I haven't heard the T8000, all impressions seem to indicate that it's voiced a bit bright, and works better with the 009S (though not nearly at the technical performance level of any modern KG designed amp).

I think it's not worth stressing the differences between 009 and 009S, other than making a good amp pairing to your chosen headphone.

Oct 8, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #618 of 1,367
Oct 8, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #620 of 1,367
They sound pretty similar in general. The voicing of BHSE just puts it on the fence where roughly half will prefer the 009 over the S being too warm, and the other half will prefer the S (I slightly preferred 009S here). With Purk's Carbon (brighter, more forward and aggressive voicing than BHSE), the 009S was the clear favorite for both Purk and I - that's the biggest difference I've heard on these two headphones, but again it's mostly about how the voicings align. The T2 is another 50/50 proposition. Though I haven't heard the T8000, all impressions seem to indicate that it's voiced a bit bright, and works better with the 009S (though not nearly at the technical performance level of any modern KG designed amp).

I think it's not worth stressing the differences between 009 and 009S, other than making a good amp pairing to your chosen headphone.

This probably shows how much of an outlier I am. I'm also using a KGSSHV Carbon, which I can say is more forward and aggressive than the BHSE (and probably brighter), and I don't want the SR-009's brightness or speed toned down at all. I even avoid interconnects and DACs that sound laid back, pairing the system with ultra revealing ones.

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #622 of 1,367
This probably shows how much of an outlier I am. I'm also using a KGSSHV Carbon, which I can say is more forward and aggressive than the BHSE (and probably brighter), and I don't want the SR-009's brightness or speed toned down at all. I even avoid interconnects and DACs that sound laid back, pairing the system with ultra revealing ones.

I found the brightness of the Carbon and 009 too much in the end. It both got in the way and sounded unnatural to my ears. And bear in mind I have 58 year old ears and use a tubed R2R DAC. You can tame it a bit by reducing the mA on the PS from 20mA to 16mA. Some owners have done that and liked the effect. Also I used (in the end) a bit of EQ around 6Khz and up of about -3 dB.

Oct 17, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #623 of 1,367
Polite way to phrase that. I wouldn't have put it that way myself....

Back to the Circlotron, is it a Push Pull design? I think I remember reading a post way back on HC? My curiosity keep coming back to that insane MalValve I heard at Munich this year, never heard the 009 sound like that (full body and realism in spades). Pity the amp had too many tubes and was trying to be planers and electrostatic (switchable). I would have considered buying it if it was both simpler, less tubes at 22! and cheaper (14K euros). Still, the best sound on the 009 I have heard so far to my ears. Anyone else heard it here?

Bit late, but yes, I heard it too and can confirm your impressions, like two other headphone friends with me (with quite some experience with many other headphone stuff). And yes, it's a kind of tube "forest" monster :wink:

Just by chance, there is a smaller regional headphone event called "Audiovista" in November in Germany where MalValve beside many other will be there => current list of exhibitors => http://www.audiovista.de/aussteller/ (sorry, it's German)

Pic's from last year here http://www.audiovista.de/galerie/ => pic number seven is the MalValve.

Oct 18, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #624 of 1,367
32864696_2440486395965222_2980291533409878016_n.jpg
32872570_2440486892631839_4167875618823733248_n.jpg

I heard both SR-009 and 009S (also with L700 and SR-007MK2) on Stax SRM-T8000, the 009S clearly has more high frequency extension ,a clearer midrange, but just a bit less bass than 009. I decide to purchase the 009 because the difference etween 9 and 9S does not worth the cost. I built a Single Ended Triode 845 amp to power the 009, simple circuit using two tubes with output transformer. The combination sounded quite nice, dynamic with good frequency extension, effortless sound. If I need clearer highs, I can always substitute the metal 845 tube, but now I am happy with graphite plate 845.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #625 of 1,367
Made also a extensive comparision between the SR-009 and SR-009S and i prefer in the end the older SR-009 with his deeper soundstage and clearer, smoother highs and more balanced midrange. The SR-009S is good with a little bit more upper bass dynamic but have for me a bit too much upper mids extension like the Lamba models. I like it with modern styles of music like Electronic and Rock with other genres the older one is for me the better performer.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #626 of 1,367
STAX 80th anniversary 3rd model
The SR-009 is a memorable model that appeared in 2011 and became the foundation of the present STAX flagship Earspeaker development. At that time this extraordinary Earspeaker attained a big success as the model that materialized the idea that has been embraced by STAX developers in pursuit of further improvement of sound quality. The memorable model that has achieved the highest peak sound of the STAX present new flagship SR-009S will soon be followed by the SR-009BK as the 80th anniversary limited model in special black color version. The SR-009BK in black finish is the limited production of 180 units in the whole world.

sr009bk_main.jpg

Notation of 80th anniversary
Anniversary model notation is printed at cable attachment part.
sr009bk_anniv.jpg

Limited serial number is adopted
Serial number label certificating 180-set limited production

“Super-engineering-plastics” diaphragm
The diaphragm material “super engineering plastic ” inherited by next higher rank models has been adopted for the sound unit. Materials excelled especially in tone quality have been selected for the extremely thin high polymer film diaphragm developed by refining the conventional engineering plastic, resulting in extremely excellent frequency characteristics from low to very high as well as vast dynamic range.

Multi-layer fixed electrode (MLER)
The fixed electrode that drives the whole diaphragm surface consists of three metal sheets unified through precision photograph etching processing on an atomic level using heat diffusion joint technology, which greatly improved the desirable electrode specifications such as planarity, low resonance and high sound wave permeability.
sr009bk_mler.jpg

Tough machined aluminum chassis
Most part of the chassis is manufactured by precise machining to attain high-quality sound, rigidity and lightweight solution. The SR-009BK newly creates a sophisticated appearance along with the alumite-treated black color of the 80th anniversary special version.
sr009bk_enc.jpg

Silver-coated high purity 6N copper wire
The high purity copper developed from necessity of large-scale integration wiring is also known as high-quality audio cable. The SR-009BK employs hybrid cable with 99.9999% (6 Nines) high-purity copper wires (φ0.14×3) at center and six silver-plated annealed copper wires (φ0.08×9) at its perimeter. The whole structure inherits the original broad parallel type which most fits the voltage transmission of electrostatic Earspeaker and reduces the capacitance between lines to the utmost limit. This further improved the “freshness of sound”.
sr009bk_cable.jpg

Genuine leather ear pad
The SR-009BK employs a new design ear pad made by craftsman’s hand using both genuine sheep leather that keeps humidity environment good and sufficiently elastic cushion material. The ear pad fits well also for prolonged listening and keeps comfortable listening environment.
sr009bk_ep.jpg

Ark assembly with 10-step click adjustment mechanism
The arc assembly features 10-step click mechanism for height adjustment. The optimal feeling of wearing is obtained also for the cranium with different size and form.
sr009bk_ark.jpg

Specifications
●Type: push-pull electrostatic, back open-air type enclosure
●Element shape: large circular sound element
●Fixed electrode: MLER (Multi Layer Electrode)
●Frequency response: 5 – 42,000Hz
●Electrostatic capacitance: 110pF
●Impedance: 145kΩ
●Sound pressure sensitivity: 101dB
●Bias voltage: 580V DC
●Cable conductor: 6N (99.9999%) OFC(φ0.14×3)+ silver-coated annealed copper wires (φ0.08×9)
●Cable configuration: parallel 6-strand, low-capacity special wide cable
●Cable length: 2.5m full length
●Ear pad: genuine sheep leather (skin touching portion), high-quality artificial leather (surrounding portion)
●Ear pad replacement: handled as repair service
●Weight: 454g (without cable),596g (including cable)

Oct 23, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #627 of 1,367
STAX 80th anniversary 3rd model
The SR-009 is a memorable model that appeared in 2011 and became the foundation of the present STAX flagship Earspeaker development. At that time this extraordinary Earspeaker attained a big success as the model that materialized the idea that has been embraced by STAX developers in pursuit of further improvement of sound quality. The memorable model that has achieved the highest peak sound of the STAX present new flagship SR-009S will soon be followed by the SR-009BK as the 80th anniversary limited model in special black color version. The SR-009BK in black finish is the limited production of 180 units in the whole world.

is this SR-009BK a "black version" of the 009 or of the 009s (I mean in term of sound signature, diaphram design) ?

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #628 of 1,367
is this SR-009BK a "black version" of the 009 or of the 009s (I mean in term of sound signature, diaphram design) ?
Same as the 009 but in black color from what I have read.

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #629 of 1,367
Whats important than anything is that there will be only 180 units worldwide. 009BK (2011 version :upside_down: ) will be a very rare item in the future

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back