STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
Jul 15, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #421 of 1,367
I've been wondering that too while I wait on my T2 build and a new working 009S. Will a system so strongly tuned towards 009 still favor 009S? The midrange on the 009S does seem a tad cleaner, but perhaps it could become too warm/soft in certain systems - that won't happen to anyone running a Carbon or most KGSShv's, though.

The T2 itself is a bit of a mystery, as it seems to bring otherwise very different sounding headphones (007 Mk I, he90, 009) in line together towards a very beautiful, neutral sound. It somehow simultaneously smooths the 009, wakes the 007, and gifts the otherwise impotent he90 with bass impact. What will it do to the 009S? That's the big mystery. I can still keep my 009 if it doesn't impress there, but I'm optimistic that it will.

Jul 15, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #422 of 1,367
I've been wondering that too while I wait on my T2 build and a new working 009S. Will a system so strongly tuned towards 009 still favor 009S? The midrange on the 009S does seem a tad cleaner, but perhaps it could become too warm/soft in certain systems - that won't happen to anyone running a Carbon or most KGSShv's, though.

The T2 itself is a bit of a mystery, as it seems to bring otherwise very different sounding headphones (007 Mk I, he90, 009) in line together towards a very beautiful, neutral sound. It somehow simultaneously smooths the 009, wakes the 007, and gifts the otherwise impotent he90 with bass impact. What will it do to the 009S? That's the big mystery. I can still keep my 009 if it doesn't impress there, but I'm optimistic that it will.

Haha, you make the T2 sound like a magical amp. I hope to listen to one at some point. Does anyone know if they ever find their way to can jams in NYC? I doubt it, and there don't seem to be any head-fi meets around here, just big shows.

Jul 15, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #423 of 1,367
He's in Thailand right now, what's he gonna do? LOL j/k, I'm having a beautiful new one built for me, classic KG DIY-run style with an extra couple of nice finishing touches. No minifications here!

I'm calling the police....

Jul 16, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #424 of 1,367
The T2 seems like it is the best pairing for the 009 based on various options and descriptions of both the amp and 009. But I am not convinced the magic will be there with the tuning of the 009s based on early impressions. I'm thinking the BHSE or carbon might be a better match. Tube rolling/system tuning may be needed to extract the most out of it with a T2. For those coming from the 009. Idk if that really is a step forward or just sideways. One which may compromise performance of the chain with the 009.

Makes me wonder which would be the better mate to a 007.

Jul 16, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #425 of 1,367
For now there are not many choices other than Tidal as long as you want to listen to full resolution uncompressed. Everything else is low bit rate compressed files.

Qobuz is coming to the States this fall

Yeah I know youtube is not the greatest sound but for my fav. genre (classic electronic) I do not think it matters so much. Tidal might have a better modern electronic selection but I give it to youtube for classic and that is what I like more. I just listen to Tidal anymore for the really expensive stuff that I do not own which is not so often anymore.

@antimatter
Nah, no streaming here. My digital side is 2 TB comprised mostly of “just” CD quality FLAC’s, but also some high-res PCM and DSD files. I don’t use any lossy encodings. Amarra 4 Luxe (best sounding Mac player I tried) on iMac feeds an Audiophilleo 2 w/ PurePower to de-crapify the USB into SPDIF (it sounds way better than the Yggdrasil’s Gen 3 USB).

My vinyl collection is approaching 2000 records, but more importantly has been getting well-feathered with super-favorites and things I actually care to listen to often. DiscOgs deliveries have been rolling in HARD these last few months, lol. The albums I have on digital that I either can’t get on vinyl, or actually sound better on digital, is significantly shrinking.

Have a fav. vendor. I find discogs awfully expensive.

Jul 16, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #426 of 1,367
I've been waiting for delivery of my ordered SR009S from the UK and I am now told that despite Stax promising delivery by the third week of July, there is now going to be a delay owing to "production" issues. I believe this is affecting all UK and European importers. Hopefully this is due to delays in manufacturing rather than problems with the SR009S !

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #427 of 1,367
Diverting production to get working examples in the hands of people who had to RMA their first pair of 009s?

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #429 of 1,367
Diverting production to get working examples in the hands of people who had to RMA their first pair of 009s?
Does anyone know whether there have been many reported returns?

Jul 16, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #430 of 1,367
Haha, you make the T2 sound like a magical amp. I hope to listen to one at some point. Does anyone know if they ever find their way to can jams in NYC? I doubt it, and there don't seem to be any head-fi meets around here, just big shows.

I recently bought a Carbon CC from Birgir at Mjolnir Audio and think its a fabulous amp. Paired with a DAVE and the 009 (the 009S is an unfortunate name, IMO), I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Having never heard the DIY T2, I asked his opinion about it and he seemed to think the bias was because it was so expensive.

I don't know, but I highly recommend the Carbon CC if you can get one; I have the RK50 version.

Going BHSE or Woo Audio was not an option for me, because I purposefully wanted to avoid more bouts of upgrade-itis insofar as tube rolling. I'd like to hear the 009S at some point, however, I really can't imagine it being much better in my setup. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, and maybe I'm fooling myself out of an upgrade, but the trio of DAVE, Carbon CC, and 009 headphones is very satisfying. I can listen to it all day while I work.

Jul 19, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #432 of 1,367
Right, enjoy the music. That's the most important thing.
There will always be some difference between this amp or that phone, but when we talk about carbons, hawaiis, 9 or 9s level of gears how much difference could it be..

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #433 of 1,367
Right, enjoy the music. That's the most important thing.
There will always be some difference between this amp or that phone, but when we talk about carbons, hawaiis, 9 or 9s level of gears how much difference could it be..

At this level we are all indeed being very critical, and I suspect there are more differences than improvements between these amps.

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #434 of 1,367
At this level we are all indeed being very critical, and I suspect there are more differences than improvements between these amps.
Between BHSE, Carbon, Grounded Grid ? Sure....the T2 is another level of category. It dwell in the “unbelievable” category. I was once there, and experienced that. I told myself that Carbon and GG are only different sound signature and on the same level of performances, and I wouldn’t believe at this level, a T2 which is much much more expensive can do something else “improvements or day and night better”. I was wrong!

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #435 of 1,367
While I am coming to grips understanding the special relationship Stax headphones have with their energisers (even more so than dynamic headphones have with their amplifiers), I still subscribe to the theory that the source remains the most important part of the chain. I believe this applies regardless if one is using stats or dynamics, headphones or two channel, digital or analogue.

One can have a 009S/T2 - if the source is not TOTL you will simply be missing some of the music.
Budget wise it should be the largest part of your allocation. Perhaps it might be a bit different for stats - however then at least the same budget allocation as made for your energisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back