Stax SR-009: Best Headphone Ever Made? - Head-Fi TV, Episode 008
Jan 25, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #271 of 423
  I thought HD650's were expensive.......

For what they do, they certainly are. IMHO, of course...
wink_face.gif

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #275 of 423
I want one day to have a set of Stax Omegas, either the 007 or the 009. I have to say I'm not too sure I'll ever be able to afford the 009 with the type of equipment it needs. Two questions: 

1. Is it THAT much better than the 007? 
2. Do you REALLY need a 5000$+ amp to make it work? What about Stax 2000 offerings? 

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #276 of 423
  I want one day to have a set of Stax Omegas, either the 007 or the 009. I have to say I'm not too sure I'll ever be able to afford the 009 with the type of equipment it needs. Two questions: 

1. Is it THAT much better than the 007? 
2. Do you REALLY need a 5000$+ amp to make it work? What about Stax 2000 offerings? 

Here are my 2 cents...

1.) Yes! I have the SR-007Mk1s right here and enjoy them thoroughly, but there are no questions in my mind that the SR-009s are the best I've heard and worth the price difference for me.
2.) I wouldn't go any lower than a KGSS for them. Great combination. Yes, they do get better, but anything lower I wouldn't recommend (including any of the current Stax amps or LL Mk1).

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #277 of 423

2.) I wouldn't go any lower than a KGSS for them. Great combination. Yes, they do get better, but anything lower I wouldn't recommend (including any of the current Stax amps or LL Mk1).

Would you take a pair of dynamics or orthos driven by a great amp (eg GS-X mk2, DNA Stratus etc) over the SR-009 on a lower end amp?

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #278 of 423
 Would you take a pair of dynamics or orthos driven by a great amp (eg GS-X mk2, DNA Stratus etc) over the SR-009 on a lower end amp?

Nope...I still much prefer the SR-009/SRM727II over my HD800/GS-X mk2 combo. 

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #279 of 423
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nope...I still much prefer my SR-009/SRM727II over my HD800/GS-X mk2 combo. 

Thanks MH, that's good to know. I've been considering the SR-009 recently. I really don't want to give up my dynamic/ortho cans though, as they are a lot less tied down to my home setup (I can bring them anywhere and plug into a portable amp and they'll sound great). So I guess I'll probably eventually move in the direction you did, getting the stax in addition to my other cans instead of replacing them.

Edit: also, if you were to rate them, how close would you say the HD800 is on the GS-X mk2, compared to the SR-009 on say the KGSSHV? Just trying to get an idea of how much I'm missing.

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #280 of 423
  Thanks MH, that's good to know. I've been considering the SR-009 recently. I really don't want to give up my dynamic/ortho cans though, as they are a lot less tied down to my home setup (I can bring them anywhere and plug into a portable amp and they'll sound great). So I guess I'll probably eventually move in the direction you did, getting the stax in addition to my other cans instead of replacing them.

Edit: also, if you were to rate them, how close would you say the HD800 is on the GS-X mk2, compared to the SR-009 on say the KGSSHV? Just trying to get an idea of how much I'm missing.

Here's a little story. A good friend (baka1969) is a huge HD800 fan and loves them to death. I agree that they are incredibly clean and impressive sounding headphones (as I too am a big fan). He came up to Toronto this past summer and got to hear my HD800/GS-X MK2 and SR-009/KGSSHV and in his words: "there is no comparison, I always thought I was hearing it all with the HD800s and apparently I was wrong".

I've had them for 1.5 years now and I am still in that new toy syndrome phase. 
smile.gif

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #281 of 423
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here's a little story. A good friend (baka1969) is a huge HD800 fan and loves them to death. I agree that they are incredibly clean and impressive sounding headphones (as I too am a big fan). He came up to Toronto this past summer and got to hear my HD800/GS-X MK2 and SR-009/KGSSHV and in his words: "there is no comparison, I always thought I was hearing it all with the HD800s and apparently I was wrong".

I've had them for 1.5 years now and I am still in that new toy syndrome phase. 
smile.gif

Thanks for the info. I'll wait for my GS-X mk2 for now to hear my regular headphones at their best, then maybe move on to stax later.

Feb 1, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #282 of 423
Best is to find a way to listen to them at meet jd007. Also what music genre and levels do you listen at? It relates a lot to people's appreciation or lack thereof of the 009.

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #283 of 423
Best is to find a way to listen to them at meet jd007. Also what music genre and levels do you listen at? It relates a lot to people's appreciation or lack thereof of the 009.

yeah i'll definitely try to listen to them at a meet. however i am very skeptical of meet conditions, its not quiet, and you usually dont get a lot of time on the equipment. i find i usually need at least few days at home to know if i really like something. i listen to pretty much all genres, from pop to electronic to rock to classical, and i usually listen at moderate volumes (quieter than most i would say, i dont like too loud)

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #284 of 423
I would have to say right now that they are the best headphones I've ever heard. It has the best transducers I've ever heard. I've heard the Acapella Triolon Excalibur speakers in a great system, this one:

http://dagogo.com/ryan-coleman-visits-a-reader-who-owns-a-pair-of-the-170500-acapella-triolon-excalibur-four-piece-horn-loudspeaker-system

That system is truly great sounding, but the SR-009s are much more resolving and more detailed. The speakers best the headphones in terms of soundstage and realism, being the closest thing to having a band playing in your living room, but the SR-009s deliver a comparable and intimate sonic experience at a fraction of the cost.

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #285 of 423
Stax SR-009: Best Headphone Ever Made?

The truth is seems to make it different.

To my great regret, this is apparently more the case, if one believes this latest review, very explicit in the subjective comparison of the Abyss with the 009 : http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/abyss-ab-1266-planar-magnetic-headphones/

The protesters on the supremacy of the Abyss on the others headphones (including myself) would be in error...

Perhaps it is to be welcomed?

The wheel turns...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back