Stax: SR 002 + Srm 002 and Srm 003 mk2 + Srm 003 impression and appreciation thread
Mar 2, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #481 of 783
Has anyone tried the Comply foam with the SR002? The OEM partner list is...comprehensive, I don't think I have heard of even half of those.

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #482 of 783
  Has anyone tried the Comply foam with the SR002? The OEM partner list is...comprehensive, I don't think I have heard of even half of those.

I bought some, but they were the wrong size... I'm currently using generic rubber tips. They are still miles ahead of the stock ones that came with it. 

The problem I found with foam tips, is they all have an inner hard plastic core. (at least all the ones I've used)
Because the Sr002 ends are oval, it's hard to fit that hard plastic rubber core around it. 

With generic rubber tips, the core itself is soft rubber, very easy to fit around the Sr002 ends.

ymmv

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #483 of 783
"it's hard to fit that hard plastic rubber core around it. "

I just pushed the hard core out, I did it slowly so not much of the foam came away. Not sure I will get "hack of the month", but it did the trick.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #484 of 783
Does the comply foam tips don't kill the treble from the SR-002 too much? I can recommend JVC spiral dot tips or Hama tips:

Here is a comparison with the some good Hama tips (better than stock Stax tips) and even better JVC spiral dot tips.

Apr 24, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #485 of 783
Does anyone know about the new version of SR-002 current state? Thanks

Apr 24, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #486 of 783
  Does anyone know about the new version of SR-002 current state? Thanks

Asked the Stax Japanese rep on why he didn't bring the new SR002 to CamJam Singapore in Feb. (consider he is the same guy who brought it to CES2016) and his reply was that he did ask the HQ to let him bring the prototype to the show, but HQ said they need to revise it further. Basically still vaporware, I think.

CES2017?
rolleyes.gif

Apr 24, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #487 of 783
Thanks for your reply, oh man Stax c'mon. Can't understand this, the SR-002 is one of the most underrated TOTL IEM in the world and a modern Stax DAC/AMP + improved SR-002 with smaller nozzle would be $$$.

Apr 24, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #488 of 783
  Thanks for your reply, oh man Stax c'mon. Can't understand this, the SR-002 is one of the most underrated TOTL IEM in the world and a modern Stax DAC/AMP + improved SR-002 with smaller nozzle would be $$$.

Is there anything to compare the SR-002 to? or is it one of  kind?

Apr 24, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #489 of 783
You can read my review with compare to Audeze LCD-X, Sennheiser HD 800 and Custom Art Harmony 8 Pro which all three TOTL devices in their classes: http://www.head-fi.org/products/stax-srs-002-in-the-earspeaker-system-srm-002-sr-002-japan-import/reviews/15135

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #490 of 783

I once had great hope for Shure KSE1500 and though maybe it could be the electrostatic IEM that finally beat Stax at its own games. But it turns out KSE1500 is tuned way too close-in sounding that it loses all the magic of the openness in electrostatic sound and sounds just like a regular IEM. Oh well, I guess we still have to wait for Stax to do its things... in time.

Apr 25, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #491 of 783
I once had great hope for Shure KSE1500 and though maybe it could be the electrostatic IEM that finally beat Stax at its own games. But it turns out KSE1500 is tuned way too close-in sounding that it loses all the magic of the openness in electrostatic sound and sounds just like a regular IEM. Oh well, I guess we still have to wait for Stax to do its things... in time.
You don't like the sound of the Kse1500?

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #492 of 783
You don't like the sound of the Kse1500?

Not that I don't like it, I just don't find it special in any way. If given the choice, I am probably more inclined to get JH Rosie or JH13 Pro over KSE1500. By all mean KSE1500 is a really good IEM, it just isn't a really good electrostatic because it doesn't quite showcase the openness that electrostatics is known for (but in fact has a close-in sound). That might be fine for others, but it is a total turn-off for me. There is no reason to go for an electrostatics when its great strength has been taken away.

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #493 of 783
Not that I don't like it, I just don't find it special in any way. If given the choice, I am probably more inclined to get JH Rosie or JH13 Pro over KSE1500. By all mean KSE1500 is a really good IEM, it just isn't a really good electrostatic because it doesn't quite showcase the openness that electrostatics is known for (but in fact has a close-in sound). That might be fine for others, but it is a total turn-off for me. There is no reason to go for an electrostatics when its great strength has been taken away.
I found the JH line up metal jacket nothing to write home about, especially not the Rosie. The Layla is technically impressive but too expensive. Anyways, found the Kse1500 better to my taste than Rosie, but brief listen.

May 31, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #494 of 783
First post from a new Stax "mini" owner - SRS-002 in this thread. I think i'm gonna be addicted to the Stax sound already. Just listening to my Hugo electrostatic setup. Whoww, this mini sounds impressive, not as much slam as i used to hear with Audeze and Fostex TH-900, but airy, detailled, and easy enjoyable sound. Also comfort of this earphones aren't really bad. So for want to be Stax owners also, for pricing this SRS-002 set is really great...

May 31, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #495 of 783
@PAM005

The SR002 is a diamond in the ruff, nobody talks about it. In my opinion it's TOTL IEM, beating IEM 2-3x the price.
I think the one big thing that makes it not popular, is it has an awkward fit into the ear. 

I have normal size/maybe slightly bigger then normal ears, and they just barely fit.
I think if everyone was able to comfortably wear these, they would be many times more popular. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back