Stax: SR 002 + Srm 002 and Srm 003 mk2 + Srm 003 impression and appreciation thread
May 31, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #497 of 783
A redesigned nozzle and a better eartips, then it could be king of kings. That's my opinion.

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #499 of 783
Yes Mojo is a nice DAC for the SRM-002 amp.

But I prefer the micro iDSD ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/631894/stax-sr-002-srm-002-and-srm-003-mk2-srm-003-impression-and-appreciation-thread/450#post_11766444 ) with enabled crossfeed (analogue not DSP crossfeed), it makes the SR-002 to a a even better airy loud speaker feeling sound, than with non crossfeed source like the Mojo is, would be killer if Chord would added the crossfeed feature from the Hugo in the Mojo, I would payed more for Mojo for sure with this added option.

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #500 of 783
  Yes Mojo is a nice DAC for the SRM-002 amp.

But I prefer the micro iDSD ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/631894/stax-sr-002-srm-002-and-srm-003-mk2-srm-003-impression-and-appreciation-thread/450#post_11766444 ) with enabled crossfeed (analogue not DSP crossfeed), it makes the SR-002 to a a even better airy loud speaker feeling sound, than with non crossfeed source like the Mojo is, would be killer if Chord would added the crossfeed feature from the Hugo in the Mojo, I would payed more for Mojo for sure with this added option.

You're right - I do have Hugo also, with Crossfeed sound is realy impressive, but i did buy Mojo also, just because of smaller footprint. Haven't tried with Micro iDSD. Have had iDSD Nano in the past, i do prefer Mojo more - a bit less polite as the Ifi Nano.

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #501 of 783
The nano iDSD also don't have the awesome analogue crossfeed feature as the micro iDSD have and the nano iCAN (the small amp) has a too high gain by default, which can't get lower, to pair up with the STAX SRM-002 together. I owned the nano iDSD and nano iCAN in the past, but to me the micro iDSD is a better option with his combined features and nice gain attenuation switches works very well with the sensitve input from the SRM-002.

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #502 of 783
  The nano iDSD also don't have the awesome analogue crossfeed feature as the micro iDSD have and the nano iCAN (the small amp) has a too high gain by default, which can't get lower, to pair up with the STAX SRM-002 together. I owned the nano iDSD and nano iCAN in the past, but to me the micro iDSD is a better option with his combined features and nice gain attenuation switches works very well with the sensitve input from the SRM-002.

Maybe i'll try in future. for now i'm looking for some rechargeble AA batteries to drive SRM-002. I bought some 2600mA Varta's (1,2V) but they don't work ;-(!

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #503 of 783
That's bad with the batteries ,as batteries for SRM-002, I own eight pieces of Panasonic Eneloop XX PRO (1.2V @ 2550 mAh), since almost one year - very nice batteries.

The Eneloop XX PRO providing a very long run time. In normal mode, at moderate volume, the batteries last at good 6 to 6.5 hours. In Eco mode, which I use normally, the batteries lasting again a bit longer, around good 7 to 7.5 hours. Full recommendation from my side. I also tried high voltage batteries, the Conrad NiZn energy HR06 (1.6V @ 1500 mAh), but no benefit to me and the battery life is very poor.

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #504 of 783
  That's bad with the batteries ,as batteries for SRM-002, I own eight pieces of Panasonic Eneloop XX PRO (1.2V @ 2550 mAh), since almost one year - very nice batteries.

The Eneloop XX PRO providing a very long run time. In normal mode, at moderate volume, the batteries last at good 6 to 6.5 hours. In Eco mode, which I use normally, the batteries lasting again a bit longer, around good 7 to 7.5 hours. Full recommendation from my side. I also tried high voltage batteries, the Conrad NiZn energy HR06 (1.6V @ 1500 mAh), but no benefit to me and the battery life is very poor.

Thanks for recommendation, i'm gonna search for the Panasonic Eneloop!

Jun 30, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #505 of 783
I'm looking for something to use until I have the $$$ together for SR-009.
Would SR-003 mk2 be considered a worthwhile option, compared to something like a used SR-307 or even 407 (which could probably be had for similar money) ? I love the sound of 009 and read that SR-003 mk2 has a similar tonal representation.
I realise neither is in the same league as SR-009 but I am just looking to 'make do' for some time without spending too much out of my 009 budget. Will be using a KG-type amp.

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #506 of 783
  I'm looking for something to use until I have the $$$ together for SR-009.
Would SR-003 mk2 be considered a worthwhile option, compared to something like a used SR-307 or even 407 (which could probably be had for similar money) ? I love the sound of 009 and read that SR-003 mk2 has a similar tonal representation.
I realise neither is in the same league as SR-009 but I am just looking to 'make do' for some time without spending too much out of my 009 budget. Will be using a KG-type amp.

If they fit comfortably in your ears, with a complete air seal, they are fantastic. This however, is problematic for many people, as the design does not lend itself to anything but medium to large ears. 

If you could, I would somehow try and get a pair to try out the fit first. If that's not possible, it's basically a gamble. 

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #507 of 783

A tip for anybody looking for a good rechargeable AA. Amazon basics brand high capacity rechargeable AAs are actually rebranded Eneloop Pros OEMed by Panasonic for Amazon. I use them in my SRM-002 and they work great At nearly half the price of Eneloop branded batteries.

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #508 of 783
Nice find, I have checked now and few guys did measurements on that Amazon basic ones vs original Panasonic Eneloop XX PRO, really great results for a lower price, thanks for the hint.

Sep 27, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #509 of 783
Morning folks, Bit of a shot in the dark, So please forgive the nooby question...

I've been out of the game for a while and just started listening to my portable gear again. Long story short, Ive been in hospital for a while and am now at home with a long recovery ahead of me.
I dont get to listen to my regular home gear that much so Im turning to my head-fi more and more while im stuck in bed.

I always hankered after a STAX system and I'm finally saving up for my first batch of gear lol.

My question is this.

If I buy the SR-002 or any of the other portable STAX systems, Would I be able to run a bigger set of STAX cans on it?

I have this idea of starting out with a STAX portable, Then upgrading to larger cans, Then eventually getting a desktop amp.

Sorry for rambling on or sounding like an idiot lol. Like I said, I'm a tad rusty on all the specs etc.

Sep 27, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #510 of 783
Short answer:

No.

Long answer:

The Stax SRS-002 set is a Stax SR-002 ear phone + Stax SRM-002 portable amp (I own this set it is a very nice combo, for this price you don't get any better ear phone / in-ear in terms of full natural tonal balanced sound signature).

This portable amp has a special Stax PRO port which only works with this Stax ear phone (and the older one Stax SRS-001 / MKII) . No full size Stax head phone will work due different connection, don't heard yet any adapter for this type.

The Stax SRS-005S MKII set is a Stax SR-003 MKII ear phone + Stax SRM-252S desktop amp.

Stax Stax SR-002 and Stax SR-003 MKII are exact the same ear phone, only with different cable.

So with a Stax SR-003 MKII you get a typical Stax PRO jack and the Stax SR-002 has a special small PRO jack which works only with the Stax portable amp. But you can use the Stax SR-003 MKII ear phone and regular Stax desktop amps with PRO output.

The only real small alternative Stax portable amp I know is the Kingsound M03, but I never tried them to run full size Stax heap phones, lile my Lambda Pro.

So I don't think Stax and portable amps for the full size Stax head phones are a simply choice, since we have not really a good selection of portable Stax amps. But please try the baby Stax SRS-002 set, if you have a good seal with your ears, you will love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back