Stax Sigma - how many owners are left out there?
Jun 10, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #123 of 127
Yeah, I heard of the eslabs sigma. Good to have option of their driver swap service if old sigma drivers give way. Just wishful fantasy that stax continue to innovate their brilliant designs of old, but I can't imagine designs like the sigma having mass appeal. Wearing a sigma now is a meme. The old stax would take these kinds of risk but perhaps thats why they got into their financial hole (?).

Jun 10, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #126 of 127
When i first received my pair, the mineral wool was bulging out and sound was muffled and all over the place, as if artist were at different locations of the room as opposed to on same stage. Tucking in/reshaping the wool helped straighten out the sound to be more coherent. Makes me wonder of the many possibities of type, amount, and placement of material, as well as shape of the chambers (3d printing?) can have on soundstage.

Also, I consider my sigma pro as ES version, ES for "Ed Strelow" as I gave my pair the full sorbothane treatment as detailed in his thread. This tightened up the "atmosphere" of sound and mitigated some weird resonances. Along with EQ, the tonality is now more neutral (i.e. less warm) and sound images are more clearly dileneated. The frontal placement of drivers really adds to the illusion that I am face to face with the artists, which is very connecting to music and gives a "you are there" feeling.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #127 of 127
I asked over in the Stax thread and I will ask here as well.
What music type gives the best results of what a Sigma can do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back