Stax Heresy: Mixing High-End and Low-End
Jun 27, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #32 of 35

Quote:
I have seen the SR-202 sold separately from the amp which was why I wanted to know if there are any alternatives to the 252 that I should look at.

I as mentioned before you should look for older Stax amp used, like SRM-1MK2 PRO or maybe SRM-T1. They are good for the money and to my ears SRM-1 sounds better than all but TOTL new Stax amps. It is capable of driving whatever you plug in as it as it's max output voltage is 370V. Drives even SR-007 and Sigma fairly well in my opinion. You need to use a good source or even better a pre-amp before it, makes all the difference.

Jun 27, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #33 of 35

Quote:
I have seen the SR-202 sold separately from the amp which was why I wanted to know if there are any alternatives to the 252 that I should look at.

WooAudio sells the SR-202 separately for 350USD, but of course they do not sell the SRM-252. It's only a hundred or so cheaper than buying the SRS-2050 system .

The SR-202s are a nice headphone and, from my experience, they sound much better out of my SRM-007t compared to the SRM-252II.

Jun 29, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #35 of 35

Quote:
The SRM-007t is a very nice Lambda amp, it works great with the SR-Lambda Pro.  I find the SR-007 unoffending but at the same time a bit dull with the lesser amps.

I vote for more cookies!

X2. One could really stop right here, even with a T1S (what I'm using right now).  Indeed, I am tempted to do just this.  DAC notwithstanding, to best such a rig either requires serious DIY or horrendous expense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back