Stax Heresy: Mixing High-End and Low-End
Jun 5, 2010 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

West726

Headphoneus Supremus

I realize that what I am about to type is not the norm  -- so please just think of it as a thought experiment.  I have the 2050 basic system, with the 252 amp and the 202 headphones.

Suppose that I wanted to upgrade, and upgrade to the top, and the upgrade would fall out of the sky (gently) into my hands.  I could buy EITHER the SR-007 headphones and use them with my SRM-252 amp, OR an SRM-007 amp and use them with my 202 headphones.  I know that the 252 will drive the 007s, but probably not very well.  And I know that the 007 will more than drive the 202s, but I might not be able to tell the difference over the 252.

Which option would you take?  Some rules:  you can't change the question and use the money to buy a 404 or anything else (you have to buy one or the other), pretend that either purchase would be free, and pretend that you have absolutely no idea whether you will ever buy another audio component again in your life (so don't take the future upgrade question into account)

(For what it's worth, you can also pretend that you have an Eddie Current Zana Deux and that you are astounded that your 202s sound almost as good, and sometimes, better, than your Beyer T1s, which are your favorite headphones, better than the HD800s or the K-1000s.)

Jun 5, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 35
under those strict parameters, id probably choose the amp.  driving the 202's (which are rather decent cans) to perfection seems like a much more reasonable course of action, than underamping the SR-007's and getting mediocre performance out of them

Jun 5, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 35
I like the O2 much better than the Lambda Nova Signature out of the SRM-212. I didn't hear much difference with my Lambda out of the 727 but i didn't do much comparison to be honest. Never really liked the Lambdas anyway.

Jun 6, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 35

Quote:

I realize that what I am about to type is not the norm  -- so please just think of it as a thought experiment.  I have the 2050 basic system, with the 252 amp and the 202 headphones.

Suppose that I wanted to upgrade, and upgrade to the top, and the upgrade would fall out of the sky (gently) into my hands.  I could buy EITHER the SR-007 headphones and use them with my SRM-252 amp, OR an SRM-007 amp and use them with my 202 headphones.  I know that the 252 will drive the 007s, but probably not very well.  And I know that the 007 will more than drive the 202s, but I might not be able to tell the difference over the 252.

:) Both mixes are waste of money. I don't want to be rude but it's stupid dilemma.

Jun 7, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #8 of 35
SR-003 and a T2  FTW.

Ask those who heard it
L3000.gif

Buy the O2mk2 and then build yourself an amp
as funds accumulate.

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #13 of 35
OK, after two weeks, I (op) have 4 votes for amp, 4 votes for headphone, 2 who couldn't play by the rules of the question, and 1 "it's a dumb question."  It's a landslide!  Shall I flip a coin?

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #14 of 35
As long as you properly amp the O2 in the end, either path works. I agree with Lunatique in that there's a bigger difference in sound signature with a change of headphones than a change of amps, so headphone first and buy/build yourself a BHSE or T2 as you get the funds, as KG suggested. :wink:

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #15 of 35
I still vote the amp.  We're talking Stax and O2s here, not dynamic cans. Lambdas are great out of the big Stax amps.  However, if you are planning to continue to upgrade, I'd just save funds and go the whole hog down the track. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back