Stax Heresy: Mixing High-End and Low-End
Jun 20, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #16 of 35

Quote:
I would definitely take the better headphone, as the headphones make far more of a difference than amps ever will (unless you're using horrible piece of crap). In many cases this emphasis on superior amps is overrated and exaggerated (IMO).

+1

I had the SRM-252 with the O2 some times ago and it was a very nice system. I didn't hear much differences going from the 252 to the 717 (and I had both at the same time for a few month).

Jun 20, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #17 of 35
With the SR-007 the difference amplification makes can't be underestimated.  For fun I setup my modifed SRM-Xh next to the King aka the T2 at CJ so that people could compare them off the same source.  One amp draws about 5W from the wall while the other draws about 300W. 
tongue.gif
  The difference was naturally huge (this SRM-Xh is very, very special though) but unless you know what to search for you could be fooled into thinking it was rather small...

Jun 20, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #18 of 35
OP, let me put it to you this way, difference between O2 and SR-303 out of the T1S is HUGE, completely different sound signatures. Difference between O2 out of BH and T1S is not a huge, it's actually small, last 5% as they say. I listened attentively at one of the NYC meets to BH that was these and I also Stax amps, difference is there it's very specific but to my ears for regular volume listening it's not that noticeable at all, but devil is in the details as they say. Upgrading to better amp with O2 will give you a bit more control on the bass, some additional clarity, better overall control at hight volumes, a bit more dynamics. With some less demanding material you might actually prefer sweater sounding T1 amp, who knows some people do :D

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:
OP, let me put it to you this way, difference between O2 and SR-303 out of the T1S is HUGE, completely different sound signatures.

I agree with that based on what i hear from the SRM-212. The O2 is very different from my Lambdas Nova, the latter is more mid centric while the O2 has much more body in the deep bass and the low mids. Soundstage is very different as well, the Lambda sound more upfront to my ears, while the O2 sounds bigger and more laid-back. The O2 is also faster and more detailed. I probably wouldn't buy the O2 if i loved the Lambda, and vice-versa.

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #20 of 35
I have been in your situation, although without the choice.

I owned the SRM-212 and SR-202 (2020 Basic) and then got an SRM-717 and an O2.

The 2020 is very good sound. It was a revelation for me at the time.

The O2 and SRM-717 is better sound, More of everything.

The SR-202 from the SRM-717 was very very good indeed. And I hesitated about selling the 2020 Basic because of how good it was. Indeed, it bested the O2 in a couple of ways (raw energy), but couldn't compete in smoothness or layered sounds.

The O2 from the SRM-212 was pants. Congested, muddied-midrange, trunctated bass and treble, much less headroom, poor microdynamic snap.

Get the bigger amp first. This is not like changing from an SR-60 to an RS-1 when you own a GS-1.

Jun 22, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #21 of 35
I'd say better amp first too, though the improvement to your SR-202 will be small. It will still be an improvement.
If you buy the SR-007 first, it will be a disappointment.

In my situation, where I have an SR-202 with an SRM-T1 and an SR-007 with an SRM-717, I can switch headphones and amps whenever I want. When I use my SR-202 on the SRM-T1 and switch to the SRM-717, the difference is there but it's not better or worse, just a bit different. When I use my SR-007 however and switch from the SRM-717 to the SRM-T1, it's a disappointment. Especially the bass becomes fat and fatiguing, but the rest of the sound changes as well. On the SRM-T1 it feels more like a beam of ordinary, diffused light instead of the laser beam it is with the SRM-717, if you understand what I mean. The SRM-717 makes everything tighter which is good.

Conclusion: better amp first, but only if you are sure you're going to get an SR-007 in the future. Don't expect much improvement on the sound of the SR-202.

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #22 of 35
To restate my earlier point in terms of a clarification refutation, I disagree with there being little improvement in the SR-202 in this case because the OP is moving from the 212, not from the T1.

Jun 26, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #26 of 35

Quote:
I have never owned a STAX headphone before and only heard one once.  I am currently thinking about getting a STAX SR-202 which seems to be a good place to start.  What would be an affordable amp new or used that works well with this headphone?

I'm not sure why this is here, but . . . is something wrong with the SRM-252 that comes with the SR-202s?  Does Stax even offer them separately?  That suggests to me that the 252 is a good pairing.  

Thanks to all of you that were responsive to my original post -- very helpful.  Much appreciated as always. 

Jun 26, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #27 of 35
I don't know whether Stax sells the SRM-252 separately, but they do sell the SR-202 separately. It's definitely a good place to start, even more than that I'd say. I really love mine out of the SRM-T1. I could be very happy with it as my only pair of headphones.

There's probably nothing wrong with the SRM-252 and I've never heard it so can't judge it. What I do know is how good the SR-202 sounds out of a SRM-T1 or a SRM-717. This suggests to me that Stax does not do the SR-202 enough justice by selling it as their entry-level model while it is capable of more than sounding 'entry-level'. The SRS-2020 system looks like a very good place to start the journey into the electrostatic world though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back