Stax 009 for Gaming?
Jul 27, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #24 of 34
Yes, definitely, but you need the Smyth Realiser for it too.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:
Stax are good, but I think dynamic headphones are better for gaming IMHO.

Please elaborate.

I got into Stax specifically because they were said to have all the right qualities for gaming, right here on Head-Fi. Speed that no dynamic could hope to match, wide soundstage, revealing of even the faintest details due to said speed, synergy with CMSS-3D Headphone/Dolby Headphone/similar binaural mixing technologies, etc. For all sorts of reasons, people were using Lambdas for competitive FPS gaming, to great effect.

So far, my SR-Lambda setup has not disappointed one bit. I'd be hard-pressed to exchange it for any dynamic headphone for gaming...or music, for that matter. I guess that's what they meant by the whole "Stax Mafia" thing.

On the other hand, I am admittedly NOT a basshead. I'm not looking for a head concussion with every explosion, just that "aural wallhack" sensation that gives me a situational awareness advantage. I even find the airy/ambient/atmospheric sound presentation quite immersive in its own right, as if it sounds more like the air itself is singing into my ears rather than a pair of headphones.

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #27 of 34
The only way to use headphone in a way that it is good enough for gaming is with the Smyth Realizer, and with the Smyth Realizer, only electrostats can deliver the realism that the Smyth intends. I tried the LCD3 on the Realizer and it is far far behind what the SR009 is capable of with the Realizer in terms of the realism. People may have preferences for dynamic vs electrostats, but with the Realizer, electrostat is the clear way to go.

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #28 of 34
Quote:
The only way to use headphone in a way that it is good enough for gaming is with the Smyth Realizer, and with the Smyth Realizer, only electrostats can deliver the realism that the Smyth intends. I tried the LCD3 on the Realizer and it is far far behind what the SR009 is capable of with the Realizer in terms of the realism. People may have preferences for dynamic vs electrostats, but with the Realizer, electrostat is the clear way to go.

I take it CMSS-3D Headphone, Dolby Headphone, and so on never worked out well enough for you? Maybe I'm just lucky enough in that my HRTF falls within the average to where both technologies work well, saving me the sheer wallet hurt of having to buy a Smyth Realiser for positional audio in games. (Virtual 7.1 instead of a 3D binaural mix, at that. If only we could have Realiser-style HRTF personalization without being constrained by traditional speaker setups...)

That said, I'm sure there's a good reason that the default headphone setup for the Realiser is a Stax SR-202 + SRM-252, of all the headphones out there.

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #29 of 34
Good for you... I tried the Pioneer and Sony 5.1/7.1 headphnoe systems in the past and they are sheer jokes when compared with the Realizer, IME.
Quote:

I take it CMSS-3D Headphone, Dolby Headphone, and so on never worked out well enough for you? Maybe I'm just lucky enough in that my HRTF falls within the average to where both technologies work well, saving me the sheer wallet hurt of having to buy a Smyth Realiser for positional audio in games. (Virtual 7.1 instead of a 3D binaural mix, at that. If only we could have Realiser-style HRTF personalization without being constrained by traditional speaker setups...)

That said, I'm sure there's a good reason that the default headphone setup for the Realiser is a Stax SR-202 + SRM-252, of all the headphones out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back