Stax 009 for Gaming?
Jul 25, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 34
Yes. I use them (w/727), along with orthos & dynamics. Of course the resolution is probably the finest out there, and is well beyond what is needed for any game I've played. 

If you're a headbanger, you need to use caution as some of the LF effects in games are at high levels, and I wouldn't be surprised to arc some ES sets. I've not heard anything in mine, but a caution I think is warranted.

They are not particularly comfortable for hours-on-end gaming. Not horrible in any way, I just find the need to periodically remove them and give my head / ears a rest.

If ya' got 'em, use 'em, but honestly, decent "gaming" sets like the Beyer MMX300 provide every bit of res you'd need for gaming, and are much cheaper to replace after a rage-toss...

Rob

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 34
Heh I played Skyrim on 007/Blue Hawaii. Not sure about the 009 but Skyrim actually is one of the few games where the sound is well-enough recorded where a system like that is not complete and utter overkill. I'm not sure what kind of an edge you're trying to get here seeing how it's a single-player game and imaging is pretty much irrelevant (not to mention confusing as the game doesn't handle positioning particularly well) but it did improve the overall experience, a lot. As did a system that could handle maxed out graphics.

Normally, for gaming setups like this are pretty pointless as they don't really offer you much beyond what normal good gaming headphones can do. Game sound engines and recorded samples just aren't good enough to take advantage of systems like this and the extra resolution offered by high-end 'stats hurts more often than it helps.

The main advantage of the 007 with gaming is how utterly fatigue-free it is. You can play at realistic levels for hours without any signs of ear fatigue setting in.

As far as arcing... I don't know how loud you'd have to crank the 007 for it to arc but I know my ears will give out long before the headphones do. As far as ragetossing the 007 or 009- well if you're rich enough to even think about doing that, you're rich enough to get another one afterwards.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 34
If they're anything like the Lambdas I've tried, they might just be the best gaming headphones you could possibly have. Electrostatics seem to lend themselves well to gaming in terms of that airy, ambient, atmospheric presentation and bringing out the positional cues in binaural mixes, along with never getting muddy-sounding even when the game audio becomes hectic with multiple sound effects going off simultaneously.

It's way past the line of diminishing returns for gaming audio (a used SR-Lambda setup at $300-400 already starts heading past that, let alone a top-tier SR-009 + Blue Hawaii), but if you want absolutely no compromises, why not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back