Started quest for sealed DJ/Monitor headphone
Nov 6, 2010 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

jessica_fae

100+ Head-Fier
I am a little unsure to start a thread now while I am still in the auditioning phase. I have listened to new headphones a fair amount over the last couple weeks and yesterday I spent a lot of time auditioning several DJ/monitor headphones in Akihabara and thought I might start a thread.  I am certain I will end up buying one of these phones over the next month. In addition to my auditioning, getting some honest feedback (not just "xxx sucks you should buy yyyy") might help my search.  I am lucky living in Tokyo where I can really audition headphones before buying and I can be certain of getting genuine items, but I will be paying a bit more for them.

First let me say that I have an extensive headphone collection and I am looking for a specific new headphone.  I want a closed DJ/monitor headphone to be used for house/trance/vocal music composition/mixing with live play in the future. It needs to plug into synths, computers, mixers, work well (fit and sound) in one-ear operation.  For my first tracks I used my HD580 for voicing and they worked ok, but the final mix really sounds best when played back through the hd580.  They seem to add a bit to much character to the sound to be used for general voicing.

Here are my impressions so far.

Monitor-style: more flat curve

HD280pro: I own these, so I can use them for reference. These are very strange headphones. One some material it sounds like they have ZERO bass, on others there is massive bass. Listening to them out of a Korg kaossilator (or minidisc recording of kaossilator) they sounded great with massive bass, but some recording sound horrid.  Many times they just sound off.  Maybe it is the monitor nature of these phones, but maybe there is a resonance thing happening. Their sound presentation can really lean to the "not detailed" and with narrow/flat soundstaging on many recordings. They also always strike me as too bright (but maybe because so many other headphones are so tipped down in the high end).  Glad I own a monitor headphone, but I would not buy another 280pro to replace them if they break.

ATH-M50: on first listen I thought these sounded a lot like the 280Pro, but after more listening I really heard nice things from them. I think they are a big step up from the 280pro.  Actually enjoyed listening to music on them more than the 280pro, but they also struck me as having minimal bass on the recording I was using. Maybe it is the flat monitor-like curve again, but they are much better at rendering subtleties in the music, and nice soundstaging. Also much more comfortable. I didn't A/B the M50 and 280pro at that time but I really know the 280pro well from memory.  Right now since I own the 280pro, I am not sure I would gain much by adding the M50 to my collection. But if my 280pros ever die I think I would replace them with the ATH-M50.

Sony MDR-7505, MDR-7506: again had that monitor-like sound. I can definitely see why these are well respected and industry standards. I listened to both side by side and can't remember which was which. My impression is that they are between the 280pro and M50.  The M50 made a really good impression on me.

Of the studio monitor style the M50 seems to stand out, but I am not sure that is the best way forward since I own the 280pro.  Overall the monitor headphones struck me as more similar than different. The ATH-M50 is tempting, but I really have the feeling that they will not really give me that much more than the 280pro. Not so certain how they would work in a live environment.

DJ-style : more bass heavy (or bass punchy) for beat sync, flashy, sturdy, one-ear operation

Sony V700: very bass heavy. I can see these being useful for DJ bass-sync in club environments. One-ear operation was fantastic, bass was really strong and easy to follow. But too specialized, would be horrible for monitoring/mixing.

Sennheiser HD25: still need to audition, but I would really prefer a larger around-the-ear type.  I will try to find and listen too them.

Denon DN-HP700: like the looks and feel, but the sound was odd. One ear-operation was really nice, but full head operation they had minimal bass, almost monitor-like. Sound was also really closed in (almost mono-like). I even checked for a stereo/mono switch to see if it was left in mono-mode.  Maybe this is one to come to after DJing with V700s or other bass-heavy phones when one is looking for something else.  My friend who was with me really liked them a lot.  There is something good going on here, but right now they are not for me.  Maybe I will audition again just to make sure, but I don't think this will be the one.  (edit: on second & third audition these sounded a lot better. On my first audition I listened to them after the Sony V700 -super bass heavy- so I think that colored my impression a bit.  These are actually high on my list now for a cheaper gigable DJ headphone).

Pioneer HDJ-1000: on first listen this one sounded nice. Not so much bass bloat, nice midrange and highs, comfortable, one-ear mode worked well. Made a good first impression. But after more listening and comparing I realized that it was not that good, maybe trying to fall between the DJ specialized phones (bass-sync only) and a listening/monitor headphone. Not bad, but I am not going to buy this one especially compared to the one I liked.

Technics RP-DH1200: Really stood out. wow. Strong bass but still detailed. Mids and highs were great where subtle nuances could come through. One ear operation was fantastic in terms of comfort and sound.  But they are quite heavy. But the weight might actually be good in terms of keeping them in place with one-ear and they seemed sturdy.  Seems to hit a perfect balance between a monitor and DJ headphone in a closed design.  I almost bought this one yesterday. The shop person told me that Technics will stop making the RP-DH1200 at the end of this year so this will be the last chance to buy one new.

Pioneer HDJ-2000: wow. This one really stood out, but was also 2x the price of everything else.  Subtle nuances of the music completely came through in all areas of the sound from bass to vocals to top end, but the high-end was not as detailed/prominent as the DH1200 (more tipped down). Piano actually sounded like piano.  Soundstage was almost stax-like and 3D. one ear operation was excellent. extremely comfortable and light weight.  Sounded more like a high-end open back design or high end AudioTechnica not a DJ closed back design.  I really loved it, but I don't know if I want to spend 30,000円.

so right now I have narrowed down to the Technics RP-DH1200 and Pioneer HDJ-2000 as giving the right balance I am looking for.  I may choose the Technics because they have really very good sound, maybe more of a monitor balanced curve, excellent high end detail, and this will be the last chance to get a pair, or I may choose the HDJ-2000 because they sound so amazing and are so comfortable and still do the closed-back/DJ/monitor job.  The HDJ-2000 may be more a listening headphone and less monitor/dj or they may be just that good.  

For reference, the HDJ-2000 may not compete sound-for-sound against really high-end headphones which have been tuned for listening pleasure.  But I am truly impressed with the HDJ-2000.

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 38
Forgot I also listened to the 

ATH-Pro700: not bad. had a DJ bass balance but much better detail and soundstaging than most.  Much better than the v700 but I felt like it was trying to be like the v700 (like the designers took the v700 and said 'how can we make something to appeal to the v700 crowd but with an AudioTechnica flavor'). Not a typical ATH sound. More bassy than the HDJ-1000 (good for DJ bass sync, but maybe too much for monitor/mixing work), better soundstage compared to the DN-HP700. OK comfort.  I liked the RP-DH1200 a lot better for basically the same price.

Nov 7, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 38
If anyone owns any of these headphones and wants to add their impressions of why they love/choose their model, it would be nice to see other people's opinions on the topic.

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #4 of 38
Nice impressions! This should be a good reference for anyone looking for monitors. Thanks for the effort!

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 38
Of those listed, I've auditioned the HD280 and HD25, I've owned the M50 and 7506 (aka V6), and the only one I've kept is the HDJ-2000.

Here's a comparison I posted of the M50 vs 850 vs Q40 vs HDJ-2000 if you want my impressions... http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/512762/review-shure-srh-840-audio-technica-ath-m50-m-audio-studiophile-q40-pioneer-hdj-2000

You will probably want to have separate headphones for DJ'ing vs composition. Flat curve for recording/mixing/composition to make sure your mixes are neutral and are easier to work with once you move to a live environment. U-curve for DJ'ing since those are the frequencies that need the boost in a loud environment.

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 38

Quote:
Of those listed, I've auditioned the HD280 and HD25, I've owned the M50 and 7506 (aka V6), and the only one I've kept is the HDJ-2000.

Here's a comparison I posted of the M50 vs 850 vs Q40 vs HDJ-2000 if you want my impressions... http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/512762/review-shure-srh-840-audio-technica-ath-m50-m-audio-studiophile-q40-pioneer-hdj-2000

You will probably want to have separate headphones for DJ'ing vs composition. Flat curve for recording/mixing/composition to make sure your mixes are neutral and are easier to work with once you move to a live environment. U-curve for DJ'ing since those are the frequencies that need the boost in a loud environment.

Thanks Armaegis!  I actually read your thread before I started my audition and it was one that really helped me to seriously listen to the HDJ-2000.  There is very little discussion on these headphones here. Many people here don't know about them or seem to dismiss them without auditioning.
I am glad to hear you say that DJ'ing and composing need different headphones. The more I listened, this was really my impression too, but so many times the companies market some models as "DJ/monitor" headphones.  These applications really seem more like polar opposites.  It now seems strange that these applications are lumped together.

Out of curiosity, would you call the hdj-2000 more a monitor or DJ headphone?  It almost struck me as less of a DJ U-curve and more monitor flat.  In your thread you said "relatively flat frequency response for a DJ can (still U shaped)" so I think we agree.  Do you use them for monitoring/composing? DJing? listening enjoyment?  The HDJ-2000 are really very very nice.  But having the DH1200 would also be nice (definitely more a DJ headphone curve though).

I actually used my HD280pros last night for making a couple test trance tracks.  Strange headphones.  They sounded great last night out of my korg workstation with massive bass and clean highs, and the track sounded ok on my walkman today with earbuds.  But on the walkman, the highs were much more recessed (almost disappeared at times on one of the tracks). I still think the 280pro has a strong treble bias.  Tracks sound great right now as I listen to them on the 280pro as I write this.  sigh... still a lot to learn.

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 38
Nice impressions - I wish I could audition Hdj2000

I've got HDJ1000 and have HD25 now - whereas I loved the bass from Pioneers, I do like the Senns more in every other aspect. The isolation is quite similar on both. Comfort-wise I prefer Senns (got only pleather pads)

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 38

Quote:
Search for "dave rat headphones quest" on youtube for impressions of multiple closed back headphones. 

wow thanks for this!  He tested the HD280pro. In one test the 280 had a nice flat frequency curve, but in another test the 280 showed a waveform distortion that he could correct by touching a heavy object to the backs of the phones. He thinks it is because the phones are lightweight and maybe a vibration resonance is causing the distortion(5:30 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHkb4bhdnRA )
That could really explain part of the strangeness I find in my HD280pro headphones.

I am starting to think that with any headphone, I will need to learn its character and adjust.  Even a flat monitor headphone, if I voice with them to to get a track to sound "just right" , the mix will sound treble light on other headphones.

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #11 of 38

Quote:
Thanks Armaegis!  I actually read your thread before I started my audition and it was one that really helped me to seriously listen to the HDJ-2000.  There is very little discussion on these headphones here. Many people here don't know about them or seem to dismiss them without auditioning.
I am glad to hear you say that DJ'ing and composing need different headphones. The more I listened, this was really my impression too, but so many times the companies market some models as "DJ/monitor" headphones.  These applications really seem more like polar opposites.  It now seems strange that these applications are lumped together.

Out of curiosity, would you call the hdj-2000 more a monitor or DJ headphone?  It almost struck me as less of a DJ U-curve and more monitor flat.  In your thread you said "relatively flat frequency response for a DJ can (still U shaped)" so I think we agree.  Do you use them for monitoring/composing? DJing? listening enjoyment?  The HDJ-2000 are really very very nice.  But having the DH1200 would also be nice (definitely more a DJ headphone curve though).

When you're putting your mixes together, you want neutrality (or even bass light) so you can adjust the levels accordingly. If you have a bass heavy phone for example, then the low end will sound emphasized and you'll wind up reducing the low end in your mixes. If you play that on a typical club PA system, they'll have to crank the bass up twice as much to compensate. Proper composition actually required mixing it on your studio phones, then listening to them again through speakers or DJ cans (since a typical club EQ is going to be similar with a U-shaped curve) to get a sense of how your music transitions over. Good studio cans that I've heard are the AKG K240s and Sony V6 (aka 7506) and Beyer DT48e (uncomfortable, no bass at all, but crazy detailed midrange).

DJ cans honestly don't need much in the way of sound quality. They need portability, durability, and most importantly isolation. You're not going to be listening to the nuances of your music when dj'ing, you just need to hear your music period. Probably the best thing a DJ can use is some iems with earmuffs on top (or if you really want to go all out, active noise canceling earmuffs like they use for construction). Features like swiveling earcups and mono switches are nice depending on your style of dj'ing. Removeable cords are handy, because goodness knows that'll probably be the first thing you break.

The HDJ-2000 is sort of in-between studio and DJ with it's relatively flat but still U-shaped curve. Run a log sweep through your headphones and listen for it to determine for yourself. I don't do any sort of serious composition, though I occasionally do edits for performers (but my style of music is all swing/latin/tango/etc, no "club" type stuff). I use my HDJ-2000 primarily for DJ'ing and casual listening while walking. They also serve as earmuffs when it gets chilly outside
tongue.gif
, though I wouldn't dare subject them to a Canadian winter outdoors.

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #12 of 38
In the UK, the DJ headphones of choice seem to be the HD 25 - with those on a budget choosing the SP version.

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #13 of 38

Quote:
Proper composition actually required mixing it on your studio phones, then listening to them again through speakers or DJ cans (since a typical club EQ is going to be similar with a U-shaped curve) to get a sense of how your music transitions over. Good studio cans that I've heard are the AKG K240s and Sony V6 (aka 7506) and Beyer DT48e (uncomfortable, no bass at all, but crazy detailed midrange).

Thanks.  I was starting to think that I might need two headphones: a monitor and a DJ. I am just not sure my HD280pro is that good of a monitor/studio headphone.  I may just pick up a pair of 7506 for studio/mixing/composing since they really are an industry reference. Like you say, it will take several listenings on different headphones to check the music mix. 

I will do another round of auditioning in a few weeks.  I want to give the DN-HP700 a listen again, maybe side-by-side with the 7506 rather than DJ phones. I also want to add the Denon AH-D2000 to the audition list as a potential studio/monitor (flat curve) option too.  But I have to admit that the HDJ-2000 are looking really quite appealing now. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 38
About the HD 25: do be aware that there are many different versions.

The model commonly recommended is HD 25-1 (currently "Mark II")--this model is 70 ohms, single-sided cable entry and a split headband. Cord length should be about 1.5m.
http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/sennheiser_hd_25_1_ii_1.jpg
**If you find the "Adidas Originals" version of the HD 25-1, it is this model.

The model most people do not recommend is HD 25 SP. This model is easy to spot from its single headband. It should always be cheaper than the HD 25-1, is said not to isolate as well as the HD 25-1, and definitely uses different drivers.
http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/sennheiser_hd_25_sp_ii.jpg

There is also a HD 25-13; this model is 600 ohms.

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #15 of 38

Quote:
About the HD 25: do be aware that there are many different versions....

Thanks.  I thought that the recommended HD25 was the split headband one, so I was right.  I will also check now for the ohm rating.
But the on-the-ear design may not suit me even if they sound great, but I will audition them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back