Stanton Dynaphase Sixty headphones
Jan 25, 2006 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

tyre

100+ Head-Fier
Here's a pair of vintage Stanton Dynaphase Sixty headphones (aka Pickering PH-4955). These headphones are kind of unique in that they are 2-way, with a separate driver for low and high frequencies in each earcup. I got this pair off of ebay and, unfortunately, one the right side drivers is damaged so it makes an annoying disorted sound when playing. I think these have to be one the best looking vintage phones I've seen. And yes, they weigh as much as they look.
smily_headphones1.gif

stanton015je.jpg

stanton022gj.jpg

stanton035xh.jpg

Jan 25, 2006 at 11:52 AM Post #3 of 41
Indeed, they're wicked looking!

Jan 24, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a pair of vintage Stanton Dynaphase Sixty headphones (aka Pickering PH-4955). These headphones are kind of unique in that they are 2-way, with a separate driver for low and high frequencies in each earcup. I got this pair off of ebay and, unfortunately, one the right side drivers is damaged so it makes an annoying disorted sound when playing. I think these have to be one the best looking vintage phones I've seen. And yes, they weigh as much as they look.
smily_headphones1.gif

stanton015je.jpg

stanton022gj.jpg

stanton035xh.jpg

Tyre:

In the year since you originated this thread, have you been able to fix your Sixty?

I've seen this model come up on eBay once a month or so; maybe you can pick up another pair for a "parts" unit.

I have what I think is the complete line of Dynaphase "cans," at least the original, gigantic size, which I believe was made between about 1975 and '78:

Forty (single driver per side; identical to the Pickering PH-4933)
Fifty (same as the Forty but with volume controls on earcups)
Sixty (two drivers per side; identical to the Pickering PH-4955)
Sixty Five (four-channel version of the Sixty, with two phone plugs)
Seventy Five (inline volume-tone-stereo/mono control box on cable)

A British gentleman wrote to me a few years back, asking to buy one of my Stanton units to use in a film that was set in the 60's. Nothing came of our conversation, but those "big blue" Dynaphase models sure do look like something out of an Austin Powers movie.

Paul :^)

Jan 25, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzveggies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have what I think is the complete line of Dynaphase "cans," at least the original, gigantic size, which I believe was made between about 1975 and '78:

Forty (single driver per side; identical to the Pickering PH-4933)
Fifty (same as the Forty but with volume controls on earcups)
Sixty (two drivers per side; identical to the Pickering PH-4955)
Sixty Five (four-channel version of the Sixty, with two phone plugs)
Seventy Five (inline volume-tone-stereo/mono control box on cable)

Paul :^)

Hello Paul, welcome to head-fi. As secretary of the head-fi historical society (I just made that up), I'd like to officially ask you to start a thread with photos of your dynaphase headphones and whatever information and impressions you might have regarding them. Anecdotes about filmmakers, musicians, or disgraced politicians would be a plus.

best, Erik

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #8 of 41
Wow! Thanks jazzveggies for the bump, and the OP, of course. Superb pics of some rather large headphones. Bright blue and retro. Nice. Just imagine the looks if they were to take a trip outdoors
wink.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzveggies
In the year since you originated this thread, have you been able to fix your Sixty?

No, not really. I opened up the earcups and resoldered a few connections, which, of course, didn't help any. I think the problem is with one of the tweeters, or whatever the high frequency driver in a headphone is called. The driver is glued to the front of the plastic. I didn't want to pry it out and potentionally make things worse. So the headphones have been collecting dust ever since.

Quote:

I've seen this model come up on eBay once a month or so; maybe you can pick up another pair for a "parts" unit.

Yeah, I've thought about getting another pair. They usually seem to go for bit more than I'm willing to pay though.

Quote:

Excellent. You should post some pictures.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #11 of 41
Wow, just have to say, those are sweet looking!

Jan 25, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #12 of 41
Erik, I can certainly post some photos of my Big Blue collection. Can't promise that these will turn out as crisp and nice as those our friend tyre used to inaugurate this here thread.

vagarach, you may not have noticed but the photos in my reply were actually part of the quote from tyre's original post and, sadly, are not of my Sixty. In any event, you're right, those are some superb pics of nice looking cans!

tyre, sorry to hear that you've not had any luck getting your Sixty back in service. I can understand your not wanting to pry the tweeter (yes, that's what the high-frequency driver is called) away from its mount. I agree that doing so could very well make things worse. I'm reminded of the warning labels affixed to various consumer goods, "No user-replaceable parts inside."

As for additional units on eBay, how much are you willing to pay? I've seen those go for anwhere between $20 and $60, depending on time of year, how many people are watching, phase of the moon, and so on.

I'll see if I can find a suitable background to use for some photos, though I don't know that I can match the clarity of yours -- good job.

All right, d-cee, I admit it: My bad! Call me easily distracted.

I first stopped in a while back looking for some info on, hmmm, let's see, I believe comparisons between the high-end Sennheiser models and the Sony MDR-CD3000; I own the latter -- smooth as silk with plenty of low end!

Maybe I can look around the site and make a bunch of clever, impertinent replies in order to boost my status to the vaunted "100+" then return here and say, "How ya like me now?" -- LOL!

Towert7, high five to ya; the Sixty is "sweet" indeed. There is no mistaking that for anything else in the world, at least visually.

On an unrelated note, any of you fancy the 70s-era Koss models? The classic in that line, of course, would be the sweat-inducing Pro/4AA; this was followed by the Pro/4AAA, Pro/4AAA Plus, Pro/450 and who knows what else. I managed to find the predecessor models, the Pro-4A and the Pro-4, some time ago. Olive drab: Who knew?

Then you have the numerous entries by Pioneer ("pie in ear") ... ;-b

I see the midnight hour is fast approaching here in Los Angeles. G'night, all.

Jan 28, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by SexCells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking i'm going to buy a set like that (if i can find them). I might mod them though.

Yeah, Sex, you should pick up one of those bad boys on eBay and stuff some RS-1 drivers inside-- now that would be the hot ticket. LOL

Jan 30, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzveggies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, Sex, you should pick up one of those bad boys on eBay and stuff some RS-1 drivers inside-- now that would be the hot ticket. LOL

Well, these sixty's are on their way to me as we speak. And i'm not quite sure what drivers i'm going to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back