Stacking magnets?
Mar 11, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #46 of 190
I have an Akai 50X that will be getting the magnet treatment....how is it as an open back? I might be interested in doing that to mine.

also? I KNEW the 50X would look cool as an open back!

It's awesome! Even better soundstage, much deeper sub bass extension, more sub bass quantity (or at least it seems to be more because of the deeper extension, so I think this is just an illusion).

I love it - the 50X/clones are great stock, but now it's even better. Plus as you mentioned it looks way cool.

The full writeups (along with some bonus mods) are here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chi...-ear-headphones.822184/page-207#post-14097278
or
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...adphone-mods-here.867426/page-4#post-14097319

Apr 7, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #48 of 190
hi, new to this thread, just a noob question here, does magnets damages the drivers in the longer run?

No, all dynamic speakers have magnets in them already. It's a fundamental part of their design, and a dynamic speaker wouldn't work without a magnet.

magnet.gif

Apr 7, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #50 of 190
ahh i see thanks!. btw will this mod can be also applied to grados or takstar hi-2050?

Any dynamic driver where it will phyically fit. That depeneds on the individual headphone. You can add a magnet to some headphones, but not others. Also, the size of the magnet needs to be taken into consideration.

There is more info here:

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #51 of 190
Apr 7, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #52 of 190
IMG_20180407_104602_622.jpg

Apr 7, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #53 of 190
thanks, ill try to find those magnets at my local hardware shop

Easiest is probably ebay or Aliexpress. You will need to measure your headphone and see what size magnet fits (or even IF a magnet fits), and if your headphone driver needs a hole in the magnet, etc.

Apr 7, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #54 of 190
Apr 7, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #56 of 190
I just found a magnet suitable for my needs, its a magnet from the driver on an a4tech headset that I bought for the sole purpose of using it as spare parts. is it ok to use this right? IMG_20180408_113018_1_1.jpg
Its quite bigger in diameter compared to the width of the vents so it covers a bit the 2 vents on the grados drivers
IMG_20180408_114044.jpg

but I have to say this mod works man, instrument separation is better, minute details pops up even more and songs tempo is more correct and faster. and its aesthetically pleasing too. thanks slater

May 3, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #57 of 190
I just found a magnet suitable for my needs, its a magnet from the driver on an a4tech headset that I bought for the sole purpose of using it as spare parts. is it ok to use this right?
Its quite bigger in diameter compared to the width of the vents so it covers a bit the 2 vents on the grados drivers

but I have to say this mod works man, instrument separation is better, minute details pops up even more and songs tempo is more correct and faster. and its aesthetically pleasing too. thanks slater

Looks great buddy!

Sure, wherever you can source a magnet is OK.

As far as covering the holes, it does change the tuning a bit. Those stock magnet vent holes control bass/sub bass. In general, when you cover up some or all of the holes (using anything from tape to bluetac to micropore/nylon filters to a magnet in your case), it usually reduces lower bass/sub-bass, and often boosts midrange.

Every headphone and driver is different however. I don't own any Grados (yet), so I don't know the exact effect on those vent holes. But as long as you like the end result, that's all that matters!

Nice job :)

May 3, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #58 of 190
Also guys, it dawned on me that the stacked magnets is also serving the purpose of mass-loading the driver. The mass loading effect is likely a significant contributor to the differences we have all been hearing when stacking our magnets.

People usually mass load their drivers with materials like putty, clay, blue tac, dynamat, etc. But the magnets are significantly more dense and heavy (by volume), making it an ideal mass-loading material. It's like if you had a 1 cubic meter box you needed to make the heaviest mass possible - would you rather fill the volume with clay or steel? Hint: you wouldn't even be able to move the box of steel...

What percentage of the improvements is from mass loading vs the increased magnetic field is unknown. If I had to take a wild guess, I would say 60/40. Regardless, each incremental improvement is what matters, no matter where it comes from :)

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #59 of 190
Also guys, it dawned on me that the stacked magnets is also serving the purpose of mass-loading the driver. The mass loading effect is likely a significant contributor to the differences we have all been hearing when stacking our magnets.

People usually mass load their drivers with materials like putty, clay, blue tac, dynamat, etc. But the magnets are significantly more dense and heavy (by volume), making it an ideal mass-loading material. It's like if you had a 1 cubic meter box you needed to make the heaviest mass possible - would you rather fill the volume with clay or steel? Hint: you wouldn't even be able to move the box of steel...

What percentage of the improvements is from mass loading vs the increased magnetic field is unknown. If I had to take a wild guess, I would say 60/40. Regardless, each incremental improvement is what matters, no matter where it comes from :)
I have been meaning to write more about this very thing. I think I talked a little bit about it in the 9500s thread. It seems to me that the effects that stacking a couple of thick little magnets on the drivers are threefold:
they add power to the magnet itself. (seems to increase clarity, instrument separation etc..it just makes them sound like better drivers)
they add a feeling of heft, the headphones are a little more stable on the head...it's a vague thing but they just feel more 'serious'
the added weight increases clamp, which in the case of the 9500s is a great thing. The drivers sound better closer to your ears... in stock form they are too far away, you lose a lot....anything that gets the driver close to your ear, without sacrificing comfort is a good thing....magnets are a nice little step.

May 4, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #60 of 190
iso tried out this mod, krk woofer, Fluke 287, 3oz gel ball dropped from fixed hight. Etc etc
Pic lost when phone died.
Results nadda. 3 x the magnet size w/ proper neos, or a 3 magnet set up with idenical krk magnets.
Not a bit of peak recorded mv ac or dc noticed.
It was like .3 v no matter what. ..

I abused the driver so much I need to reform the coil form , I bent it, @amn it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back