Stacking magnets?
Jan 24, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #181 of 182

vtr1000

New Head-Fier
This mod sounded interesting as it's cheap & totally reversible, so I gave it a go on my SHP9500s with some countersunk 15x3mm N52 magnets comprising a 4mm hole. With a single magnet each side it made a noticable change and stacking a second made that difference more prominent. It was interesting as they sounded more dynamic with the both the highs and lows extending further and with increased soundstage. It sounded like an improvement but with time it became fatiguing and I also found that it made the headphones fussy with music and sources - I was no longer able to enjoy these headphones when plugged into a dongle dac or when playing anything recorded less than perfectly. For this reason, I've removed the magnets and will find a use for them in the garage instread...

Jun 13, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #182 of 182

dhruvmeena96

Headphoneus Supremus
Sorry for leaving party back in the day
I did try the mod
And did try to make hallbach back in the day(impossible with N52 and human hands)

It does take away magnetic flux concentration from coil but overall flux increases. This kinda make diaphragm for fast while restricting its max Xmas(this is my theory) limiting Xmas action, I feel, give these cheap speaker a planar like hit.. because consumer driver are meant to designed to go loose(under-engineered stuff).
Having it in repulsion orientation, the concentration increases and stock flux remains same.. this leads to more excursion and loudness, which forces the diaphragm and causes distortion.

Theoritically, the repulsion orientation is what you want for way higher flux concentration but the diaphragm becomes bottleneck

The second one has its own advantage there, but stray feilds are bad..
I mean, a pencil sharpner got attracted to my headphone, which the grill protected...lel

Better get some mu metal tape and some steel to make this mod better and redirect stray feilds is the way to go

Users who are viewing this thread