Stacking magnets?
May 4, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #62 of 190
iso tried out this mod, krk woofer, Fluke 287, 3oz gel ball dropped from fixed hight. Etc etc
Pic lost when phone died.
Results nadda. 3 x the magnet size w/ proper neos, or a 3 magnet set up with idenical krk magnets.
Not a bit of peak recorded mv ac or dc noticed.
It was like .3 v no matter what. ..

I abused the driver so much I need to reform the coil form , I bent it, @amn it.

So all you did was measure voltage, right? And there was no voltage change, so the mod doesn't work. Am I understanding this correctly?

May 4, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #63 of 190
Just because you didn't measure any change in the voltage doesn't mean the mod is useless. I tried it on 4 different headphones. I noticed differences in two of them and not so much in the other 2.
The changes are pretty subtle and I think the main reason I was able to detect the difference in 2 of them is because those are the ones I have the most headtime with and listen to the most. I'm really familiar with how my 9500s reproduced sound without the additional magnets, and I do notice a difference.
It's not a drastic mod that will knock your socks off, but it took them up a notch in terms of listening enjoyment. I don't find myself reaching for my Fidelio L2s nearly as much as I used to because I find myself leaving on the 9500s for more types of music. I feel like the mod brought the sq closer to my Fidelios and kind of shelved my Superlux HD681 because they aren't on the same level now. I used to like 681s for when I wanted a bright/spare/clean kind of sound with similar soundstage....they seemed more detailed than the 9500s, but that advantage is gone now, the 9500s are just BETTER in everything but the depth of the bass.
Now I need to get my hands on some sorbothane and see if I can get a little more bass out of my 9500s....

May 4, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #64 of 190
Just because you didn't measure any change in the voltage doesn't mean the mod is useless. I tried it on 4 different headphones. I noticed differences in two of them and not so much in the other 2.
The changes are pretty subtle and I think the main reason I was able to detect the difference in 2 of them is because those are the ones I have the most headtime with and listen to the most. I'm really familiar with how my 9500s reproduced sound without the additional magnets, and I do notice a difference.
It's not a drastic mod that will knock your socks off, but it took them up a notch in terms of listening enjoyment. I don't find myself reaching for my Fidelio L2s nearly as much as I used to because I find myself leaving on the 9500s for more types of music. I feel like the mod brought the sq closer to my Fidelios and kind of shelved my Superlux HD681 because they aren't on the same level now. I used to like 681s for when I wanted a bright/spare/clean kexcursionuseriond of sound with similar soundstage....they seemed more detailed than the 9500s, but that advantage is gone now, the 9500s are just BETTER in everything but the depth of the bass.
Now I need to get my hands on some sorbothane and see if I can get a little more bass out of my 9500s....
My two cents anyway.
Bass? The ball must have done a very low excursion

May 4, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #65 of 190
May 4, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #67 of 190
If there were a flux density improvment then (at low freq) then the ball drop would have indeed been in the sweet spot you refer to.
Again just my take. ...
Yeah, I like speaking gibberish too, it's fun. Thanks for your two cents and hot takes.

Aug 20, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #69 of 190
My magnets finally arrived, GOSH they are strong!
I have trouble removing the original grill mesh, it is being attracted so much by the new magnet :D
After a few minutes I really like the result, I feel everything tighter, more dynamic, possibly better attack :xf_eek:
I think the added weight of the magnets themselves contributes to the tighter bass a lot (mass loading).
Now I need to try this on my HD580 which I believe has similar sized magnets...

Thank you Slater!

IMG_20180820_105728.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #71 of 190
I have been following this thread and stacking seemed very logical to me. I contacted the maker of one of the Grado mod drivers that I use and asked about permanent adverse effects. The answer was none.

I ordered a cheap $11 set of assorted magnets from Amazon. I put 11mm magnets on two different sets of drivers. Initial thoughts are that they are more crisp and clear.

A cheap and effective modification. Thanks for the idea.

Nov 9, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #72 of 190
Another potential benefit, at least in theory, is that stacking magnets might turn headphones into slightly easier loads for amps... at least high-impedance headphones. By theoretically making the drivers work more efficiently, the bar for amping requirements/horse power is lowered.

Just speculation on my part. Proper measurements would have to be carried out to be sure.

But I'm not entirely sure of this because, on the other hand, the stronger the magnets stacked on my HP, the more I feel the need to increase the volume...

The sound improves yet I feel compelled to increase the volume dial on the amp... anyone else has experienced this?

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #73 of 190
Another potential benefit, at least in theory, is that stacking magnets might turn headphones into slightly easier loads for amps... at least high-impedance headphones. By theoretically making the drivers work more efficiently, the bar for amping requirements/horse power is lowered.

Just speculation on my part. Proper measurements would have to be carried out to be sure.

But I'm not entirely sure of this because, on the other hand, the stronger the magnets stacked on my HP, the more I feel the need to increase the volume...

The sound improves yet I feel compelled to increase the volume dial on the amp... anyone else has experienced this?

I’ve only ever stacked 1 magnet, and never had a problem. However, I there is a point where it’s too much magnetic force and the driver can’t move.

You can test this by stacking a ridiculous amount of magnets. I’ve done this on open backed headphones back when I was 1st developing and testing this mod. Once you reach a certain point, the driver will struggle to overcome the magnetic force and will sound poor. It takes a lot of magnetic force though.

The real world limit for our purposes is the headphone cup itself. There is usually physically only room for 1-2 magnets. And this is perfectly fine; well within the limits of providing enough for positive results, but not so much that there’s negative results.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #74 of 190
Hmm, do you mean that in your experiments the drivers literally stopped working (made no sound or sounded distorted in some way) or they still reproduced sound but came off as extremely overdamped? How many magnets or how big/strong are you talking about exactly? Are you sure you didn't somehow block some vent or restrict airflow?

I can see it getting to the point of sounding overdamped, but I can't imagine it stopping working due to magnets...

In any case, this lowered volume effect I hear on my headphone already happens with the 1st magnet. Successive magnets add cumulatively to the effect. While I managed to go overkill to the point of making it sound somewhat overdamped, it never reached a point where it just stopped working. Instead, it reached a point where more magnets simply had no further effect.

I should mention that I don't necessarily think of this lowered volume effect as a problem. It's only a very slight difference and it could be a direct consequence of the fact that the sound is cleaner with less distortion or faster decay. I'm just wondering about the relationship between the effects of stacking magnets and amping requirements because I have reasons to believe that magnets can affect the impedance curve of a headphone..

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #75 of 190
Hmm, do you mean that in your experiments the drivers literally stopped working (made no sound or sounded distorted in some way) or they still reproduced sound but came off as extremely overdamped? How many magnets or how big/strong are you talking about exactly? Are you sure you didn't somehow block some vent or restrict airflow?

I can see it getting to the point of sounding overdamped, but I can't imagine it stopping working due to magnets...

In any case, this lowered volume effect I hear on my headphone already happens with the 1st magnet. Successive magnets add cumulatively to the effect. While I managed to go overkill to the point of making it sound somewhat overdamped, it never reached a point where it just stopped working. Instead, it reached a point where more magnets simply had no further effect.

I should mention that I don't necessarily think of this lowered volume effect as a problem. It's only a very slight difference and it could be a direct consequence of the fact that the sound is cleaner with less distortion or faster decay. I'm just wondering about the relationship between the effects of stacking magnets and amping requirements because I have reasons to believe that magnets can affect the impedance curve of a headphone..

Overdampened, poor sound, etc. Sorry I didn’t clarify that above. I just edited my post to make it more clear.

And, no I didn’t cover anything up.

As far as how many magnets, I used big magnets not normally used for headphone drivers. They were like 75 or 100lb pull magnets.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back