SRH840 or HD 25-1 II
Jul 2, 2011 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

GuangDude

New Head-Fier
Hi!
I´ve been looking for a new headphone for awhile now and have narrowed my choices to HD25 and SRH840.
I listen to almost every genre (but primarily electronic, jazz, indie). I don´t have much experience with headphones (best i ever had were the senn px-100 II of which the low range was overwhelming). So yes i do like neutral sound but also looking for ´fun´souning cans. My price range is ±200 euros (if you have any other suggestions, well please do tell)
I will be using them at home and outside (i find the 840  portable enough). 

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 12
bump

Am considering EXACTLY the same question.
from your description, it seems that the HD 25 is the better can, i'm on the fence towards them. HD 25 has more low end for sure.

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 12
Haven't used the 840's but I've read that the detail is nice, however the presentation is pretty laid-back. For portable use (and otherwise) I enjoy my HD-25's for sure. They're ideal and fun to listen to while being detailed/resolving also. Great for all genres IMO. Also, I recommend looking at the new Beyerdynamic DT1350. 

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 12
i own both. i love both. they are quite different. if they will be used more portable, go with the the hd25. the hd25 is so light and durable that i wouldnt have it any other way for on the go. if they will used more at home the 840 should work. the 840 does slightly lack on the low end compared to the hd25. the 840s are extremely detailed and are great for analyzing music and sound bad with subpar recordings. the hd25, not so much.

Jul 4, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #6 of 12
I think the hd25 sounds pretty damn good without an amp. I personally think the the srh840 is far more detailed but it's just a different sound. I am thoroughly impressed with the sound that comes out of my hd25.

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 12
i have both, and will attempt to offer some insight.
the shure headphones are more resolving and more detailed, certainly.
and offer greater extension, in both bass and treble.

with the shures, there appears to be no emphasis on any one frequency range.
which makes for a "do all" headphone.  but also one that might be considered slightly boring or analytical.
(i personally enjoy the headphone for "getting out of the way")

the hd25 is a bit more lively.  maybe a tad punchier.
the treble is soft, starting at the upper mid, and extending into the lower treble.
with a bit of recovery in "airiness" (maybe 9kHz to 10kHz).  so, the treble is unique sounding thru this headphone. 
but not objectionable at all to my hears.

the isolation is pretty good with the shures.  but a bit better with the sennheisers.  as expected.

if comfort is an issue, the shures are just a bit more comfortable.  being circumaural. 
the shures are heavy (relatively).  the sennheisers are light.

i'd say both headphones are exceptional for the money.
the shures, for me and my tastes, are more 'high end' sounding.  but the hd25's are more 'zippy'.
pick your flavor.

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
i have both, and will attempt to offer some insight.
the shure headphones are more resolving and more detailed, certainly.
and offer greater extension, in both bass and treble.

with the shures, there appears to be no emphasis on any one frequency range.
which makes for a "do all" headphone.  but also one that might be considered slightly boring or analytical.
(i personally enjoy the headphone for "getting out of the way")

the hd25 is a bit more lively.  maybe a tad punchier.
the treble is soft, starting at the upper mid, and extending into the lower treble.
with a bit of recovery in "airiness" (maybe 9kHz to 10kHz).  so, the treble is unique sounding thru this headphone. 
but not objectionable at all to my hears.

the isolation is pretty good with the shures.  but a bit better with the sennheisers.  as expected.

if comfort is an issue, the shures are just a bit more comfortable.  being circumaural. 
the shures are heavy (relatively).  the sennheisers are light.

i'd say both headphones are exceptional for the money.
the shures, for me and my tastes, are more 'high end' sounding.  but the hd25's are more 'zippy'.
pick your flavor.

exactly what i needed, thanks! You call the hd25's 'zippy' please explain 
blink.gif

Jul 5, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 12
If I may.. The HD25s will rock your face off, that's what. They're fairly neutral, but with a very upfront presentation, intimate soundstage, a very involving set of cans. Bass is punchy and restrained, lower mids crunch very well (great for metal, mind you) and the treble is sharp, but never bright.

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #10 of 12
Well today I tested both cans.. Ended up with the HD25's. I really liked both of them. The shures were very flat and good for many genres and studio monitoring. The hd25 were less flat soundwise. I fell in love with the upfront airy treble and punchy bass. Thr Hd25's were just more fun and WAY more portable. So im going to let my hd25 burn in :).

Jul 23, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #11 of 12
Im a picky listener, and pretty much will only have the best when it comes to accuracy, so I'd have to go with the SRH840's. Not raggin on the hd25's but to me, they seemed hollow a bit.

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #12 of 12
hd25 is very fun sounding and it will make you headbanging. srh840won't impress you immediately but after some times, it will make you sit and impressed by it's sound reproduction. srh840 is a bit bulky though for portable and need an amp to reduce the harshness and tightens the bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back