SRH840 for portable use?
May 28, 2011 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

TJguitar

New Head-Fier
On my headphone search, i've decided that the SRH840's sound signature sounds perfect for me. The major problem is that i'll be using these headphones on the go (not jogging or working out, just plane rides and long car/train rides) and i'm concerned they might by too large and unwieldy for this application.

Do you think this is a deal breaker and i should be looking at the ath-m50's/HD-25's or IEM's? Or will the shure's be fine?

May 28, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #2 of 17
Way too large and bulky to use them as portable cans. They really don't clamp down around you head, it's more like resting on the top of the head, so it'll fall off quite easily if you do something physically strenuous with them.

May 28, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 17
I find the SRH840 clamp firmly over the ears, but fit is a personal issue; your experience might end up being more like azncookiecutter's than mine. Isolation is pretty good as full-size cans go.

They're okay to travel with because they fold up compactly. But you have to unfold them and plug the cord in before use, and then disassemble and fold when you're done, and bag everything so you don't lose the cord. If you plan on using your phones in a hotel room or sufficiently long airplane rides, that might not be a problem, but if you'll be taking them out and putting them away frequently, they're not so great.

I prefer to travel with the HD-25-1 II; much lighter and more convenient, isolation is about as good. For me, though, they're not as comfortable for long hours' wear as the Shures are.

I don't have experience with Audio-Technicas so I don't have any advice in that regards. IEMs win for convenience, portability and isolation, and there is a lot of productive discussion about those all over head-fi.

May 28, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
I find the SRH840 clamp firmly over the ears, but fit is a personal issue; your experience might end up being more like azncookiecutter's than mine. Isolation is pretty good as full-size cans go.

They're okay to travel with because they fold up compactly. But you have to unfold them and plug the cord in before use, and then disassemble and fold when you're done, and bag everything so you don't lose the cord. If you plan on using your phones in a hotel room or sufficiently long airplane rides, that might not be a problem, but if you'll be taking them out and putting them away frequently, they're not so great.

I prefer to travel with the HD-25-1 II; much lighter and more convenient, isolation is about as good. For me, though, they're not as comfortable for long hours' wear as the Shures are.

I don't have experience with Audio-Technicas so I don't have any advice in that regards. IEMs win for convenience, portability and isolation, and there is a lot of productive discussion about those all over head-fi.

Are the HD-25's a big step down in sound quality? because i'd be happy to sacrifice a little bit of convenience for increased SQ.
Though in all honesty, i still haven't ruled out an IEM. GRGH headphone hunting can be incredibly frustrating.

Would be interested in more opinions on this....

May 28, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #6 of 17
i use mine as portables all the time. they are a little inconvenient but the sound makes it worthwhile. but i have to agree with the fact that they are lose and can fall off your head easily. it has happened to me at least 2 times. it's up to you. personally i find the sound and comfort makes it worth while.

May 28, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #7 of 17
TJguitar, I find the Shures and Sennheisers to be close in quality. The HD-25-1 II have maybe a flatter sound signature and more extension in the bass, but on the whole the differences are subtle and which one I prefer depends on my mood and music. I haven't taken the time to listen to them side-by-side so I can't provide a detailed comparison, sorry.

Keeping in mind I use either of these with a dedicated amp, usually with a Leckerton UHA-6. Your mileage may vary when they're driven directly from your portable device.

May 28, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
BLASTPHEMY!  I CANT TAKE IT! ITS TOO MUCH AIEEEEEEE

*screams and jumps out window

Do you have something to add swbf2cheater?
tongue_smile.gif

On a slightly more controversial and possibly premature note, is it worth waiting for word on the srh940's?

May 28, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 17
I do, sir.  

I loved the 840, but if you know anything about me I have a reputation ( and an entire thread on an 840 mod ) for hating the design of the 840 with a passion on par with the fury of 1000 suns.  Its a radar dish, bulky, top heavy and just not even remotely portable.  So when someone asks if its a good portable set, I kind of glitch out and end up jumping out of the window screaming the entire way down. :)

Jul 8, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #10 of 17
For portability, I think the 840s are really not designed for that. However, you can still use them but you have to be more careful with them compared with other phones that are designed to be portable.

Like as what is said here, they don't really clamp on your head and they actually just rest on your head ( which actually makes them super comfortable ) so you will have limited movement.

Remember also that there are exposed wires and you need to be extra careful when storing or using them. They are also not the phones that can take a beating. I mean the m50s and the Denons i have used feels even if you throw them around ( im exaggerating ) it feels they will still be okay. However, for the 840s, the exposed wires and the construction of the hinges feels less durable than those of portable ones. IMO

On another note, these phones have Superb Sound Quality and worth more for the money i paid IMO. And I for one will not hesitate to take this outdoors for the sound quality they give even if they are bulky. Just take good care of em! Lol.

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
For portability, I think the 840s are really not designed for that. However, you can still use them but you have to be more careful with them compared with other phones that are designed to be portable.

Like as what is said here, they don't really clamp on your head and they actually just rest on your head ( which actually makes them super comfortable ) so you will have limited movement.

Remember also that there are exposed wires and you need to be extra careful when storing or using them. They are also not the phones that can take a beating. I mean the m50s and the Denons i have used feels even if you throw them around ( im exaggerating ) it feels they will still be okay. However, for the 840s, the exposed wires and the construction of the hinges feels less durable than those of portable ones. IMO

On another note, these phones have Superb Sound Quality and worth more for the money i paid IMO. And I for one will not hesitate to take this outdoors for the sound quality they give even if they are bulky. Just take good care of em! Lol.

durability is actually much better then you give it credit for. i used to think the same as you. and the cords jutting out are actually pretty solid and would take quite some force to rip out.

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
durability is actually much better then you give it credit for. i used to think the same as you. and the cords jutting out are actually pretty solid and would take quite some force to rip out.

Ohhh okay. Thats really good news for me man if they are that durable. I want them to last because i love them. Haha. 

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:

Ohhh okay. Thats really good news for me man if they are that durable. I want them to last because i love them. Haha. 

i was always pretty frightened by the fact the extender is made of plastic but after applying force on it, it will take a lot to snap. the only part which frightened me was the part that allows the headphones to fold in. i find the thin piece of metal holding it seemed week but i had no issues with it even with force applied. you have nothing to worry about unless you are going to submit these to massive amounts of abuse.

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #14 of 17
840's make you look horrifically dorky, I think 440's look better on the head and are much more compact. With 840 pads on them, I actually prefer their sound to the 840's. They make great portables.

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
840's make you look horrifically dorky, I think 440's look better on the head and are much more compact. With 840 pads on them, I actually prefer their sound to the 840's. They make great portables.

I've generally read that the 840's have a more refined sound signature than the 440's. How do the 440's fare for vocals/soft-pop and electronic music? Also, I looked at the headroom.com mannequin photos of the 840's compared to the 440's and they look about the same on the head in terms of size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back