SRH750DJ or Crossfade LP2 (Limited Edition)
Dec 16, 2011 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

SikkNazty

Head-Fier
I've been waiting to get myself a pair of full-size headphones for long road trips or plane rides. I've been looking around and it's come down to the final two and I can't decide. I've seen a bunch of reviews for each of them. Both claim they have extensive bass and crisp trebles. I listen to heavy bass music such as dubstep, electro, etc. But also indie, rock, chill, reggae. The shure's are $50 cheaper, but lack the *bling*. I'm not saying it doesn't look good, I'm just saying it looks nothing like the crossfades. On the other hand, are the crossfades worth the extra $50 for a full steel case?

It all comes down to sound quality for me. I absolutely LOVE bass (i have a freaking Alpine Type-R in my room) but I also love nice, crisp, clean trebles to pair with the bass. Anybody have any suggestions? I'll be running this on a ZuneHD 32GB.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 16, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 21
I'm not an experienced headfier  by any means but by looking at response graphs it looks like the Lp2's have more bass but the shure appear to be more balanced and flat as far as frequency response goes. I'm planning on getting the crossfade lp2's within the two weeks as my first $50+ headphone. I love bass too and I think the lp2s look really.  One thing to keep in mind is that the crossfade's are semi open which means they may leak or let sound in which may not be ideal for plane rides.

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 21

Quote:
I'm not an experienced headfier  by any means but by looking at response graphs it looks like the Lp2's have more bass but the shure appear to be more balanced and flat as far as frequency response goes. I'm planning on getting the crossfade lp2's within the two weeks as my first $50+ headphone. I love bass too and I think the lp2s look really.  One thing to keep in mind is that the crossfade's are semi open which means they may leak or let sound in which may not be ideal for plane rides.

I love bass, but I hate it when it mushes out the treble, resulting in a loss of hearing more details in music.

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 21
dont know abt the lp2 but for bass alone 750dj eats the vmoda v80/m80 just like that

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
I love bass, but I hate it when it mushes out the treble, resulting in a loss of hearing more details in music.

This sums it up pretty nicely, don't get the LP2s. They aren't "crisp" sounding in the treble. SRH750DJ should have much better details I think but beware of comfort/build quality, it's not the very best. Maybe Ultrasone HFI-580 would be an alternative too? Better build quality but comfort is still so-so as the clamping is somewhat tight.

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #8 of 21
Srh750dj is my recommendation. But be warned they are built badly and are uncomfortable. 

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #9 of 21
I never found the SRH750 to be built badly, for example their cable is really thick! They're mainly plastic with part of the cups made of metal. I have never tried the LP2's but they don't seem to be the greatest out there for the price. If you can get the SRH750 for 50$ less than the LP2 I'd say it's an obvious deal. Also a lot of people complaint about the pads, I think that for leatherette pads they're normal. What does piss of me off is the headband, which is uncomfortable.

The 2 things you want are exactly what I would say the SRH750 has: lots of bass with a great extension of sub-bass (like the kind you feel more than hear), and surprising amount of detail for a bassy headphone. They're not as crisp as some other more neutral or bright cans, but you can distinguish the guitarist's nails hitting the strings just fine. The mids are a bit recessed, but by no means bad, they are just a bit behind the rest of the spectrum. Sorry for being a fanboy, but these seem just right for you.

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
I never found the SRH750 to be built badly, for example their cable is really thick! They're mainly plastic with part of the cups made of metal. I have never tried the LP2's but they don't seem to be the greatest out there for the price. If you can get the SRH750 for 50$ less than the LP2 I'd say it's an obvious deal. Also a lot of people complaint about the pads, I think that for leatherette pads they're normal. What does piss of me off is the headband, which is uncomfortable.

The 2 things you want are exactly what I would say the SRH750 has: lots of bass with a great extension of sub-bass (like the kind you feel more than hear), and surprising amount of detail for a bassy headphone. They're not as crisp as some other more neutral or bright cans, but you can distinguish the guitarist's nails hitting the strings just fine. The mids are a bit recessed, but by no means bad, they are just a bit behind the rest of the spectrum. Sorry for being a fanboy, but these seem just right for you.

I have met many people who have bought the srh750dj. Almost all of them had them snap on the extender. I am not saying it's guaranteed to happen i am saying that if you do plan on going with the srh750dj just be incredibly careful with them.

Also the srh840 is hugely popular and recommended on these forums. I found the srh750dj to be the srh840 with sub bass.

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:

This sums it up pretty nicely, don't get the LP2s. They aren't "crisp" sounding in the treble. SRH750DJ should have much better details I think but beware of comfort/build quality, it's not the very best. Maybe Ultrasone HFI-580 would be an alternative too? Better build quality but comfort is still so-so as the clamping is somewhat tight.

I've looked at that HFi-580. Looks very nice, it's over-ear right? And could it stand up to this song? What about the HFI-680 and HFI 780?

Here are some that I'm condering. (I listen to dubstep, electro, house, indie, reggae. so not only bass, but trebles are important too)
Remember I need cans that don't really require an amp.

Ultrasone HFI-580 
Ultrasone HFI-780 
ATH-A9005
Audio Technica ATH-A700
Audio Technica 700 Pro MKII
Grado Prestige Series SR225
Denon AH-D1100
Shure SRH840
Fischer Audio FA-003

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
I've looked at that HFi-580. Looks very nice, it's over-ear right? And could it stand up to this song?

woah, Panasonic HTF600 + ZO + this track = 
basshead.gif
 ear massage, I can really feel the notes in this song

Those are very strong low bass frequencies probably in the 30~60Hz range. Shures should have a little better bass extension than the HFI-580 but I think both would do well. Maybe you could concider getting a digiZoid ZO bass/sound enhancing amp sometimes in futurre, I think you'd love it if you like bass.

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
I've looked at that HFi-580. Looks very nice, it's over-ear right? And could it stand up to this song? What about the HFI-680?

Here are some that I'm condering. (I listen to dubstep, electro, house, indie, reggae. so not only bass, but trebles are important too)

Ultrasone HFI-580 
ATH-A9005
Grado SR80
Denon AH-D1100
Shure SRH840
Fischer Audio FA-003

The SRH840 are not bassy at all. They're not neutral, but if you "love bass", they will disappoint you.
Grados have a mid-bass hump, which is great for stuff like rock and maybe hip-hop, but not for electronic music, which is more sub-bas dependent. They have very little sub-bass, mainly because they are open.
If you had a smaller budget maybe also consider the Creative Aurvana Live, since they have the same driver as the Denon 1001. They usually go for than 100$, often less.

I haven't tried all of your options, and I know some of them are very highly regarded (HFI-580 looking at you), but I still think the SRH750 are your thing.

Dec 17, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:

The SRH840 are not bassy at all. They're not neutral, but if you "love bass", they will disappoint you.
Grados have a mid-bass hump, which is great for stuff like rock and maybe hip-hop, but not for electronic music, which is more sub-bas dependent. They have very little sub-bass, mainly because they are open.
If you had a smaller budget maybe also consider the Creative Aurvana Live, since they have the same driver as the Denon 1001. They usually go for than 100$, often less.

I haven't tried all of your options, and I know some of them are very highly regarded (HFI-580 looking at you), but I still think the SRH750 are your thing.

Ever tried the AKG k 550 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back