SR60i - What's going on here!?
Sep 4, 2012 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Biscuitz

100+ Head-Fier
I recently ordered the SR60i for testing purposes, to see if I could recommend it to friends with confidence. To my surprise, they sound really great compared to the SR225i and SR325i I have. In fact, I think I even may prefer the SR60i to the SR225i and SR325i. What's going on here!?

Has anyone else had this experience or is my mind playing tricks on me? To my ears, the SR60i, albeit bass-shy, sounds more balanced to me than the SR225i and SR325i, and the sound is more "even" to me. I think it has to do with the differences in sound-stage between the SR60i and the others. The SR60i doesn't have much depth to it, but I think I actually like it better for that reason because the sound seems to be hitting me evenly. The sound of the SR225i and SR325i by comparison sounds "stretched out", almost confused sounding. It sounds synthetic, like headphones trying to be something they're not. The SR60i to my ears sound like a pair of headphones just being a good pair of headphones, not trying to synthesize the real "in-concert" experience. I like it.

I might add that I have also tried the RS1i, and I had the same kind of impression - strange, "synthetic" sounding sound-stage. I liked the headphones though, very dynamic. But even A/Bing the SR60i and RS1i, the SR60i were much easier to listen to, less fatiguing perhaps.

So what's going on here? Anyone else agree with me? Anyone think my ears have gone bad?

(Note: All music is lossless and I'm running phones through a NuForce Icon HD)

EDIT: Important bit of info here: I am using SR60i with L-Cush pads. I think they sound much better with L-Cush than the S-Cush stock pads.

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 13
Heya,

I have the SR60i, 80i, 325i. I found they all sound pretty much too similar. End of the day the SR60i is the one I'd recommend to anyone. It seemed to have the least amount of tizzy treble. And L-cush pads are mandatory on all prestige line Grados. The stock flat things are awful and bassless. But end of the day I cannot justify the cost difference from the 60i to the 325i. That basically just makes the SR60i seem like an incredible headphone for it's cost--which it is.

Now if they could just make these things comfortable and fully over-ear, I'd be a total Grado-head. But as it is, even with G-cush pads (which make the prestige line Grados sound like bassless treble cannons), they become comfortable to wear, but horrifying to hear (however with equalization to adjust frequencies to balance out the sound change with the g-cush pads, it's listenable).

Very best,

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 13
I needed more bass, comfort and isolation than my sr60s could provide, but it's good to know I got an accurate taste of the "Grado sound".

I recall shortly after I got them asking about them on a non-headphone forum (harmony central or gear slutz I think) and everyone seemed to consider them "not real Grados", maybe solely based on the price.

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 13
Glad to hear a similar experience. Although I'm not just of the opinion that the jump from SR60i to SR325i isn't worth the cost, I think I actually like the sound of the SR60i better than the more expensive Grados (save RS1i)! That's what I'm finding remarkable.

Does this mean I should take a look into other brands of headphones? What would you recommend? I love Grado's intimate signature, and I prefer an energetic sound to a laid back sound (the reason I'm not exactly a fan of Sennheisers). I also gotta have open-back phones. I not only like the sound of open-back more than closed-back, I actually like the fact that they don't isolate outside noise. I like being able to hear ambient noises. Closed-back phones make me a bit paranoid, and they're also incredibly annoying to use with Skype, since I can't hear myself talk.

I honestly think I'll be selling my SR225i and SR325i. I might try the MS1i and compare it to SR60i...

And I hear ya on the comfort issue. Though I don't mind the on-ear design too much... it begins to irritate after 2-3 hours for me, but frequent minor adjustments or a short break makes it tolerable.

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 13
Rest assured, they sound like Grados. Believe it or not, but between the SR60i, SR225i, and SR325i, I thought the RS1i sounded the most similar to the SR60i during some A/Bing. The RS1i has much greater bass and much wider sound stage, though. Just not $600 worth of bass/sound stage...

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 13
Rest assured, they sound like Grados. Believe it or not, but between the SR60i, SR225i, and SR325i, I thought the RS1i sounded the most similar to the SR60i during some A/Bing. The RS1i has much greater bass and much wider sound stage, though. Just not $600 worth of bass/sound stage...
Quote:
I needed more bass, comfort and isolation than my sr60s could provide, but it's good to know I got an accurate taste of the "Grado sound".

I recall shortly after I got them asking about them on a non-headphone forum (harmony central or gear slutz I think) and everyone seemed to consider them "not real Grados", maybe solely based on the price.

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Heya,

I have the SR60i, 80i, 325i. I found they all sound pretty much too similar. End of the day the SR60i is the one I'd recommend to anyone. It seemed to have the least amount of tizzy treble. And L-cush pads are mandatory on all prestige line Grados. The stock flat things are awful and bassless. But end of the day I cannot justify the cost difference from the 60i to the 325i. That basically just makes the SR60i seem like an incredible headphone for it's cost--which it is.

Now if they could just make these things comfortable and fully over-ear, I'd be a total Grado-head. But as it is, even with G-cush pads (which make the prestige line Grados sound like bassless treble cannons), they become comfortable to wear, but horrifying to hear (however with equalization to adjust frequencies to balance out the sound change with the g-cush pads, it's listenable).

Very best,

Do I understand you correctly, that adding the bowl pads lets you hear more bass response from the SR60i? I never tried them on mine because I thought the open pads would overpower me with more treble.

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
Do I understand you correctly, that adding the bowl pads lets you hear more bass response from the SR60i? I never tried them on mine because I thought the open pads would overpower me with more treble.

Heya,

The stock pads that come with the SR60i and SR80i are flat little things. To me, they have very little bass response because the foam is not even the same as the other pads that Grado puts out, so it's probably to do with absorption or refraction there. I found L-cush pads alone added bass response over the stock pads markedly, it was very noticeable, not just subtle. The whole headphone sounded better with the L-cush pads; and treble did not become a problem, it was virtually the same to me. I consider them a $20 mandatory investment into any Grado that doesn't already come with them (the lower end Prestige series). The G-cush pads did the opposite, bass went away, and treble just went into a whole new level of harsh and it just sounded wonky on the 60/80/325i's; I had to equalize the frequencies to make it sound at least neutralish again, let alone fun.

Very best,

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Heya,

The stock pads that come with the SR60i and SR80i are flat little things. To me, they have very little bass response because the foam is not even the same as the other pads that Grado puts out, so it's probably to do with absorption or refraction there. I found L-cush pads alone added bass response over the stock pads markedly, it was very noticeable, not just subtle. The whole headphone sounded better with the L-cush pads; and treble did not become a problem, it was virtually the same to me. I consider them a $20 mandatory investment into any Grado that doesn't already come with them (the lower end Prestige series). The G-cush pads did the opposite, bass went away, and treble just went into a whole new level of harsh and it just sounded wonky on the 60/80/325i's; I had to equalize the frequencies to make it sound at least neutralish again, let alone fun.

Very best,

Very interesting! I will remember this when I get my SR60i's repaired.....thanks for sharing! 
beerchug.gif

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Very interesting! I will remember this when I get my SR60i's repaired.....thanks for sharing! 
beerchug.gif

I will echo Malveaux's coments about the L-Cush pads. I did very little comparing between the S-Cush (stock) pads and the L-Cush on the SR60i. The reason was the difference in quality is so easily apparent that extensive A/Bing of the pads was not necessary to me. Definitely pick up a pair of L-Cush pads!

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Heya,

Very best,

Would G-Cush be good on Magnum driver Grados?

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
I will echo Malveaux's coments about the L-Cush pads. I did very little comparing between the S-Cush (stock) pads and the L-Cush on the SR60i. The reason was the difference in quality is so easily apparent that extensive A/Bing of the pads was not necessary to me. Definitely pick up a pair of L-Cush pads!

It probably won't be until tax time....the cable on mine is shot, and I don't have the cash to get them repaired right now (or the skills to do it myself...lol). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back