SR60 Or SR80?
Apr 15, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #16 of 28
Given it's only a small diff in price, I'd go for the 80s. I don't know if it's just because they're newer but the cables to the drivers seem slightly thicker/better quality...& there is a diff in SQ however small, and at least you get the bowls as standard on the 80s.

Apr 15, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given it's only a small diff in price, I'd go for the 80s. I don't know if it's just because they're newer but the cables to the drivers seem slightly thicker/better quality...& there is a diff in SQ however small, and at least you get the bowls as standard on the 80s.

Agreed. I bought mine mainly for the bowls.
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. I bought mine mainly for the bowls.
biggrin.gif

Hey, you pulled the trigger on 80s! Congrats!

Hopefully, you will love em! I'm listening to mine right now. Fab
biggrin.gif

EDIT\ oops, you already had 80s! Getting you mixed up w/ the OP. Doh!

Apr 15, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, you pulled the trigger on 80s! Congrats!

Hopefully, you will love em! I'm listening to mine right now. Fab
biggrin.gif

EDIT\ oops, you already had 80s! Getting you mixed up w/ the OP. Doh!

Nah, that's cool. I am enjoying them since I got them a few weeks ago.
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #20 of 28
Hey moogoob, I see in your sig you have Pro 4AAA's! Man, I used to have those years ago, only I think mine were 4AA -great big beige things, bassy as all get out, clamped like a Great White! Wish I still had them, just for old times sake
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #21 of 28
Man, we really threadjacked.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, those phones were bought before I was born ('79 or '80) and I've sort of inherited them. They were my actual first real pair of cans, and I've listened to many hours of my dear departed father's old vinyl through them- they rock for CCR, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin and the like.
smily_headphones1.gif

I need is to order some new earpads, though. The ones they have are older than I am and feel rock hard.

Apr 15, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #22 of 28
I have to disagree with the majority of the people here. I would go with the SR60s. To me, the bowls were extremely uncomfortable. The SR80 is supposed to be the SR60 with a slightly better cable. However, I could not tell any sonic differences between the two whether using the bowls or the comfies. The pad you use between the SR60s an SR80s changes the sound signature far more than the actual headphone models.

I would say get the SR60s and perhaps buy a pair of bowls as well. See which pad you like better and sell the other. Next upgrade in the Grado line would be the SR225.

Apr 15, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to disagree with the majority of the people here. I would go with the SR60s. To me, the bowls were extremely uncomfortable. The SR80 is supposed to be the SR60 with a slightly better cable. However, I could not tell any sonic differences between the two whether using the bowls or the comfies. The pad you use between the SR60s an SR80s changes the sound signature far more than the actual headphone models.

I would say get the SR60s and perhaps buy a pair of bowls as well. See which pad you like better and sell the other. Next upgrade in the Grado line would be the SR225.

Honestly, I haven't tried the SR-80's with comfies, but I am definitely willing to bet they sound better than the SR-60's in an A/B comparison with the same pads on each. I know the drivers on all the models look the same, but I believe John Grado has confirmed in an interview that the headphones all use slightly different drivers.

In my opinion, the SR-80's are a pretty large upgrade over the SR-60's. They have way more detail and soundstage. I used to own them as they were my first Grado. Either Grado is a great place to start, but if you have the cash, I would definitely go for the SR-80 or MS-1's over the SR-60's because the added refinement in the highs really gets you pretty far in terms of fidelity without spending too much. The SR-80's Achilles heel is its lower amount of bass compared to the SR-60's, or any other Grado for that matter, but I didn't have a problem with them when I owned them.

Sep 10, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #27 of 28
So, I'm asking the same question as the OP.
I finally have enough money to buy some decent headphones, since I just got my first job, I was going to get some SR 60s but If they leak sound that doesnt sound like such a great option.

I catch the train for about an hour to and from school, and I was wondering what a good option would be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back