SR60-Mod
Jun 27, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #4,846 of 5,004

Quote:

Let me put it this way, I like the mspros a lot and I"m going to grab them so long as they are on my desk. But, I won't lose any sleep over wanting to purchase them given the price and the upgrade in sound. 

If i had both I'd grab the ms pros almost every time based on sound. I'd grab the sr80is on looks or if the recording was a bit too shrill for the allesandros. 

TL:DR the allesandros sound better in a more aggressive detailed sense... But is it worth 500 more dollars (which is pretty much the price difference between the two)... Not in my opinion. If i had 500 dollars to blow, sure. But, not on a college budget. I'll enjoy them while I have them and not fret too much when they are gone. 

Quote:
As one of the "testers" who had the MS-Pros before Chris did, here are some of my observations:

1. Bass was tight and could be nicely destinguished.
  2. The highs were not overwhelming.
  3. The headphones had a nice, "balanced" sound to them.

Now, with those 3 points made, my observations and feelings nearly mirror what Chris has stated. 

Wow, you guys have been busy today. I had 34 unread posts for this thread when I got home from work today. I wanted to chime in again about the MS Pro and piggy back on the thoughts Chris and Wayne put up. I really liked the MS Pro a lot too and it was my go to phone while I had it. It's an awesome headphone and does a lot of things well. When I first started listening to it I was like meh. Part of it was my head hadnt really wrapped around the signature yet, and part of it was the SQ I was already used to from my HF2 and woodied 225. Like Chris though once the signature seeped in my perception was that I preferred the MS Pro, but only slightly. The thing is I think adding your own wood to your Grado can achieve results that rival the SQ of the wooden models Grado offers. I really liked the earthy woody tone of the Mahogany Grado uses. I'd be interested what different sorts of wood Marty and Cabillas have used, and which ones they liked the best.

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #4,847 of 5,004

Quote:
I still haven't punched the holes in mine. With all of the talk of changing the number of holes, I'd recommend you do the same if you plan on replacing the shells.

Screen is probably a good place to go if you want to bust the old plastic out. Alessandro is less affected by the grill though without the button, so maybe no change is necessary until you've done other mods. I don't have a MS1 so I can't vouch for it's performance with different mods.

Anyway, considering the money I could be using to go to some of Cabillas' shells has to go to a phono preamp to be able to use the RP1 with my better setup, I'm going to be trying some jatoba again. Has anybody (other than Bila, who isn't here anymore) made some super shorties? 1" single piece? I don't have 1.5" or 2" boards around here much, so it's either 2 piece or shorty.

you know... its not too hard to cover the holes... But, here is my advice, coming from someone who has punched them all slowly, covered them all up, punched two more slowly.. and is now going to cover two up..

1stly, part of the reason why I'm covering up, is the wooden shells.. if you intend to go with wood, I'd suggest not punching any to begin with.. If you feel like you need more DEEP bass, go ahead and punch one hole at a time until you are happy. Same with plastic shells, give them a bit, if you don't like the bass, punch holes, one at a time. I think the plastic shells improve with some holes, the wooden shells are a bit much with the holes punched in my opinion... 

It's all give and take, more bass sounds great on some recordings (especially live ones) but, on a lot of modern tracks, its just too much for me. I find myself poking holes after listening to one album, don't do that to yourself. Listen to a large variety from your library, before you punch another hole and you should remain happy with your decision.. I'm just impatient and I knew I could cover them up (with a bit of effort). 

The bass on my bloodwood cups with two holes is very similar to the ms pros.. i'm going to see what covering them up does, and I'll comment again later.

-EDIT-.. you know... I think I'm swaying towards liking the less aggressive bloodwood sr80's... They are just smoother, at the expense of a slight bit of detail. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #4,848 of 5,004

Quote:
I believe the white component is some electrical insulating compound.  It will ensure that the solder doesn't run together and short out the connection.  I also believe that the wires (positive / negative) connect from the soldering points and go through that insulated material and down under it where they connect to the voice coil of the driver.  My guesses might be a little bit off on this one - but, I do believe I'm in the ball park as I've worked with a driver that was hosed - so, I had a few moments to gradually take some of the components of the driver apart to review the construction of it.

Ok...this soldering is starting to sound really scary...Could anyone with some experience walk a noob like me through the soldering/unsoldering? Pics would be super helpful...I always see pics or video that have the wires soldered, then unsoldered...not the process. I only have one set of drivers on my 225i's. and I don't wanna bust $200...

Kojaku

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #4,849 of 5,004
I keep on PMing Bila but he doesn't respond.
He's probably never going to give me back my SR-225 headphones.
And if Bila really decides to never return them to me I need new ones.
But since being a broke college student...I'm looking for something cheaper.
How does the SR-60 sound compared to a Woodied SR-225?
Is there a crazy marginal difference?
Or will I be happy?
I listen to Radiohead a lot so I usually sway my choices for what sounds good for their stuff.
The easiest would be if Bila just gave me my headphones back.
If you read this Bill, I'd like my headphones back. I waited for 4 months now and gave you countless numbers of chances to redeem yourself.
ehhh...i just want to listen to music....*sigh*

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #4,850 of 5,004
Kojaku, I did it for the first time almost knowing what to do and I did fine, its not hard.

its easier if you put a bubble in the cable first and then just warm it to solder it to the driver. i didnt de-solder the one in the driver just cut off the cables, looks messy but it works. just give it a try, and treat it with love lol. you'd do fine.

ignore the blue silly putty, I ran out of blu-tack and dynamat that time

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #4,851 of 5,004

Quote:
Or will I be happy?
I listen to Radiohead a lot so I usually sway my choices for what sounds good for their stuff.
If you read this Bill, I'd like my headphones back. I waited for 4 months now and gave you countless numbers of chances to redeem yourself.

Billavideo, what have you done? taking the only pair of headphones out of a starving audiophile student is one of the major sins ever.

and If this helps, MS1 are great for pop/rock, I love radiohead, paatos and other music alike from them.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #4,852 of 5,004

Not sure if he is still a lawyer but maybe you can go after him with the Florida bar? i don't know. Seems pretty lame that he would do that to anyone. He was online earlier, guess he didn't have time to respond to pms. I wouldn't either though if I had presumably 100's of pms from pissed off people.
Quote:
Or will I be happy?

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #4,853 of 5,004

Quote:

Billavideo, what have you done? taking the only pair of headphones out of a starving audiophile student is one of the major sins ever.

and If this helps, MS1 are great for pop/rock, I love radiohead, paatos and other music alike from them.

Thanks James, I'll look into them.

I recently found this image on a japanese blog but I've never seen the PS1000's look so good.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #4,855 of 5,004
So if I'm not recabling and I'm gonna reuse the original cable, do I just melt the solder and then suck it up with a solder sucker? Does that whit part stay there when I pull up the wires? Sorry if im asking too many questions...I too am a college student xD

Kojaku

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #4,858 of 5,004

I am not waiting on anything from him. I'm just a past customer that doesn't like whats hes doing to the community.
Quote:
hey schwallman have you tried calling him since you're from florida? you could update him that theres a mob slowly rounding up here lol

people waiting on bilavideo add your name to the list

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/560351/bilavideo-cups-pending-list

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #4,859 of 5,004
I would almost guarantee they would sound identical to the hf2s. The hf2 driver has one hole punched through it. I bet a 325 driver with the same config would sound just the same.

Quote:
Has anyone taken the sr-325i's and put a wooden inner cup on them? Would this tame the highs a bit? Also how would it compare to hf-2's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back