SR60-Mod
Jun 26, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #4,786 of 5,004

Quote:
I have been looking for the Dynamat liquid, people are putting on the back of the drivers is there any way someone could tell me where the best place to get it is?  I can not find anyone locally with it :frowning2: or what the next best stuff is to it 

I don't know about a Dynamat "liquid" product.  Usually, all Dynamat is sandwiched between a paper layer and a silver / aluminum layer.  The paper layer is removed and the Dynamat is typically pushed into place in trunks of cars, etc. where it's typically used.  However, there are those of us that take it a step different.  I remove the paper and put the silver / aluminum layer down.  Then, using a craft knife, I work at scraping the tar-ish Dynamat material loose.  I get a small ball of it and work it like putty.  I then adhere it to the back of the Grado magnet - being careful not to cover the 2 vent holes on the magnet.

That's it!  Simple to do!

Jun 26, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #4,787 of 5,004

Quote:
Certainly :) I'm not sure i'd mod some 325i's... Unless I was going to replace the inners with some wood. I'd do that in a heartbeat if i could get a good pair turned out. But, I'd keep the aluminium shells. Hmmm I think Ideally I'd own a pair of 225i woodies and some 325i's with a wood inner. But, for now my college budget is very happy with my bloodwood sr80i's :)

Chris,  After owning the SR-325i headphones, I will admit that it does take some time to get used to them.  For one, due to the aluminum construction, they are heavier and your head has to take some time to adjust to this.  Some people might not even like the extra weight.  However, if one were to keep them and enjoy them -  then a "stealth" mod as you suggested would be in order.  I was one of Bilavideo's candidates to try wooden liners on the SR-325i headphones.  However, I never received them and didn't have the chance to try the process out to see how the wood inserts would change the sound over the stock aluminum.

Jun 26, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #4,788 of 5,004

Quote:
I am glad that mine weren't the only ones I searched the forums and couldn't find any post about it, after about 20mins of trying to heat them apart I said forget it I didn't like them anyways. Dremel time haha

I have been looking for the Dynamat liquid, people are putting on the back of the drivers is there any way someone could tell me where the best place to get it is?  I can not find anyone locally with it :frowning2: or what the next best stuff is to it 

Yup, its not a liquid. It comes in sheets. there is dynamat and dynamat extreme which has an aluminium layer on the outside. I just cut mine to size and poked two holes with a small screwdriver and stuck it on there, foil and all. There is prolly someone floating around that has some extra.. I might have some to spare soon. I'll let you know.

Jun 26, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #4,789 of 5,004
Cardas cable costs here around 30€/ metre with ship, they are protected with three folders protection, it is the most considerated the best cable here. And it only win one little step of definition in my opinion. The original cable of 225, 325...to up is a good choice for me. May be i test silver in a future.

Greetings.

Jun 26, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #4,790 of 5,004
Grado uses a beautiful cable on their SR-225 and an even better one on their SR-325!

I think I might be interested in some big chunky 20AWG close to what ALO uses, except I want them to be silver. The problem is the cost is going to be stratospheric and probably little to no sonic benefit over the 24AWG I use now.

You know if I consolidated my Grado cans, I could probably just go straight to some new MS-2i's, recable them, and call it a day but something likes having a stack of Grado boxes on my dresser.

Jun 26, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #4,791 of 5,004
I've used this stuff before: http://www.amazon.com/Elemental-Designs-Deadening-Liquid-Black/dp/B000971DX2

It worked really well... but was one h3ll of a mess!

Quote:
I am glad that mine weren't the only ones I searched the forums and couldn't find any post about it, after about 20mins of trying to heat them apart I said forget it I didn't like them anyways. Dremel time haha

Jun 26, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #4,792 of 5,004

Quote:
Pictures.  Time for Pictures !!!!  Here's my SR-225 Grados with the Cabillas Sapele cups on them.  I've re-worked the screen since my first picture was posted over a week ago.  I bought the modeling screen at the craft store, cut a precise round hole and painted them black before installing them. Here you go ...  (Scroll to the bottom of the pictures to see my additional comments and a mini-review.  A more more thorough review will be reserved for KneelJung's thread on wooden cup headphones.

Here's a side shot, showing the cups, the new screen and essentially the whole package:

A front view of the headphones to get an idea of how the somewhat "mushroom-style" cups appear when all set into place.

A side view (a little out of focus) but, still showing the installation of the new screen.  The screen is now flat - no more bulging like the previous aluminum screen that I used.

Impressions: I'm totally impressed with how these have turned out.  The drivers had to be liberated from the mini-cups that they were originally encased in.  They fit snugly in place in the Cabillas' cups without any adhesive.  If you ever need access to the drivers or chamber, you simply remove the ear pad, push down on one edge of the driver, allowing the other side to pop up so you can grasp it from the cup housing and set it aside (being careful not to tug too hard on the cable).  I love these headphones ... seriously!!!   I'm going to stay with two (actually) 3 pair of headphones and that's it.  It will be these, my burls (also photos and impressions will be forthcoming) and finally my Sennheiser HD555s that I use to go to sleep with.  That will be all.

Other People's Impressions: The last few days, I had the headphones into work.  There are some people who are into music and love audio.  These are the individuals that I was able to share the experience of these with.  The first guy is a DJ and from South America.  I put on Concha Buika (as played through my Walkman, LOD and FiiO E11 amplifier).  Since he's very fluent in Spanish, he could immediately connect to her music.  Her voice is throaty, her music is full of tasteful instruments and percussion.  I could see the emotion in his eyes.  After a few songs, he put the headphones down - totally impressed with the sound.  I did explain to him how these were audiophile headphones vs. the DJ headphones that he's used to.  He was well aware that these headphones are something that you put on at the end of a rough day to get yourself into "chill" mode.  He then wanted to plug his new, $200 DJ headphones into my FiiO E11 and we played the same songs over.  His DJ headphones made the poor song sound as thick as mud.  There was no bass boost applied at the amp level either.  At this point, I'm not sure if I've pulled him over to the audiophile world, or not - yet.  He does his DJ work on weekends to make extra money.  However, I'm sure at some point following our moments with the Grados, he did contemplate more than once about incorporating an audiophile headphone into his life at some point.

I then stopped by a 2nd guy who listens to a lot of hip-hop.  After one song, he put them down and said, "these sound damn fine".  He wants a pair - he wants me to buy him a pair for his birthday (yeah, right).  I have a sister with MS confined to an assisted living facility because she can no longer walk that will get my charity set of custom headphones - if I can determine her level of listening to music.  Then, he wanted to work on about 5 pair that he was convinced he could sell for $300 (each) at the barber shop that he hangs out at.  I explained to him that there have been many times in the past when I've taken a hobby and tried to turn it into something more - but, in the end, I was frustrated.  Because it then took on a competitive edge by trying to make sales - and then I no longer had my passion for my hobby.

Musical Impressions: I basically listen to anything that I can't hear on the regular radio.  Lots of blues, jazz, duets, etc.  These headphones handle the music I push through them with ease.  No sibelence, just clear vocals, clear instruments and percussion.  Each time I use them, they are such a treat to use.

Personal Recommendation: If one can - and, has the resources, I'd recommend using the Grado SR-225i / SR-225 drivers with these headphones.  To me, the SR-225 / 225i is the best bang for the buck driver from Grado.  With the lower level models, there can be some issues with clarity, instrument separation, etc.  However, spending a little bit more up front will probably leave you happier and you'll be less likely to kick yourself later.  Plus, if one checks the F/S section of this forum, you can locate a pair of used SR-225i headphones for about $60 more than a new pair of SR-80i headphones.  The SR-225i will provide you with the donut pads as well as a thicker audio cable.

Enjoy!

Those look great glad to get a good review on them.  I have been talking back and forth between him about ordering a set.  How well does the driver stay in there?  

Choices choices alu or wood lol 

Jun 26, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #4,793 of 5,004

Quote:
Those look great glad to get a good review on them.  I have been talking back and forth between him about ordering a set.  How well does the driver stay in there?  

Once you've liberated your Grado driver (removed it from the smaller plastic shell), the driver fits into Cabella's cups like a glove.  No adhesive is required to hold the driver into place.  Just use a press-fit with your thumbs and you're good to go.  Additionally, the small holes where the gimbals attach and the hole where the cord feeds into the cups is all done with such precision.  These are truly a piece of art.

Jun 26, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #4,794 of 5,004

Quote:
I like my MS1 just the way it is and instead of tearing it appart, I order a SR60 to play with. do, dont mess with Alessandros!! 
angry_face.gif

Jorge, there are always exceptions for the Alessandro MS-1i, too.  Would you agree with me?  
beerchug.gif

Jun 26, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #4,795 of 5,004

Quote:
My Marty MS1s should ship tomorrow. I'm excited!

Beautiful news.  I'm glad you're now working with someone who is 100% committed and will follow-through with his promises.  Of course, we'll be expecting lots of pictures and reviews once your work is done.  Right?

Jun 26, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #4,796 of 5,004

Quote:
Beautiful news.  I'm glad you're now working with someone who is 100% committed and will follow-through with his promises.  Of course, we'll be expecting lots of pictures and reviews once your work is done.  Right?

I'll look forward to your pictures/reviews too.. No pressure mate :)Meanwhile, I should be receiving Stefan's ms-pro's tmrw... I'll be posting some immediate impressions, and then probably changing them all around as the next week or two go on.

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #4,797 of 5,004
So I finally have a pair of SR60's coming to me this week (thanks Wayne!) so I will be able to finally give my wood cups a listen. I will likely transfer drivers to my wood cups and modded frames. For now I think I will be keeping stock cables so I can listen with my Clip.

I have a line on an SR80 driver (should be similar enough to my 60 to not pose a problem) which I can eventually replace my busted driver with to have two pairs of 60s. Should be nice, I am definitely looking forward to having a pair of headphones to play with again.

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #4,798 of 5,004

Quote:
Certainly :) I'm not sure i'd mod some 325i's... Unless I was going to replace the inners with some wood. I'd do that in a heartbeat if i could get a good pair turned out. But, I'd keep the aluminium shells. Hmmm I think Ideally I'd own a pair of 225i woodies and some 325i's with a wood inner. But, for now my college budget is very happy with my bloodwood sr80i's :)

Hey Now,

That is exactly what I am doing, sort of. . . .I have woodied my SR325 using G-cush, all 10 holes punched, dyna-matted, screen removed, JMoney headband, DIY gimbal locks and DHC balanced re-cable. They sound terrific. I recently got a pair of fairly decent "SR325 "Goldies" for 100 bucks from Skylab and am going to try the inner wooden sleeve mod. I want to have a travelling pair of Grados, so i'll use the aluminum cups and L-cush pads this time to have the smaller profile, my 2 woodied pair's cups are rather large. They don't fit into the Grado zip up case 8^(.

Old pics . . . . . posted earlier in the thread  . . . . . . . . .

I have since put on a JMoney headband on the SR325 and used the SR325 headband on the SR60 8^)

It sure is a lot of fun working on these Grados and listening to them. Carry on fellas 8^).

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #4,799 of 5,004
Glad to hear your finally getting some sort of resolve.

Quote:
So I finally have a pair of SR60's coming to me this week (thanks Wayne!) so I will be able to finally give my wood cups a listen. I will likely transfer drivers to my wood cups and modded frames. For now I think I will be keeping stock cables so I can listen with my Clip.

I have a line on an SR80 driver (should be similar enough to my 60 to not pose a problem) which I can eventually replace my busted driver with to have two pairs of 60s. Should be nice, I am definitely looking forward to having a pair of headphones to play with again.

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #4,800 of 5,004
I just got a pair of SR-60i's and I love them. I have a pair of HD280pros and some marshmallows, and these blow them away. I plan on making them look and sound as nice as those pictured above. So far, I've only taken out the cloth and quarter modded the extra sennheiser 414 pads I got. More to come. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back