SR60-Mod
Jun 8, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #4,292 of 5,004
C'mon, guys ... what's new in the land of Grado modification?  Me?

1. Currently waiting on a sale of my SR-325i "Goldies" so I can fund some more purchases.
  2. Waiting on the new cups that I've ordered from Spain.  The pictures I've seen appear that these cups will require the driver to be fully liberated from the plastic housing.
  3. Waiting on some goodies from Bill.
  4. Waiting on my gimbals from Grado.
  5. Waiting on the weekend so I can modify the burl cups a bit to allow the Grado gimbals to fit correctly.  However, the walls of the shell in that area will be a bit thin when I'm done working.

Also, I'm wondering about the differences between going with the SR-80i and the SR-225i?  The used market is pretty dry for the 225i, so I'd have to get a new pair ($180, shipped free).  Or, I could buy 2 pair of SR-80i and fill the spare shells that I'll have.  I wish this decision was easier because the 225i comes with the donut pads and the thicker cable.  However, if the SR-80i would provide me with 95% of the sound of the SR-225i, I'd be pretty happy.  I've never really been a gambler.  Then, I look at my stock pair of SR-60 Grados that I have had for over 5 years.  My daughter tells me how much she loves them and when I suggest I could "mod" them, she tells me "No".  What's a guy to do?

I guess I'll just wait and see what James' next avatar will be ... being that things are a bit slow around here at the moment.  
tongue.gif

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #4,293 of 5,004

Quote:

He said he's had them under warranty and continually been able to upgrade (I assume they let him use the broken product cost towards a new one) from them breaking.  I believe he's actually managed to come out on top.  

Well that's good to hear.  At least the company has let him replace them at reduced/no cost.

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #4,294 of 5,004
Is there any outstanding advice people would like to give before I try ripping off and replacing the rear grill?  From what I've gathered one simply goes medieval on the plastic with some wire cutters and then replaces with some form of metal mesh.  Have you all been using adhesive to get the grills to stay (extra glue there could mess with acoustics)?  Is there a black magic method I should know about?

Jun 8, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #4,295 of 5,004

Quote:
Is there any outstanding advice people would like to give before I try ripping off and replacing the rear grill?  From what I've gathered one simply goes medieval on the plastic with some wire cutters and then replaces with some form of metal mesh.  Have you all been using adhesive to get the grills to stay (extra glue there could mess with acoustics)?  Is there a black magic method I should know about?

Not saying that it's better than any other method but I poked a hole in the grill and then just used some narrow pliers to pry the grill off. I sized the replacement grills (cut from file holders, the same sort of material that many here have used) carefully and no glue was required for a good fit.

Jun 8, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #4,296 of 5,004

Quote:
C'mon, guys ... what's new in the land of Grado modification?  Me?

1. Currently waiting on a sale of my SR-325i "Goldies" so I can fund some more purchases.
  2. Waiting on the new cups that I've ordered from Spain.  The pictures I've seen appear that these cups will require the driver to be fully liberated from the plastic housing.
  3. Waiting on some goodies from Bill.
  4. Waiting on my gimbals from Grado.
  5. Waiting on the weekend so I can modify the burl cups a bit to allow the Grado gimbals to fit correctly.  However, the walls of the shell in that area will be a bit thin when I'm done working.

Also, I'm wondering about the differences between going with the SR-80i and the SR-225i?  The used market is pretty dry for the 225i, so I'd have to get a new pair ($180, shipped free).  Or, I could buy 2 pair of SR-80i and fill the spare shells that I'll have.  I wish this decision was easier because the 225i comes with the donut pads and the thicker cable.  However, if the SR-80i would provide me with 95% of the sound of the SR-225i, I'd be pretty happy.  I've never really been a gambler.  Then, I look at my stock pair of SR-60 Grados that I have had for over 5 years.  My daughter tells me how much she loves them and when I suggest I could "mod" them, she tells me "No".  What's a guy to do?

I guess I'll just wait and see what James' next avatar will be ... being that things are a bit slow around here at the moment.  
tongue.gif

How much does grado charges for gimbails?

Wish it could be easier too, I am gonna get a 225 in the future, but couldnt let go the sr60i new in sealed box for 60$ in the FS forums, I believe this sr60s are gonna get woodied as soon as billavideo send me the cups. ( 
icon_bate.gif
 )

and its so cool that your daughter loves grados (I assume she's quite young), and I understand her well, I have a very old MS1 and i'd rather buy a new pair to mod it instead of breaking that one apart, Its called true love.

Jun 9, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #4,297 of 5,004

Quote:

Well, what did the judge have to say about you change in ways??

500 or so dollars.. Much better than what it was though. Over bloody speeding tickets! GAH!

Quote:

You'll do fine cheez :) I'd recommend taking the cups apart before you try to replace the grille.. And while you are at it poke 2 holes in the cloth on the back of hte driver.. Only 2 at first and then 4 if you want more bass.. I personally cannot recommend more than 4 for my own personal taste.

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #4,299 of 5,004

Quote:
You'll do fine cheez :) I'd recommend taking the cups apart before you try to replace the grille.. And while you are at it poke 2 holes in the cloth on the back of hte driver.. Only 2 at first and then 4 if you want more bass.. I personally cannot recommend more than 4 for my own personal taste.

I poked four holes earlier this week, I'm going to wait until my amp comes in and see if I'm satisfied with the balance at that point before I poke any more.  These are my first 'real' headphones, I really should be pacing the modding a bit more, but it's just so cool! 

Is there a consensus on whether jumbos, bowls or reverse-quartered senn's are the proper pads for these cans?

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #4,300 of 5,004

Quote:
How much does grado charges for gimbails?

and its so cool that your daughter loves grados (I assume she's quite young), and I understand her well,

Actually, Grado just sends out a pair for free if you call them and explain the issues with the current one (e.g. loose rods, slipping, etc.).  I don't know how they handle these requests Internationally, but in the U.S., there's not an issue.  The gimbals are about the only part they'll send out to an owner.  Most of the other items (cables, drivers, etc.) all require you to send in your headphones for repair.  If your headphones are out of warranty, then the fees are quite minimal for the repairs.  Also, they offer you the option of getting a new pair of donut pads installed during service for an extra $20.

My daughter is 17 and a half years old.  She's had her rounds with the various ear buds (Skull Candy, Yada, Yada).  In each case, she's lost the tips at some point (ladies and their purses), so the Grados being a larger headphone, she keeps them at home and uses her iPod touch to power them.

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #4,301 of 5,004

Quote:
Is there a consensus on whether jumbos, bowls or reverse-quartered senn's are the proper pads for these cans?

You have to tried them by yourself and decide. In my case is this and I'm sure some will agree:

Sound: Bowls > Quartermod HD414 = Quartermod comfys > Jumbos
Comfort: Jumbos > Quartermod HD414 = Quartermod comfys > Bowls

Whenever I can, I use quartermod HD414.

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #4,302 of 5,004

Quote:

If you want my advice, I'd say go with a set of MS1's.  I just did a full woody jacket on a set and did the bass hole mod and sticky tack mod and they turned out great.  You can find them used for around $90 or so or $110 new.  Having owned SR-60's, 80's, 225's, they sound really good.  I found the 80's to lack the transparency of the 225's, but the 225's are way, way to sibilant. 

I had a work buddy who's been an audiofile (speaker kinda guy) for 30 years compare them to his SR-200's and he said he would be perfectly happy with the slightly driver modded MS1's if he couldn't have his 200's.  And this guy is quite picky.  He hates my Denon D7000's and vastly prefers his 200's to my Semi-Vintage, Silver Dragon cabled,  RS1's.  So I think that's saying alot. 

Maybe hop on the MS1 train for awhile.  I just noticed McProgger has a pair.  Sounds like he loves his. 

Quote:

500 or so dollars.. Much better than what it was though. Over bloody speeding tickets! GAH!

Whoa!  Chris be hot-roddin.  How many outstanding tickets did you have man? 

Quote:

I poked four holes earlier this week, I'm going to wait until my amp comes in and see if I'm satisfied with the balance at that point before I poke any more.  These are my first 'real' headphones, I really should be pacing the modding a bit more, but it's just so cool!   

Yeah, no hurry to go tearing them apart.  But then again, as one buddy of mine told me (Schwally) "they're only headphones, do what you want with them."  If you want to mod them, then go for it.  Just really read up on it first.  Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.  I've done my fair share of dissecting these toys. 

I'm a huge fan of the bowls.  I've tried the jumbos on 60's, 80's and 225's and find them too distant.  I think most of us like Grados because they put you in the front row.  In your face rock.  I prefer that.  I still really, really need to try a pair of the TTVJ flats though. 

Now, if you have a pair of MS1's you can Nickchen mod them with the distancers, driver mods, and jumbos.  I haven't tried it yet, but will be in the future.

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #4,303 of 5,004
Indeed, I've been loving the MS1 since quite a while now, I'd be my perfect portable if it wasnt so open to outer noises, and I'll take it over the stock SR80 any day.

Soundwise i like it as much as my Senn HD25. and about the distancers and the jumbos, that the mod called MS1000, and I am yet to try it too, I believe it can be done with the Jaben mod pack, but in aluminium, the original MS1000 is with wood distancers.

Jun 9, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #4,304 of 5,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlantinen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you want my advice, I'd say go with a set of MS1's.  I just did a full woody jacket on a set and did the bass hole mod and sticky tack mod and they turned out great.  You can find them used for around $90 or so or $110 new.  Having owned SR-60's, 80's, 225's, they sound really good.  I found the 80's to lack the transparency of the 225's, but the 225's are way, way to sibilant. 

Hey, thanks!  That's an angle that I didn't think of.  I was focusing too much on the de-facto Grado and not the Allesandro Grado's. 

I'm running the FiiO E11 amplifier which is a warmer sounding amp.  Actually, the sibilence of the 225s is tamed with that amp - to a degree.  I guess since using the FiiO, I've had a fondness for the 225s, which is what prompted the question.  Then again, they're double the cost and can cut into the other monies that one could spend on leather headbands, etc.

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #4,305 of 5,004

Quote:

I prefer Bowls. I've tried all of them but the jumbos. I like the sound and fit of the bowls best. although, the senn hd414 pads are might comfy, and so are the comfies in all honesty. Bowls>hd414 (modded)=Comfies (modded).. the hd414s sound more bright, because the drivers are a bit further away from your ears. The comfies... I think they just absorb alot of sound. i really like the bowls better on all fronts. followed by the senns.. i could live with the senns, but I'd be buying a pair of bowls as soon as I could to replace them. 

Quote:
You have to tried them by yourself and decide. In my case is this and I'm sure some will agree:

Sound: Bowls > Quartermod HD414 = Quartermod comfys > Jumbos
Comfort: Jumbos > Quartermod HD414 = Quartermod comfys > Bowls

Whenever I can, I use quartermod HD414.

sounds about right to me. But, I'm one of the few that thinks the bowls are mighty comfortable and I have yet to try out the jumbos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back