SR60-Mod
Jun 8, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #4,276 of 5,004

Quote:

Perhaps the very best headphone out there is the pair attached to the sides of our heads.

Those are microphones, our head has a speaker though.

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #4,277 of 5,004

Quote:
It's three.  The first two had faulty motors.  The third was significantly better but it used plastic on one of the parts, a part needed to properly tighten the fit between the headstock and tailstock to avoid wobbling.  The third one worked much better than the first two but over time, the deficiencies of that plastic part became more acute.  By paying for the full warranty package, I've been able to go in and swap out lathes and even buy up to the better equipment.  I used my credit in the first two to buy the third and then the same credit to buy the one I just got.

Ah,  that makes sense; quite a bout of bad luck though.  Your work looks absolutely fantastic,  as usual.

Jun 8, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #4,279 of 5,004
Jun 8, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #4,281 of 5,004
hey guys how the hell does one remove the rod blocks? I've tried working with an exacto knife, heating them up, using an allen key to wrench it apart.. ain't working yet.

The rod blocks are attached to the metal strip of the headband by an adhesive, such as Super Glue.  The bonds of this adhesive crack easily if you will simply work the band, back and forth.  To reattach, just drip a drop of a similar adhesive into the slit in the blocks and then work the rod blocks back in.  If you encounter resistance, it can be overcome with something blunt, like a mallet, which can be pounded on the flat bottom of the rod blocks to hammer them onto the metal strip.  Keep in mind that this is more easily done if you remove the rods first.

Jun 8, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #4,283 of 5,004

Quote:
Im just glad he isnt a flight operator

I'm just glad Harbor Freight isn't in the business of making airplanes.  I've bought and used their tools before.  They're great for the weekend carpenter or hobbyist.  However, if you go much beyond that, it seems that's where the issues can begin.

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #4,286 of 5,004

Quote:
Chris,

The headphones are looking mighty fine.  And, your amp - don't feel as though it's overkill.  You'll appreciate it each and every day.

I do :). Off to court... someone wish me luck.. I got a couple of nasty speeding tickets. I now use speed control, but I'll have to see if the judge buys into my reformed ways..

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #4,287 of 5,004

It's three.  The first two had faulty motors.  The third was significantly better but it used plastic on one of the parts, a part needed to properly tighten the fit between the headstock and tailstock to avoid wobbling.  The third one worked much better than the first two but over time, the deficiencies of that plastic part became more acute.  By paying for the full warranty package, I've been able to go in and swap out lathes and even buy up to the better equipment.  I used my credit in the first two to buy the third and then the same credit to buy the one I just got.

So is this still the third or is it the fourth? Sounds like you're at four by that.

Does the claw thing hold the outside or inside? Or could you do both? If it can do both, that has to be pretty nice for sanding. And if it can hold the inside, you could put a wax and buff on them rather than lacquer and have it perfectly even every time.

Jun 8, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #4,290 of 5,004

Quote:
Or is it the other way around since he has to keep shelling out cash on the lathes?  Either way, keep up the good work, Bill!

He said he's had them under warranty and continually been able to upgrade (I assume they let him use the broken product cost towards a new one) from them breaking.  I believe he's actually managed to come out on top.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back