SR60-Mod
Jun 7, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #4,261 of 5,004
icon_bate.gif

Jun 8, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #4,268 of 5,004

Quote:
Sorry, folks, but I have to save another image that popped up for James' avatar.  That last dude was way too ugly.  I like the ladies much better.  
wink.gif

cool.gif

Jun 8, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #4,270 of 5,004

You burning them out with all that work?

That's my thoughts. "All that work" and Harbor Freight do not go together all that well. Considering that's what, 5 of them now, I think he'd be much better off just paying more for it and not worrying about the burning up of each weak motor/. Then he could work faster, longer, and likely more uniformly (though I'm not saying he needs to do more, he just needs something that could without dying).

I need to find a way to mess with the groove on these busted shells. Actually, since I haven't heard whether you want them back in this replacement deal we talked about awhile back Bill, I have yet to do anything. I sent you a PM a couple days ago about this, let me know when you get around to it. BTW, is school out yet there, don't mean to bug you too much if you're still busy finishing up there?

Jun 8, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #4,271 of 5,004

Quote:
Quote:

That's my thoughts. "All that work" and Harbor Freight do not go together all that well. Considering that's what, 5 of them now, I think he'd be much better off just paying more for it and not worrying about the burning up of each weak motor/. Then he could work faster, longer, and likely more uniformly (though I'm not saying he needs to do more, he just needs something that could without dying).

5?  Sheesh.  I haven't been watching this thread / been here that long.  I'd assume he's just trying to get too much done in one sitting and the motor is giving out under the heat.  (and man does he get a lot done)

Jun 8, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #4,272 of 5,004

Quote:
cool, I say golden grill.

you know... That is a good idea. golden or brass.. but then I'm gonna want to replace the gimbals and then i'm gonna want to replace the headband... Wait a second. I have an uncle that is a jeweler.. he might be able to just plate a grill with real gold for me. Same with gimbals/rods.. hmmm.

Quote:
Very nice Chris, how do they sound and how are you liking your Sparrow?

they sound great and I really like the Sparrow. I think it is a bit overkill for the grados and the fostex's.. but, I find it reassuring that I have a pretty decent source. The fact of the matter is that I don't have audiophile ears. I don't think I ever will. All I know is when something sounds good and this does. The dac/amp remain very transparent to the music while adding a lot of impact and energy to it. stuff is clearer and and more punchy. The grados love it and so do the Fostexs. (which have been stealing head time from the Grados as much as i hate to admit it. They are pretty damn nice. My go to cans when i'm feeling more mellow, or a recording is of decent quality, but doesn't synergize with the grados too well. If the music still doesn't sound right I downgrade to my portapros and everything is right in the world. They may not be the best headphones around, but they sure do a great job at making everything sound good. Just good, not perfect, not detailed, not neutral, not clear, just good :) With this little trifecta, it will be a while before I buy any more cans.

I am starting to work pretty regularly now though. Hopefully I can hold onto the money and build a real desktop computer, or just save it for later. 

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #4,274 of 5,004

I didn't see the post from bill.. I don't know how in the hell he keeps breaking those things. Starting to wonder if it isn't operator error :p

Quote:

It's three.  The first two had faulty motors.  The third was significantly better but it used plastic on one of the parts, a part needed to properly tighten the fit between the headstock and tailstock to avoid wobbling.  The third one worked much better than the first two but over time, the deficiencies of that plastic part became more acute.  By paying for the full warranty package, I've been able to go in and swap out lathes and even buy up to the better equipment.  I used my credit in the first two to buy the third and then the same credit to buy the one I just got.

This one has a self-centering three-jaw claw that lets me go back and do touch-ups at any point in the process.  In addition to the variable speed, it has a forward and reverse, which I think helps create a cleaner job sanding.  It's set up for wood and metal, so I can lathe aluminum as well as my favorite tonewoods, especially with the guards.

To test its usefulness, I decided to sand a couple of skinnies I've been meaning to sand smooth.

Even with a short run with a used-up piece of sandpaper, it didn't take long to get a smoother finish.

Applying the same process with another piece yielded a very smooth finish, even without lacquer.

As for the relative merits of Harbor Freight, it's the only place around here that sells lathes to a walk-in customer.  What I'd like to have, somewhere down the road, is a CNC.  I just wasn't in a position to start higher.  My $500 lathe is not a $5,000 or $50,000 machine but it's progress.  As my demands become more keen, so does my appreciation for the gap between entry-level equipment and the real thing.

For now, I'll hang onto the receipt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back