SR60-Mod
Jun 7, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #4,246 of 5,004

Quote:
just vented one of my drivers with extreme caution, but now i can barely hear anything out of it. any ideas guys? 

I'm not sure what your tool of choice was, but most people have recommended using a ball-point pen.  With that in mind, you still have to be careful of the depth level that you push the pen in to make the holes.  Ideally, you'd just use the very tip of the pen to slightly puncture the material and move the pen around the inside of the hole to open in up.  When moving the pen around, one has to be careful to be mindful of the depth of the pen so it doesn't sink into the hole too far and damage the driver.

From the way it sounds, you might have damaged the driver.  I've been there, done that.  You might have to send your 'phones into Grado for replacement of the drivers.  Their repair costs are not too bad and it will take about 3 weeks of total time - including shipping both ways.

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #4,248 of 5,004

Quote:
guys... which color is the ground on the grados? my right channel is white and blue and the left channel is blue and red.. That would make blue the ground right?

Yes. PICSPICSPICS :)

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #4,249 of 5,004

Quote:
guys... which color is the ground on the grados? my right channel is white and blue and the left channel is blue and red.. That would make blue the ground right?

Chris,

Do you have an Ohm meter?  Usually, a voltage meter / Ohm meter runs only about $10 and is a good thing to have.  If you use the Ohm meter portion, you can check continuity between the lead of the wire and the headphone plug to determine the positive from the negative.

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #4,250 of 5,004
ughhh how frustrating this is the second driver i've destroyed. i thought i was being cautious using the tip of a ball point pen as well. i didn't even vent each hole to make a "circle", rather a gash instead. 

Jun 7, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #4,251 of 5,004
hold the presses! just auditioned them again this morning and the driver seems to be fine now, just slightly less louder than the other driver...i think. i need to tame the crackling of base just a tad, nothing blu-tak can't handle. 

thanks for your opinions everyone :{0  

ps has anyone added these wav files to their playlist http://www.burninwave.com/? i leave my phones on at hours at a time with these files. 

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #4,252 of 5,004

Quote:
hold the presses! just auditioned them again this morning and the driver seems to be fine now, just slightly less louder than the other driver...i think. i need to tame the crackling of base just a tad, nothing blu-tak can't handle. 

thanks for your opinions everyone :{0  

ps has anyone added these wav files to their playlist http://www.burninwave.com/? i leave my phones on at hours at a time with these files. 

that is weird, maybe it was only "driver flex" next time use a sharpie 
tongue_smile.gif

and i burn my headphones with music, cant make a difference

Jun 7, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #4,254 of 5,004

Quote:
Is there a preferred color that one should use?  I'm sure a red Sharpie will bring out the best of the bass when opening up the holes.  Then again, I'm partial to red.  
wink.gif

a black one if you want to get a more dark signature, is there a clear sharpie?

to chris, Im eager to see your mod, dont make us wait like this 
frown.gif

Jun 7, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #4,255 of 5,004
Quote:
Is there a preferred color that one should use?  I'm sure a red Sharpie will bring out the best of the bass when opening up the holes.  Then again, I'm partial to red.  
wink.gif

Go with the silver ones and bring out more detail!  
wink_face.gif

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #4,260 of 5,004

Quote:

wink.gif

You sound just like my buddy last night. He was ridiculing me about trying to decide on a grille color. "black will bring more bass, Scarlet mids, etc."

Quote:

a black one if you want to get a more dark signature, is there a clear sharpie?

to chris, Im eager to see your mod, dont make us wait like this 
frown.gif

Bahaha.. Every minute I'm at home they are on my head.. Maybe I'll take some pictures of the progress tonight. Maybe. I should be putting the silver cables on the grados and my portapros tmrw. Still need to visit a cloth store to see if i can't dampen a bit of this bass (although the bass heaviness sounds as good as ever). Then I have to fashion some grilles and figure out how exactly I'm going to get them in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back