SR60-Mod
Mar 30, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #2,641 of 5,004
lol.

it's pleather, from what I can tell.

Mar 30, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #2,642 of 5,004

Quote:
lol.

it's pleather, from what I can tell.

Cool deal, thanks. The "lol" was maybe a bit unnecessary though.
cool.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #2,643 of 5,004
sorry. I just would have never guessed you were vegan from your picture.

evil_smiley.gif

haha but in all seriousness someone else should comment on this, I own a headband and can tell you that it surely doesn't feel leather but honestly I do not know man

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #2,644 of 5,004

Quote:
sorry. I just would have never guessed you were vegan from your picture.

evil_smiley.gif

haha but in all seriousness someone else should comment on this, I own a headband and can tell you that it surely doesn't feel leather but honestly I do not know man

I just found an info sheet for the DT 770s and it looks like the headband is leatherette, AKA fake. Thanks for the help though! I'm going to order one pretty soon here. How do you like it?

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #2,645 of 5,004
it adds a comfort and makes the headband look better. It's a no brainer for the price, I got mine used for like 5. I wouldn't have minded paying full price. Haven't taken it off of my grados since I got it

Mar 30, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #2,646 of 5,004
Mar 30, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #2,647 of 5,004
I too like the way it looks on there, most things look better than the stock vinyl headband. I am still not ready to step up to a $40 J$ headband, unless I upgrade from an SR60. Just can't put a $40 accessory on a $60 headphone by principle. I do like the Beyer headband although I haven't listened to my phones since I got mine (it came 2 days after my tragic driver event). I agree that the $10 I paid for mine was worthwhile, but they aren't worth the $20 ($10 plus $10 shipping) Beyer charges. I would hold off for a used one.

Going to be in Philly this weekend and have some spare time while my girlfriend has some errands to do Saturday. Hopefully will be getting over to Community Audio which is a Grado dealer (among many other cool things I want). Hopefully I will be able to audition some of the higher end models (RS) or even the 325's, which I only heard once several years ago. Hopefully by this weekend I will have my driver and my 60's back together too for some A/B comparisons.

Sorry for my complaining, but its been tough not listening to these the last 3 weeks after all the work I put into them.

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #2,648 of 5,004
i vented all ten holes... now my grado hurts my ears with pumping bass... feels like a basshead can to me...

blink.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #2,649 of 5,004

Quote:
I realize this, but covering them up has caused no ill effects. Hell, I have three layers of Dynamat over the back and there aren't any problems.....

[size=small]I understand what you're saying Bob, however I highly recommend that people refrain from this practice. When power (in the form of music or test signals) is applied to a driver, the voice coil temperature rises. Grado lists their drivers SPL @ 98 dB, which is only 3.98 percent efficient. That means that 96.02 percent of all the power going to the driver must be dissipated as heat. Keep in mind that the Grado voice coil is attached to the Mylar diaphragm using a heat soluble adhesive (ask me how I know). While one may notice no audible difference with the pole piece vents blocked, the ability of the voice coil to dissipate heat is certainly hampered. This in the case of a Grado is a bad thing.  [/size]
[size=small] [/size]
EDIT: Just to make it clear to those readers who haven't read the entire thread, I'm referring strictly to practice of blocking the pole piece vent holes while performing the Dynamat mod (not the Dynamat mod itself).

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #2,651 of 5,004
I would agree with Bill, the holes are there for a reason (likely to dissipate heat) and there really is no need to block them. Doing so seems like tempting fate to me. Plus I think many of us have seen how delicate these drivers actually are first hand (uncrinkling mylar aside).....

Mar 30, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #2,653 of 5,004
My experiences with four holes is that mid-to-upper midbass is increased, and overall quantity is improved, but the midbass hump sounds "fake", IMO. For a headphoen to sound really bassy I believe it needs low bass, not a midbass hump.

Mar 30, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #2,654 of 5,004

Quote:
My experiences with four holes is that mid-to-upper midbass is increased, and overall quantity is improved, but the midbass hump sounds "fake", IMO. For a headphoen to sound really bassy I believe it needs low bass, not a midbass hump.

which is exactly why i dislike the M50

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #2,655 of 5,004

i vented all ten holes... now my grado hurts my ears with pumping bass... feels like a basshead can to me...

blink.gif

This is good and bad.  If you want to stay with the smaller pads, you've got too much bass.  On the other hand, the very reason for the smaller pads is to limit the HF and scoop up as much bass as possible.  When you see all those plastic Grados sporting small pads, it's because they're pushing for as much bass as they can get - given the plastic shells and the unvented drivers.

So, if you've got overflowing bass, it's opportunity knocking.  It means you can afford larger pads, which will attenuate the bass and give you more opportunities for HF extension.  This is where you go to bowls or jumbos.  Personally, I've always thought there was a sweet spot to be had somewhere between these two - if only Grado would design the pad.  Since Grado hasn't, that's the key place for modder innovation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back