SR60-Mod
Mar 27, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #2,536 of 5,004
Thanks for the advices on the pads! I think I'll give the bowls a shot, and switch between them and the comfies I have now. I hope they have better comfort, as the comfies are borderline uncomfortable.

Mar 27, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #2,538 of 5,004

Quote:
I didn't expect it myself, but the results really are amazing! I am finally starting to think that the drivers really are the same in all Grados and the lower models are just the victim of deliberate crippling. Guess Grado are a victim of the brilliant simplicity of their own design and wonderful drivers...

I don't think that all the lower plastic model drivers are exactly same. I'm listening to my SR60 and SR125 right now with the same pads and they do not sound the same at all, SR125 being far brighter.  SR125 seems to be one of the most disliked headphones in the prestige series, why is this? They both have the same housing so what can explain the difference? Not only this, the massive difference in sound signature I heard comparing the SR60,SR125 to RS1i is simply not just from poking holes and adding a wood housing. I still think while the drivers may physically look the same, something beyond the eye can see is how the "destressing" compound varies. If you read what symphones.ca process , it states this

Quote: http://symphones.ca/procedure.htm
Once the driver has been carefully milled, we use a special solution to remove the manufacturer’s original “destressing” compound. The goal of the new coating is to offer appropriate damping while being feather-light in order to promote ideal transient response

Quote: http://symphones.ca/driver_damping.htm
The driver is the heart of any headphone system, and Symphones’ proprietary driver coating is the apex of our upgrade technology.

A newly developed coating material was created to address unwanted bending modes within the diaphragm surface. A unique ability to ‘tune’ driver response results in increased clarity throughout the frequency extremes. The coatings attributes together with its precise application ensure accurate and dynamic reproduction of even the most complex musical passages.

The sound? Clean, pure, and smooth—our driver coatings bring a new level of performance to headphone modifications.

Some impressions of the symphones can be read here : http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/434471/magnum-upgrade-for-grado-sr325-and-alessandro-ms2

Does anyone own all the lower plastic models in the same generation? SR60,SR80,SR125,SR225 or SR60i,SR80i,SR125i,SR225i

Mar 27, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #2,540 of 5,004

I too have heard lots of difference between different models in the prestige line-up...I also had a pair of 225s that sounded nearly identical to my 80s (actually I slightly preferred the 80s). I think the large difference that can be heard between different models (as well as the down-right conflicting reports from different people) is due to different amounts of burn in, and different runs of drivers; I recon Grado drivers change quite a lot from year to year not to mention batch to batch - it's not an exact science. However, I'd be very surprised if doping could alter the frequency response of a driver significantly in such a way as to account for the different perceptions people have of the various prestige models. 
Quote:

I don't think that all the lower plastic model drivers are exactly same. I'm listening to my SR60 and SR125 right now with the same pads and they do not sound the same at all, SR125 being far brighter.  SR125 seems to be one of the most disliked headphones in the prestige series, why is this? They both have the same housing so what can explain the difference? Not only this, the massive difference in sound signature I heard comparing the SR60,SR125 to RS1i is simply not just from poking holes and adding a wood housing. I still think while the drivers may physically look the same, something beyond the eye can see is how the "destressing" compound varies. If you read what symphones.ca process , it states this

Some impressions of the symphones can be read here : http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/434471/magnum-upgrade-for-grado-sr325-and-alessandro-ms2

Does anyone own all the lower plastic models in the same generation? SR60,SR80,SR125,SR225 or SR60i,SR80i,SR125i,SR225i

Mar 27, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #2,541 of 5,004
Quote:
I too have heard lots of difference between different models in the prestige line-up...I also had a pair of 225s that sounded nearly identical to my 80s (actually I slightly preferred the 80s). I think the large difference that can be heard between different models (as well as the down-right conflicting reports from different people) is due to different amounts of burn in, and different runs of drivers; I recon Grado drivers change quite a lot from year to year not to mention batch to batch - it's not an exact science. However, I'd be very surprised if doping could alter the frequency response of a driver significantly in such a way as to account for the different perceptions people have of the various prestige models. 

It is true there is some variation in sound even within the same model therefore it makes it difficult to compare. The only way to really compare is to buy all the plastic prestige series headphones on the exact same day because presumably they should come from a similar batch. A lot of the times we don't know if someone was comparing a year 2000 SR60 against a year 2006 SR225 etc, I suggest Grado to put SN# on the prestige series
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #2,542 of 5,004
Grado should just give in and start creating their cans with all the Bill mods in place. Would save time, and enhance all around sound. Heck, a price raise would probably occur.

Mar 27, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #2,543 of 5,004
Grado should just give in and start creating their cans with all the Bill mods in place. Would save time, and enhance all around sound. Heck, a price raise would probably occur.

There'd be like 50 models though. at least 10 different ones just for the number of holes pre-opened. Then you have pad options, wood options, grill options, headband options... that's too much creativity unless they make them one at a time (major price increase) or open a whole bunch of different workshops all specializing in each material/option (also a price hike to pay for their new facilities)

So to encompass everything we have seen here, they'd have to take custom orders on everything. And that would be crazy as well. They'd be doing fine until you get somebody like me who's weird and doesn't want any of the wood options they have and ends up requesting some burl buckeye cups or something like that.

To get away from my otherwise pessimistic post, yeah they should standardize some of it, I'm sure that's possible.

Mar 27, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #2,544 of 5,004

I know they are different drivers. The hf2 drivers in the rs1 cups sound completely different than the rs1drivers in the rs1 cups. Vented rs1 drivers sound amazing in the rs1 cups. I'm still hesitating to punch holes in the hf2 drivers though.

Mar 27, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #2,545 of 5,004

Quote:
Thanks for the advices on the pads! I think I'll give the bowls a shot, and switch between them and the comfies I have now. I hope they have better comfort, as the comfies are borderline uncomfortable.

Er, I think you might be in for a shock - most, myself included, find the bowls LESS comfortable. That said, I perservere with them because I prefer the sound from the BV60i with the bowls over the comfies - stock 60s, I would stick with the comfies or the HD414s.

Mar 27, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #2,546 of 5,004
^ Bowls are more comfortable than "comfies" for me.

Mar 27, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #2,547 of 5,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

'Impressions' ? More like a swag of lollygaggers giving one another excuses for why the Magnum couldnt possibly be good value for money. For all I know, they are right, but you dont get to make that call until you have HEARD THE FREAKIN' THINGS ! I get really annoyed when I start into a thread which purports to be about a headphone or piece of kit, only to find that its just people speculating about the kit in question.

Edit: OK, starting at the *end* of that thread, there are some actual impressions - hooray - and I have to say that they arent encouraging. Either the mods take time to settle in, or Symphones have simply made a very bright pair of phones even brighter while improving the mids and, possibly, muddying the bass. Again, I havent heard the modded 325, but I can get enough treble from my existing SR325is, thanks.

Mar 27, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #2,549 of 5,004
You have big ears sir.

Mar 27, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #2,550 of 5,004
Hey all, I recently did the vent mod on my SR-80is, but now the phone gets awfully distorted with low bass, which is a major bummer. I've looked at it really carefully, I can't find anything wrong. The wiring is perfect, I didn't touch the mylar, I can't see any dirt, etc. Any ideas? I hope someone can help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back