SR60-Mod
Mar 27, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #2,521 of 5,004

Quote:
Haha, it's totally my fault (I'm a bit flustered because I just realized that by putting my 5 headphone reviews aside to bring my math grade up from a D- to an A-, my chemistry up from a D+ to a B+, and my English grade up from a C to an A, I now need to give up my spring break to finish them, so I wasn't in the best mood since I realized it was my fault, and just made some friends mad at that fact.), and to rage back at some (funny) sarcasm would be totally uncalled for, especially to the person that is basically the reason people are starting to get into modding, which excites me because there will always be people that figure out new things through accidents that end up being an improvement rather than a flustercuck. As far as being a new contributor, I have a few ideas, but the likelihood of them actually being valid is slim. I want to use a Pioneer SE-205, Koss PRO4AA, or a broken pair of Stax SR30's to cannibalize and replace the minimalistic headband. And I want to do everything possible to make a closed pair of Grados. I know people said it can't be done well, but I'll have a whole summer with a lathe or drill press and a craft store nearby. I'll probably need two SR60's. If I'm lucky, there will be some cheap ones on eBay, since I can barely afford one new pair. And I used to have a friend that competed in chess tournament, and he said they were basically the worst thing ever created, especially those with short attention spans.

By the way, how wide does the chamber for the drivers need to be? I have a 1 9/16" forstner tip I'd like to use for more than one project.

What do the screws look like? Anything I could make if I can't find it? Then again, my friend owns a jewelry store, so his parents might have some watch crowns that would work? I dunno. I've just been spitballing incoherencies this whole post.

If you're going to be basically remaking everything except for the drivers, I cannot recommend some iGrados enough. They're supposed to use the exact same drivers as the SR-60, but they are a so much easier to extract. I bought a used pair of SR-80 off craigslist a while ago, and attempted a driver liberation. I pulled the driver out flawlessly, and everything looked perfect. Except somehow the driver got damaged and would only work when I pushed really hard on the back plate. Never figured out why that was, so I bought some iGrados off the FS forums here. I had never taken them apart before, and I still managed to get both drivers completely liberated in under 5 mins. The drivers came out perfect, not even a crinkle, and they produce sound without me having to push on the back plate:) I took pictures of the process, and I can post them here if anyone's interested. Anyways, just something to consider. No sense in paying for the headband and gimbals if you're going to be remaking them anyways!

Mar 27, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #2,522 of 5,004

Quote:
 Also, how would the Jumbo pads compare with the flats and bowls?

Sysfail, I have quarter modded comfies, bowls, and bagel (jumbo) pads and have compared them using my modded SR60i's.

I imagine that some would think differently, but what I find is that soundstage increases and bass decreases as you go up in pad size.  That is a blanket statement, but that is what I hear.  By using the mods in this thread, you can offset the loss of bass as you go up in pad size - to an extent.

With east indian rosewood, and 10 holes, I find the quarter modded comfies bassalicous, but lacking soundstage - fun, but not for serious listening.

With the bowls, I get the best bass, with a good soundstage.

With the jumbos, I get the best soundstage, with good bass.

When I go back and forth between the bowls, I wish I could have that bass, but the soundstage of the jumbos has me.

I use the jumbo's all the time now, and never miss the bass of the bowls, until I listen back to back - so I stopped doing that!

Mar 27, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #2,523 of 5,004
Oh yeah I forgot that those were psedo-closed! I was planning on making a closed vented cup so I could use them as portables. Is there isolation in those?

How could I forget the iGrado's?! Thanks a lot I can probably find a pair for $30

Mar 27, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #2,524 of 5,004

Quote:
Oh yeah I forgot that those were psedo-closed! I was planning on making a closed vented cup so I could use them as portables. Is there isolation in those?

How could I forget the iGrado's?! Thanks a lot I can probably find a pair for $30

Not sure if you meant me or not but as far as isolation goes they cut out a lot of extraneous sound but if someone wants to get you attention its fairly easy as it interrupts the wonderful sound you have going on!!!

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #2,525 of 5,004

Quote:
Hey I need some advice on my SR80i. I'm debating over bowl pads or flat pads as there many people that favors one or the other (or both but I can only choose one). I like the sound of my Grado SR80i right now with the simple reverse quarter mod on the stock comfies. Which pad would be best to further enhance that sound and refine it? I'm thinking the flats would be the answer, but I want to make sure. I will use the SR80i exclusively for most of my rock music from indie/alternative to metalcore/hardcore if that helps. I am also going to replace the plastic housing with wood ones from Bill here, and damp the back of the driver but I'm not going to vent it. Thanks for any advice!

EDIT: Also, how would the Jumbo pads compare with the flats and bowls?

If you are pleased by how they sound now then I would stay that way. ....

Now for my 2 cents. I had the quarter modded flats and really enjoyed them. They were old and used since I bought my cans used and needed a little help. ......  I switched from flats to L-cush for comfort. 
 But for sound I noticed a slight drop in bass from the flats to the L-cush I'm using. To me to have the pads fit more around the ear that on top was an acceptable trade. every ones hearing is different so you may not notice a change at all.

NOW  for the highs I started to hear more detail. I attribute this to the fact  that more of the speaker face is exposed. instead of only a quarter sized hole to move sound  through the opening on the cush offered more surface area. I don't think it's a case where the slight loss of bass exposed the higher detail sound since the bass is almost all there. Like I said only a small amount of bass loss was noticed. 
I have all ten holes punched so if you went to bowls or L-cush than you can open a few more holes and balance it out. It for me was a matter of comfort for longer listening times. I bought my L-cush for $25.00 shipped so I did not spend to much.

Hope this minor comparison helps.
Oh yeah Sys like the profile pic ya got there. 

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #2,526 of 5,004
Just wanted to say, finally bit the bullet and removed the plastic grills from the back of sr80s today.....WOW. Unless I have completely forgotten what they sounded like with the grills in place, i swear they sound MUCH better now! Dunno why I never did this before.

Any suggestions for a good substitute grill material that will be as unobtrusive as possible? Anything wrong with just leaving them grill-less?

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #2,527 of 5,004

Quote:
If you're going to be basically remaking everything except for the drivers, I cannot recommend some iGrados enough. They're supposed to use the exact same drivers as the SR-60, but they are a so much easier to extract. I bought a used pair of SR-80 off craigslist a while ago, and attempted a driver liberation. I pulled the driver out flawlessly, and everything looked perfect. Except somehow the driver got damaged and would only work when I pushed really hard on the back plate. Never figured out why that was, so I bought some iGrados off the FS forums here. I had never taken them apart before, and I still managed to get both drivers completely liberated in under 5 mins. The drivers came out perfect, not even a crinkle, and they produce sound without me having to push on the back plate:) I took pictures of the process, and I can post them here if anyone's interested. Anyways, just something to consider. No sense in paying for the headband and gimbals if you're going to be remaking them anyways!

Big fat X2

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #2,528 of 5,004
Not sure if you meant me or not but as far as isolation goes they cut out a lot of extraneous sound but if someone wants to get you attention its fairly easy as it interrupts the wonderful sound you have going on!!!

Yeah that was meant for you. That's pretty cool then! I'll try that if my vented cups don't work.

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #2,529 of 5,004
Just wanted to say, finally bit the bullet and removed the plastic grills from the back of sr80s today.....WOW. Unless I have completely forgotten what they sounded like with the grills in place, i swear they sound MUCH better now! Dunno why I never did this before.

Any suggestions for a good substitute grill material that will be as unobtrusive as possible? Anything wrong with just leaving them grill-less?

I'm glad to hear you hear what I hear.

You don't need a grill.  Grills don't do anything.  The back of the driver doesn't need protection.  They do look cool, though.  Aluminum mesh works wonders.

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #2,530 of 5,004

Quote:

Letter trays at the dollar store would work and can be cut with scissors or you can order really nice mesh style material from amazon's market. Also you can see if the seller in the FS forums still has the mesh which looks like the type on the higher end Grado's and I believe he stated that it's made from S.S. and already cut to the correct size. He is also donating some of the proceeds to a charity. 

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #2,531 of 5,004

Quote:
I'm glad to hear you hear what I hear.

You don't need a grill.  Grills don't do anything.  The back of the driver doesn't need protection.  They do look cool, though.  Aluminum mesh works wonders.

I didn't expect it myself, but the results really are amazing! I am finally starting to think that the drivers really are the same in all Grados and the lower models are just the victim of deliberate crippling. Guess Grado are a victim of the brilliant simplicity of their own design and wonderful drivers...

Quote:
Letter trays at the dollar store would work and can be cut with scissors or you can order really nice mesh style material from amazon's market. Also you can see if the seller in the FS forums still has the mesh which looks like the type on the higher end Grado's and I believe he stated that it's made from S.S. and already cut to the correct size. He is also donating some of the proceeds to a charity. 

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #2,533 of 5,004
I've been following this thread for so long! Everything i see is just amazing, all the new ideas, everything. It is insane! Curious here, ehm how much are the SR60s in America?
To get them in Ireland its like 120 euro O.O

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #2,534 of 5,004

Quote:

Sysfail, I have quarter modded comfies, bowls, and bagel (jumbo) pads and have compared them using my modded SR60i's.

I imagine that some would think differently, but what I find is that soundstage increases and bass decreases as you go up in pad size.  That is a blanket statement, but that is what I hear.  By using the mods in this thread, you can offset the loss of bass as you go up in pad size - to an extent.

With east indian rosewood, and 10 holes, I find the quarter modded comfies bassalicous, but lacking soundstage - fun, but not for serious listening.

With the bowls, I get the best bass, with a good soundstage.

With the jumbos, I get the best soundstage, with good bass.

When I go back and forth between the bowls, I wish I could have that bass, but the soundstage of the jumbos has me.

I use the jumbo's all the time now, and never miss the bass of the bowls, until I listen back to back - so I stopped doing that!

Really great breakdown. I agree with sound stage in respect to bass. I noticed that with the L-cush my ears do touch the speaker face though.

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #2,535 of 5,004

Quote:
I didn't expect it myself, but the results really are amazing! I am finally starting to think that the drivers really are the same in all Grados and the lower models are just the victim of deliberate crippling. Guess Grado are a victim of the brilliant simplicity of their own design and wonderful drivers...

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

Red... To give you an example of what you discovered, yes the small things are crippling. I took apart my daughters $10.00 phones from Half price book's to repair a failed connector. One week old and the connector pulled off. While checking polarity with my, YES DVOM, I found that the speakers looked like the same driver's in our fav can's. Knowing different though from Bill's experiment with drivers he ordered I figured the little pink can's may still benefit from the Billamod...

First was the hole punch mod. Three holes brought the bass from a flat lifeless thud to boom boom boom. Actually pretty good at three and that's related to the fact that they are closed can's. Now we need sparkle or clarity. Hmm off comes the spongy ear foam material that was covering....Well Ill be.... The same style front driver surface. Holes in a round pattern. With that came the highs that were missing. 

Started a second listen and i'll be darned, detailed highs, boomlicious bass and over all less need to pump up the volume. I would say If had to mod my grados more and needed to have something to pacify myself with I could used these and be happy. No they do not touch the grado's but to hear my daughter tell me "Wow they sound better" while smiling is enough proof that you can make them better with simple little mods..... On with the Billamodnation caravan......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back