SR60-Mod
Mar 12, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #2,131 of 5,004
You're in my thoughts and prayers Bill.

What sort of foam are you using for your bowls?

I also have a question about liberated drivers in new shells. What is between your ear and driver? On the stock grados they have the plastic piece with the holes and white cloth on it.  

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #2,132 of 5,004
I also have a question about liberated drivers in new shells. What is between your ear and driver? On the stock grados they have the plastic piece with the holes and white cloth on it.  

I have no idea what kind of foam it is really, some 2" thick stuff that we have had as a mat for sleeping on when camping and stuff like that. It's pretty dense stuff, but it's probably not the best acoustically. Now that I know it works, I'll start the search for new foam.

It probably wouldn't work for a lot of people, but the inner ring is big enough that I actually have gone circumaural with these since my ear falls down into the chamber. It's a lot like an inverted bowl really.

And the fully liberated drivers are usually either bare or covered with a metal mesh like the back grill is from what I've been seing.

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #2,133 of 5,004
Best of luck Bill. Your family will be in the thoughts and prayers of mine.

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #2,134 of 5,004

Quote:
Quote:

I have no idea what kind of foam it is really, some 2" thick stuff that we have had as a mat for sleeping on when camping and stuff like that. It's pretty dense stuff, but it's probably not the best acoustically. Now that I know it works, I'll start the search for new foam.

It probably wouldn't work for a lot of people, but the inner ring is big enough that I actually have gone circumaural with these since my ear falls down into the chamber. It's a lot like an inverted bowl really.

And the fully liberated drivers are usually either bare or covered with a metal mesh like the back grill is from what I've been seing.

Ah ok. Thanks

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #2,135 of 5,004
Hey Bila, I couldn't reply to the PM due to a daily limit? Sorry about that! I was wondering does anyone have the dimensions for the shells so I can draft some designs for them? 

Many thanks, keep up the great modding, Nico. :)

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #2,137 of 5,004
Bill you call me anytime if you need anything..hang tough!!! Your Karma meter is way full so thats a good thing....

Mar 12, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #2,138 of 5,004

Quote:

Then, if you're still running the original aluminium shells of the 325is, please ditch the plastic ring in it. Grado supposedly put it there to hold the grills in place. I've removed them and I can tell you right away that the grills don't need those nasty plastic rings to hold them in place. Getting rid of the rings is the one biggest improvement I have heard as the drivers now actually make "contact" with the aluminium shell.

And do take out that white grill cloth...the sound flows more effortlessly and as a result, the whole spectrum becomes less restraint, especially the magical highs of the 325is.

To clarify, doesn't the driver cartridge head space on this ring?  What would prevent the driver from going deeper into the cup, besides the cable?  And thanks for pointing out about the grill cloth, I had forgot about it from like 130 pages ago.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Bill.  Best of luck to you and your family.

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #2,139 of 5,004
For anybody that has some, what are the dimensions of a G-Cush/Jumbo? Diameter, thickness, height before the bevel begins, anything you can give me is helpful.

Mar 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #2,141 of 5,004

Quote:
To clarify, doesn't the driver cartridge head space on this ring?  What would prevent the driver from going deeper into the cup, besides the cable?  And thanks for pointing out about the grill cloth, I had forgot about it from like 130 pages ago.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Bill.  Best of luck to you and your family. 

With the ring removed, you get to control how deep you want the cups to go into the shells. A little bit of hot glue prevents them from being pushed too far in to the point that it kills the cable. This mod is every bit worth the effort. Bill will tell you that also as he did the exact same thing...in fact, he was the one who strongly recommended the mod and honestly, it probably was the best thing anyone could do to a 325is.

Quote:
Hey, everybody.  I feel like I'm tweeting this but I just wanted to let you know that my communication is going to be a bit spotty for the next little while.  I promise I haven't run to Mexico with the milk money (in search of great cocobolo wood).  My one-year-old grandson has pneumonia.  Last night, before he went off with his mother, he was burning up with a fever.  Now my six-year-old has a fever and is uber-lethargic.  We are, of course, going to be staying on top of that situation, so if you don't get a huge bookish posting from me for the next little while, that's why.

As Schwarzenegger would say, "I'll be back."  Keep the light on till I do.

Bill, I'm sorry to hear your grandkids caught fever and pneumonia. It really sucks and I hope they will get well soon. Take care dude.

Mar 12, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #2,144 of 5,004
Alchieng I ran a nail through the center of a block of foam and spun it until it had cut the outer circle, then I ran the wire through the foam and cut the inner circle in the same way, only with the wire inside the foam instead of cutting corners of the square like before. On the "bowls" I just sliced the big ring in half and used it for 2 thin rings (they're definitely thinner than a pair of real bowls)

Sadly, the dimmer switch I have as my power control isn't the most sensitive and I ended up making a hot spot and snapped the wire here working on my new idea. The cutter is out of commission until I can go get some more steel wire. I was in the middle of my mini-jumbo when it happened so I have a lopsided inner circle and only one pad at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back