SR60-Mod
Mar 5, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #1,952 of 5,004
The best part is you do the mods, then try it out and when it blows you away you can sit back and say to yourself i did it, I did it!!! These mods work and its so cool to see others get the bug and then start nd then...all bets are off!!!!
 Enjoy guys...  I have another set to mod next, they were started and got side tracked by the Wood shells on the others....

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #1,953 of 5,004
Hopefully I will be cutting some Padauk slip on shells tomorrow. Should be good. I was planning on doing my recable, however I am still waiting on my nylon covering and shrink tubing, so sadly the recable will be waiting until next week sometime. Can't wait to see how my new wood turns out.

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #1,954 of 5,004

Hopefully I will be cutting some Padauk slip on shells tomorrow. Should be good. I was planning on doing my recable, however I am still waiting on my nylon covering and shrink tubing, so sadly the recable will be waiting until next week sometime. Can't wait to see how my new wood turns out.

Padauk is very pretty and, to my relief, is fairly durable, more so than blood wood.  I recently cut a bunch of Padauk shells and was very pleased with the result.  It cuts pretty clean.  In some ways, it's an interesting midway between cocobolo's durability (but oily clay on the saw blades) and clean, dry feel of bloodwood, with its greater fragility.  Nothing does for bass what cocobolo does, with the exception of Brazilian rosewood and East Indian rosewood, but Padauk produces a very warm sound, warmer than mahogany, and when you combine its looks with its performance, I can see how this tonewood should turn a few heads.

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #1,956 of 5,004

Quote:

WOW. I want that in my life.

...And suddenly I am not happy with my stock SR80i's any longer. Thanks a lot people, geez..

As I'm reading this post I start singing "Another One Bites The Dust"...LOL..enjoy!!!

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #1,957 of 5,004

Quote:

Very nice Bill... Your man did a great job and the color really plays well with your cups....... 
L3000.gif
 Keep going

That headband is beautiful. How did you place it back on, or take it off for that matter

Mar 6, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #1,958 of 5,004
You need to pull the metal headband out from the L or R plastic thing and slide the headband on and off. The headbands glued so you need to 'crack' the glue. There's good instructions on the JMoney site.

Quote:
That headband is beautiful. How did you place it back on, or take it off for that matter

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #1,959 of 5,004
[size=small]Hello gang, having heard improvement after applying Dynamat to the pole pieces of my Grado drivers I decided to follow in the footsteps of many here and apply Dynamat to their baskets as well. I’ve been looking for a way to tame what I would term as “shrill highs” that I had been experiencing ever since the drivers were fully vented at the rear (hole mod) and the plastic driver grill had been removed. This mod to my surprise and delight, allowed the drivers to return to a flatter frequency response (throughout the audible range). Coming from a DIY loudspeaker background, I must tell you that some of these Grado mods may fly in the face of conventional thinking but in my experience they usually deliver as promised.[/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Bill.[/size]

[size=small][/size]

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #1,960 of 5,004
The key thing here is we as Grado owners have the oppurtunity to model these headphones and create our own personal version/model# and tune the sound of these to our particular taste in listening to music...I have not heard of any other brand of headphone that offers that kind of flexibility while providing an excellent sounding headphone from square one through whatever it is that makes them your headphones, your own personal model. The thing that makes this possible is the relatively easy access to various components of the cans-by simply heating up the glue and pulling the driver tray out of the shells opens the possibilities of endless creative mods and always preserving a high quality of sound reproduction.

I have not read of anybody's mod attempts yet that didn't eventually work out unless you took the chance and tried to liberate the drivers and were unsuccessful but that is a known risk. I see no reason my self to buy anything other than an entry level Grado and turn it into an UBER set of Cans, a work of art in many cases, and endless fun. 

Bill (bilavideo) got this whole thing started and took the time to document and let us all know of the possibilities and of how via video to actually do that.. Thanks BILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #1,961 of 5,004
x2

My grados sound so neutral now that it's weird to call them grados anymore. I should be getting my second pair of sr80is back today, and I'll try damping the basket like you did, Big Bill. Did you take the felt off? My plan is to scrape all the felt off and stick the dynamat directly onto the back of the driver. Although I'll only vent ~ four holes.

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #1,963 of 5,004
So, I got some little software things for my laptop...here is what I'm using t this moment and I feel like I'm floating in the air with the music...

So I'm running Media Monkey, through an SRS HD Audio Plug-in and through the laptops sound card into my Fiiio E5 and on to the :

I'm sorry if I'm being redundant, new meds today, pain is finally tolerable so I'm doing my version of dancing with a cane and walker and good, good tunes..Everybody have a great week!!!!

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #1,965 of 5,004
Great spirit there eclein :) No distortion with that smiley EQ? I've experienced "random" distortion with some cans when i didn't attenuate the pre-amp on the PC side and I had to resort lowering the bands I wanted to fade instead of rising the others. Maybe with some more complex recordings other than the fabulous Gaucho? I'll have to search a bit for your worm in the can thing... you got me curious of what exactly it's supposed to do and how it works. Great pics and cans everyone. Keep 'em coming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back