SR60-Mod
Feb 22, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #1,606 of 5,004

no, i think i wont be buying premade ones... i live in the far reaches of the galaxy.

i bought some short lengths of lumber from the local woodworker, some mahogany and other indigenous woods.

ill hire somebody with sculpting skills to do the works. 

That's awesome.  I hope you go for it and post your creations here.  It's amazing how many people have jumped in and put their own personal stamp onto their Grados - sometimes with results you just couldn't buy out of a pizza box.

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #1,608 of 5,004
Just Modded my sr60i's... Simply amazing.

Thanks Bilavideo 
gs1000.gif

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #1,609 of 5,004
great work! do you have the dimensions for these?

Quote:
Quote:
i'm sorry if you mentioned this all ready in your thread, but where did you get your ear pads. do you think they'll fit on sr-80s? 

Which pads? All Grados have the same mounting for pads though so ignore the specific model and focus solely on whether they fit Grados.

Quote:
another:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_-FsEhpxhJQ8/TB8UzS5uGcI/AAAAAAAAIMU/SPy-RdhHglU/s912/IMG_1111.JPG

Feb 22, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #1,610 of 5,004
bilavideo-did you get the silver braid from homegrown? is that what you've been referring too? 

In the past, I've gone to Homegrown Audio for my silver.  They used to sell a four-wire braid of 99.99% silver core 24 awg wire for $12/foot, allowing me to run a four foot cable from Heaven for all of $50 plus shipping.  Unfortunately, there has been a spike in silver hoarding, as a hedge against inflation, driving up the price of silver.  Right now, HGA is selling the same cables for $30/ft, which was a deal-breaker for me.

I switched to buying bare silver wire, just before the spike, and got some silver from a source in Taiwan.  It took forever to reach me and I still have to coat it but that's the most feasible alternative for the time being.  I suspect that many will stick with copper and simply double the wire by using CAT5 cable.  Once you strip away the outer sheath, you've got four twisted pairs of 24 awg wire, doubling your copper and cutting your impedance in half.  Running an eight-conductor cable of the stuff, you can definitely hear a difference, particularly in the bass.

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #1,611 of 5,004
Feb 22, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #1,612 of 5,004
I am using cryo'd Mogami starquad and a Vampire 1/4 to replace the cable on my 60's, work should be done in early March.

This AM I bought some 1 inch indian rosewood and african blackwood, for my 2nd attempt at DIY cups.  I initially used bubinga, but at 1.75 inch depth, it was WAY too deep a cup, and unless I use the flat pads, I don't get what I want.

I am using a 2 inch hole saw for my ID, and a 2.5 inch hole saw as my OD.  I can say that the 2 inch is slightly too large to press fit the plastic cup the driver is still in, and the mix of the two does not give a chunky thick walled rear cup, but for exploring it is fine.

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #1,613 of 5,004
Feb 22, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #1,614 of 5,004

Quote:
I am using cryo'd Mogami starquad and a Vampire 1/4 to replace the cable on my 60's, work should be done in early March.

This AM I bought some 1 inch indian rosewood and african blackwood, for my 2nd attempt at DIY cups.  I initially used bubinga, but at 1.75 inch depth, it was WAY too deep a cup, and unless I use the flat pads, I don't get what I want.

I am using a 2 inch hole saw for my ID, and a 2.5 inch hole saw as my OD.  I can say that the 2 inch is slightly too large to press fit the plastic cup the driver is still in, and the mix of the two does not give a chunky thick walled rear cup, but for exploring it is fine.

Do you mind if I ask where your source of the Mogami wire is since I live in Canada as well?

Al

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #1,616 of 5,004
I think I'm going to try doing this... Got plenty of Cat5 cable lying around.
All I need now is some brown shoelaces (to match the brown J$ headbank) and some heatshrink and I'm good to go...

Quote:
In the past, I've gone to Homegrown Audio for my silver.  They used to sell a four-wire braid of 99.99% silver core 24 awg wire for $12/foot, allowing me to run a four foot cable from Heaven for all of $50 plus shipping.  Unfortunately, there has been a spike in silver hoarding, as a hedge against inflation, driving up the price of silver.  Right now, HGA is selling the same cables for $30/ft, which was a deal-breaker for me.

I switched to buying bare silver wire, just before the spike, and got some silver from a source in Taiwan.  It took forever to reach me and I still have to coat it but that's the most feasible alternative for the time being.  I suspect that many will stick with copper and simply double the wire by using CAT5 cable.  Once you strip away the outer sheath, you've got four twisted pairs of 24 awg wire, doubling your copper and cutting your impedance in half.  Running an eight-conductor cable of the stuff, you can definitely hear a difference, particularly in the bass.

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #1,618 of 5,004
Take 5 Audio sells Mogami 2534 for $1.69 a foot, or cryo'd for around $2.09 a foot.  For the 6 feet I wanted, I figured the cryo'd was the way to go, just for kicks.  Shipping for the wire and the 1/4 plugs ran around $7, so not unreasonable, but good to bulk up your order.  VERY fast shipping, I had the items in 2 days.  They are also in ON, but not that close to me.  Great guys, I have bought wire from them in the past when I built up a DIY power cable years ago.

http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=87&cat=Mogami

Users who are viewing this thread

Back