SR60-Mod
Jan 31, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #1,171 of 5,004
I think I'm going to go ahead and proceed with a recable on my SR-80is.

I think i've narrowed it down to the following components

- Neutrik NYS231BG 3.5 Stereo Mini plug Cryo Treated

- Mogami 2534 Neglex Cryo Treated 

This is a quick paint image of how I'm planning on recabling the cans.

Although this all sounds good in theory, I've got a couple of questions about this whole plan...

[size=x-small]  1) Is the Mogami 2534 a good cable, maybe better or at least par with Grado stock (4 conductor) cable?[/size]
[size=small]  2) What size of nylon sleeving should I buy to cover the wire between the plug and the Y-connector for a good tight fit (labelled "nylon sleeve #1" on above diagram)[/size]
[size=x-small]  3) What size of nylon sleeving should I buy to cover the wire between each headphone driver and the Y-connector for a good tight fit (labelled "nylon sleeve #2" on above diagram)[/size]
[size=x-small]  4) What size of shrink tube should I buy to cover the plug and wire (between Neutrik plug and wire) for a good tight fit (labelled "heatshrink #1" on above diagram)[/size]
[size=x-small]  5) What size of shrink tube should I buy to cover the Y-Split for a good tight fit (labelled "heatshrink #2" on above diagram)[/size]
[size=x-small]  6) Better yet, maybe a already-made-ready-to-use Y-Split cover...[/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]  7) Anything else you would recommend, avoid, etc... ?[/size][/size]
[size=x-small] [/size]
[size=x-small]Maybe I should have posted this in the DIY section but I thought I'd ask the Grado crowd before
gs1000.gif
[/size]

Jan 31, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #1,172 of 5,004
I love those Neutrik mini-plugs. They're very solid, very nice to work with and so purdy. Just wanted to say that.
biggrin.gif

Once you've had Neutrik, you never go back to cheap connectors.

Jan 31, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #1,173 of 5,004
Hello head-fi, as you might know Bill has been working on the new Grado wooden cups.

I have received some today from Bill, I will call them the BilaGrado SE-MS1000i's. Included were cocobolo distancers and cups. It is essentially Bill's take on the MS1000 mod. I have to say that I wasn't expecting much, once I got them and assembled them that idea drastically changed. Once the Cups and distancers were installed the soundstage and the bass opened up greatly while having the same Grado sound! More impressions are coming, right now I am listening to
Eskmo-We Got More and it sounds incredible on these headphones. Also when I listened to Gomez- Bring it On I noticed that the soundstage is massive and impressive, the best I have ever heard.

BilaGrado SE-Ms1000's:

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #1,178 of 5,004

Quote:
Hey Chris, those really look nice.

Do you mind telling me (and commenting on the use of) the two different Y-Splits you are using? The one from the 325 and the one from the 60...

I'm also trying to find locking collars for the cup posts (attached to the headband) locally but without any luck... Anyone know where I can find some online that will ship to Canada of better yet, willing to sell me a couple :)

Thanks,
Eric

Hey Now Eric,

The SR60 Y-split is adhesive shrink wrap and a simple hand tool, like needle nose pliers. When you heat the tubing up, press the gap between the right and left cords and easy peasy, there you have it a self made Y-split. The other one is from Qables, it snaps apart in half and snaps back on, even easier. 

Y-splitter 5mm black

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #1,179 of 5,004

Bilavideo-
Have to ask, do you have a job?
What affords you the immense pleasure and time to take on all this tinkering?
Trust fund baby, married a doctor, insomniac?
Do tell.
normal_smile%20.gif

This is my solution to a midlife crisis.  It's cheaper than a boat and more fun than stamp collecting.  When I was a lawyer, I never had time to do anything fun.  Becoming a teacher gave me the gift of time.  This is how I stay out of trouble.  Not since skateboarding have I plunged into something with both feet.  Grado renewed my passion for headphones and now I'm getting into all kinds of things I never thought I'd care about, including wood.

Feb 1, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #1,180 of 5,004
What a great thread. I realy need a second set of grados to get the driver liberated, I was tempted when I made my aluminum cups but didn't want to ruin the only headphones I had. 

Here are the cups I made,

I have walnut cups on now, can't wait to get home and try the puncture mod.

Feb 1, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #1,181 of 5,004
Edd, I love how both those look. Any chance of getting more pictures of the Walnut cups? How did you go about finishing those?

I would love to do something like that with the aluminum cups. I absolutely love the way those look.

Feb 1, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #1,182 of 5,004

What a great thread. I realy need a second set of grados to get the driver liberated, I was tempted when I made my aluminum cups but didn't want to ruin the only headphones I had. 

Here are the cups I made,

I have walnut cups on now, can't wait to get home and try the puncture mod.

Gorgeous!

Feb 1, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #1,183 of 5,004

Quote:
Edd, I love how both those look. Any chance of getting more pictures of the Walnut cups? How did you go about finishing those?

I would love to do something like that with the aluminum cups. I absolutely love the way those look.

I was hoping to take more pictures later, I only made the walnut cups yesterday. The finish CA super glue. I picked it up from pen turning, its pretty easy and results in a crazy shine, not some peoples taste but I like it.

Feb 1, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #1,184 of 5,004
How exactly did you use superglue to finish? I would like to know, I never heard of that before.

I acheived a fairly shiny finish with 4 layers of lacquer over Mahogany, but I feel superglue would be dangerous. Everytime I work with it, I lose fingerprints for several days, or glue plastic bits to my hands. It is one of my least favorite things to work with.

Feb 1, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #1,185 of 5,004

Quote:
How exactly did you use superglue to finish? I would like to know, I never heard of that before.

I acheived a fairly shiny finish with 4 layers of lacquer over Mahogany, but I feel superglue would be dangerous. Everytime I work with it, I lose fingerprints for several days, or glue plastic bits to my hands. It is one of my least favorite things to work with.

It is applied with the cup spinning on the lathe, using a few drops at a time on paper towl. To speed the process up I use a spray accelerator between layers. I then sand with 800 grit untill smooth, and buff on a buffer with white compound. I got more glue on my hands gluing the mesh in. Without the lathe I would probably just use spray lacquer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back