SR60-Mod
Jan 27, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #1,081 of 5,004

Bill, those cups are works of art. I'm almost afraid of what you'll be turning out once you get used to working with a lathe.

I can't afford to join the silver mafia, but because I'm bored, I want to recable my SR60 and make a few interconnects (to connect my monitors to my laptop and such). Whats a good place to get the cable from? Do i just go with Canare L-4E6S Star Quad? I can't even tell if thats copper or not. Where can I get a nice high-quality copper braid from?

Quote:

how dose one do this...........I must learn.

There are vendors online who will sell you silver core wire.  I went to Homegrown Audio, which sells it in bulk or braid.  I chose braid since doing so does the work for me.  I went for a four-wire braid, two strands of which were in white teflon while the other two strands were in clear.  It cost me $12/ft but for a little less than $50, I got four feet (more than enough to connect to my iPod).  There's a $10 charge for shipping and a plug will cost you $5, but for $65, I got an awesome four-braid cable.  All I had to do was solder and I was good to go.

Oh yeah... I forgot about that silver wire. I suggest the Cardas litz cable, you get two litz cables (google it) that are wound around each other and shielded. That, and your two channels are separate, so there isn't any crosstalk between the right and left channels. $2.10 for a foot, but you get two wires instead of one. It's not silver wire, but I think the construction of the wire is more important than the material. 

Jan 27, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #1,082 of 5,004

Bill, those cups are works of art. I'm almost afraid of what you'll be turning out once you get used to working with a lathe.

I can't afford to join the silver mafia, but because I'm bored, I want to recable my SR60 and make a few interconnects (to connect my monitors to my laptop and such). Whats a good place to get the cable from? Do i just go with Canare L-4E6S Star Quad? I can't even tell if thats copper or not. Where can I get a nice high-quality copper braid from?

Homegrown Audio also sells 24 awg OFHC (99.99% pure) for 53 cents/ft.  20 feet of the stuff (for a four-wire braid five feet long) would cost you $10.60 plus shipping.  Unfortunately, shipping will cost you another $10.

Here's an easy, cheap way to halve your impedance: Double the wire you've got.  A pair of 24 awg wires - even of ordinary copper cable - will produce better conductivity than a lot of fancy cables.

Jan 27, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #1,083 of 5,004
10 bucks shipping? Dang, if they had the connectors too, I'd probably go for that. is 1/4" PET a good size to wrap a 4 wire braid in, or should it be 3/8"?

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #1,084 of 5,004
So what is the verdict on using CAT 5e or CAT 6 cable on headphones? Also can someone point me toward the parts I would need to make detachable cables for each ear?

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #1,086 of 5,004

Quote:
2 3.5mm mono jacks
2 3.5mm mono plugs

And some wire to connect the driver to the jack.

Then you just take the cable and terminate the ends in 3.5mm plugs. and connect the drivers to the jacks. then they pop in and out like any TRS plug would.

Thanks for that link I;ve been trying to find a place that sells that stuff. Also would a an Ethernet cable with 8 wires be better than the stock cable that has 4?

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #1,088 of 5,004
Oh no! You're wearing them backwards... or you put them in the opposite way (L on the headband, and the right side of your head)

And how thick (depth of the wood) are those cups? I'm looking at some 15/16" C-bolo, and was wondering what that's going to get me.

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #1,089 of 5,004
Bill...may I say those are abso-effing-lutely BEAUTIFUL! Great job man! Tease us a bit on how it sounds will ya?
basshead.gif

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #1,090 of 5,004
^^^ wow, ok thanks I may have to invest in this for my grados...unless I sell them then I might so it for my AKG's hahahaha I will look that up, and the soldering dose it have to be done to like a certain specification, or do you just attach the cable to the wire entry point to the driver?

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #1,091 of 5,004
On the little solder pad is all you need to know. There's no exact spot on it that you have to hit, just make sure you hit the contact point that they are already on.

And I heated mine finally, right now it's just acting at a means to straighten the cups since the little slant to them was bugging me really badly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back