SR60-Mod
Aug 21, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #16 of 5,004
Buy pads that are deep enough? I'll tell you what I'll buy, I'll buy not Grado from the start...maybe I'll buy one for my granny and see what he thinks.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
If your ears are parallel to your head (flat) rather than sticking out, then they are not a problem (at least for me). Buy pads that are deep enough for your ears to not touch the driver vents. If you are lucky Bilavideo might put on salad bowl pads on this already abused pair of Sr60s, and see what he thinks.

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #17 of 5,004

Quote:
Buy pads that are deep enough? I'll tell you what I'll buy, I'll buy not Grado from the start...maybe I'll buy one for my granny and see what he thinks.
evil_smiley.gif

That's a cool story bro, how about you tell us a little bit more as to why you won't buy grados?

Actually, scratch that, I don't care. Leave this thread to the people who are actually interested in the mods, and not interested in starting another stupid "Grados are uncomfortable!" thread.

@OP. Great work man, I became interested in modding my SR80i's a few weeks back. I've already done the dynamat mod and I replaced my grills, now i'm looking to do another round coming up shortly. Going to put in a mono plug in each cup and make detachable wires cause I keep snagging my doggone cable on my computer chair pulling my grados off my desk or head. Definitely subbing this, as you've already shown a mod that I haven't seen before and is worth trying out!

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #18 of 5,004

​
Quote:

That's a cool story bro, how about you tell us a little bit more as to why you won't buy grados?

Actually, scratch that, I don't care. Leave this thread to the people who are actually interested in the mods, and not interested in starting another stupid "Grados are uncomfortable!" thread.

@OP. Great work man, I became interested in modding my SR80i's a few weeks back. I've already done the dynamat mod and I replaced my grills, now i'm looking to do another round coming up shortly. Going to put in a mono plug in each cup and make detachable wires cause I keep snagging my doggone cable on my computer chair pulling my grados off my desk or head. Definitely subbing this, as you've already shown a mod that I haven't seen before and is worth trying out!

​

Aug 22, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #20 of 5,004

Interesting.
Will any of these mods prevent less noise from escaping?
I like everything about the SR60i, only just that it's open headphones.. I can't use it in libraries.

None of these mods are intended to do that.  The quarter mod and the grill-cloth removal open things up while the venting gives you more bass at the same volume.  The damping mod cuts out spikes in the HF.  The SR60s leak less bass than the larger Grados - like the RS1, the GS1000 and the PS1000 - but they still leak.  At reasonable volumes, nobody will hear you unless you're lying next to someone in bed.  If you're cranking really loud, however, the leakage is noticeable - not as much as with the HD800 - but noticeable enough.

It should be interesting to explore what could be done to reduce such leakage without compromising too much in "SQ."

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #21 of 5,004
Nice pictures!

Thanks!
Wow. Beautiful. I've read about getting the cups apart, but have always been kind of scared. Thank you for the step-by-step directions.

I will definitely be subscribing to this thread.

Everybody's a little nervous till they pop the hood on these cans.  I was in that camp, too.
Do you think that the felt and the dynamat have the same effect on dampening resonances/sound quality?

Yeah.  They both damp resonance.  The dynamat is probably better at it.  The felt was cheaper.
 If you are lucky Bilavideo might put on salad bowl pads on this already abused pair of Sr60s, and see what he thinks.

The SR60s take to the jumbos surprisingly well.  Nothing south of the GS1000 does that - at least un-modded.

I know what you mean.  I broke two fingers falling off my skateboard because of a cable issue.  The silver cable I'm installing tomorrow is only four feet long because that's all I need for iPod purposes.

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #22 of 5,004
Well the only problem is, I like to get lost in my music. So if I put it at low volume, external noises will be distracting,.
What are the ways to reduce sound leakage?
This is interesting. I'm thinking of getting a Grado SR60i or maybe Hippo Shroom or Pearl.

One really open and well, it's Grado. And the other IEMs with pretty ok SQ and isolation.
SIGH, decisions decisions.

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #23 of 5,004
Fantastic resource thread Bilavideo!

I did the hole-punching/felt damping mod to my MS1 at Bilavideo's advice and it worked fantastically, allowing me to use Jumbo Pads without any distancers.

MarcusP,
You'll find that many of the best heapdhones out there are open. Unless you try and listen to them on public transport or walking along a very busy road it shouldn't be a problem.

For listening in your house, it won't make any difference to you getting lost in the music at all, if anything you'll get more involved as open cans sound much more natural. 

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #24 of 5,004
Yea I agree, but the thing is I wanna bring it around uni and maybe use it while studying in the library.
If I put it at middle volume with Grado SR60i and an iPhone as my source, will there be sound leakage?

Or maybe I should get a cheap IEM for those quiet environments.

Aug 22, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #25 of 5,004
Yeah I would say for the library, go for IEMs or closed cans with good isolation.

The thing about such a quiet environment is even a tiny amount of noise can be heard, so you might end up with them at extremely low volumes and still have people complain.

Aug 22, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #27 of 5,004
We've gone massively off-topic now as this is still supposed to be Bilavideo's SR60 Mod thread, but very quickly... I think you should do what your finances allow according to your priotities.

If your main concern is music while you study, spend more on the IEMs, if your main concern  is home listening, more on the headphones.

Also - do look at the classified here - everything is cheaper and you might just be able to afford a decent pair of both!

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #29 of 5,004

Quote:
We've gone massively off-topic now as this is still supposed to be Bilavideo's SR60 Mod thread, but very quickly... I think you should do what your finances allow according to your priotities.

If your main concern is music while you study, spend more on the IEMs, if your main concern  is home listening, more on the headphones.

Also - do look at the classified here - everything is cheaper and you might just be able to afford a decent pair of both!

Lol yea.
I'm looking at second hand sr60 and hippo pearl.
ANYWAY. enough of this.

can't wait for the change of cable. and maybe also the mod on sound leakage.

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #30 of 5,004

Well the only problem is, I like to get lost in my music. So if I put it at low volume, external noises will be distracting,  What are the ways to reduce sound leakage?

I can play Avenged Sevenfold at half volume, which is plenty loud for my tastes, and it doesn't draw attention.  The problem comes in attempting to play the music screaming loud in an ultra-quiet setting.  Even with the DT770, I wouldn't be able to work that combination, and the DT770 is completely closed.  That's where you'd need an IEM today and a hearing aid tomorrow.

Well the only problem is, I like to get lost in my music. So if I put it at low volume, external noises will be distracting.  What are the ways to reduce sound leakage?

It depends on how loud those external noises are.  With drivers, even open ones, in your ear, you'd be surprised at how much louder your music is.  I do all kinds of activities with my music at a safe, reasonable, volume and I rarely notice anything other than the occasional spike in outside volume.  Open cans are actually worst in really loud environments - like subways, buses, construction sites, clubs.  Normal and even quiet environments are only an issue if the quiet and the loudness of your music are extreme.

great article. will you be adding distancers?

I hadn't planned to but that's certainly something to think about.  The venting mod provides so much bass, you can wear the jumbos without them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back