SR60-Mod
May 18, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #3,902 of 5,004
Felt sick today so instead of studying for my paper in 2 days, I decided to give this "yellow gold" spray paint a try since my girlfriend stole it from work for me. To be honest, I don't like how yellow instead of gold it looks. some of you might like it though. I just commissioned some rod blocks and gimbals, Big Bill does your source still do leather headbands?

PRO TIP: Do not use Spray paint near anything valuable. I covered a section of my glass dining table with newspaper and the clouds of spray paint landed on all the uncovered sections and I had to painstakingly use a coin in a cloth soaked in thinner scraping them off for 2 hours!!!! First time spray painting something so yes very dumb thing to do.

1 coat of sealant, roughly 3 coats of paint, then another coat of sealant. Wasn't very clean work although you probably can't tell from the pictures. there's one spot on each side that the paint probably rubbed off.. can't be bothered to do anything about it now.

May 18, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #3,903 of 5,004

Defintitely not doing any justice for those nice wood cups.  It looks very yellow.

Where are you getting rod blocks and gimbals?? 
confused.gif

Quote:
Felt sick today so instead of studying for my paper in 2 days, I decided to give this "yellow gold" spray paint a try since my girlfriend stole it from work for me. To be honest, I don't like how yellow instead of gold it looks. some of you might like it though. I just commissioned some rod blocks and gimbals, Big Bill does your source still do leather headbands?

PRO TIP: Do not use Spray paint near anything valuable. I covered a section of my glass dining table with newspaper and the clouds of spray paint landed on all the uncovered sections and I had to painstakingly use a coin in a cloth soaked in thinner scraping them off for 2 hours!!!! First time spray painting something so yes very dumb thing to do.

1 coat of sealant, roughly 3 coats of paint, then another coat of sealant. Wasn't very clean work although you probably can't tell from the pictures. there's one spot on each side that the paint probably rubbed off.. can't be bothered to do anything about it now.

May 18, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #3,904 of 5,004
My wife freaks out when I get some overspray on the cement floor from spray painting in my garage.  I'm sure if I were to spray paint inside my house, my manhood would be permanently removed for life. 
eek.gif

Quote:

May 19, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #3,906 of 5,004
yea it reminds of a yellow ocre colour.. like egg yolk or lego bricks lol.

I'm getting rod blocks and gimbals from Marty.  Spreading my business around. =)

now all I need are head bands. since I wouldn't want to pry open the wooden rod blocks once I have them on. Big Bill? Your head band guy still in business?

I think its very unlikely I'll have all the pieces together for my eastern europe trip, so its likely these yellow monstrosities will be on the flight with me provided Bila's cups make it to me in time =/

Else I'd be on a plane with no personal audio. long flight to germany with crappy in-flight headphones.

May 19, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #3,907 of 5,004
yea it reminds of a yellow ocre colour.. like egg yolk or lego bricks lol.

I'm getting rod blocks and gimbals from Marty.  Spreading my business around. =)

now all I need are head bands. since I wouldn't want to pry open the wooden rod blocks once I have them on. Big Bill? Your head band guy still in business?

I think its very unlikely I'll have all the pieces together for my eastern europe trip, so its likely these yellow monstrosities will be on the flight with me provided Bila's cups make it to me in time =/

Else I'd be on a plane with no personal audio. long flight to germany with crappy in-flight headphones.

Open headphones on a plane? Not sure I'd like that. Way too noisy for me.

I definitely want to do something with my rods and blocks now... Partially for looks, but mostly to get something that locks.

May 19, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #3,910 of 5,004

Quote:
Yea I don't have a choice though. Its either grados come with me or I've got nothing. Customs have to be sent back to China.

Can you get by with some JVC Marshmallow ear buds?  I have a pair that I use and find them pretty good.  I only paid $14.99 (US$) at a store for military vets and there was no tax collected, either.  However, they sell for about $20 (US$) at other retailers here in the U.S.  They're the kind of ear bud that doesn't sound horrible and because of the low cost, you don't feel guilty about how you treat them when you use them.  I had a pair of $80 Klipsch for a while.  Those things drove me crazy with paranoia.  I was always thinking something crazy was going to happen to them when I was doing outside work with them on, like the cable getting cut, etc.  With these cheaper JVCs, there is no guilt.

May 19, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #3,911 of 5,004
HAHA I recommend marshmallows to people who don't want to spend a ton but like an upgrade from their ibuds. Well marshmallows and Melectronics M6.

I could always borrow the turbines I bought for my girlfriend but I think I'll just use my Grados. I'm quite used to sound leaking in since I used them in starbucks and the subway when my customs are on the fritz. However, I only worry for passengers beside me lol. Long flight from Singapore to Berlin, whoever's beside me would be suffering the whole way =D

May 19, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #3,912 of 5,004
Isolation from the outside is the most important for me, not to the outside when traveling/commuting/walking the dog... I don't enjoy having to turn the volume up too much to compensate.

I find the el cheapo CX300 to isolate pretty well, although the cables tangle too much and are prone to microphonics, but these 2 issues can be compensated pretty well if you tuck the cables nicely within the jacket or whatever. Oh and the CX300 sounded pretty bad lol

May 19, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #3,913 of 5,004

Quote:
Isolation from the outside is the most important for me, not to the outside when traveling/commuting/walking the dog... I don't enjoy having to turn the volume up too much to compensate.

Unfortunately, the modified Grados tend to provide less isolation than the stock ones.  I guess this might be due to the fact that the rear holes in the fabric have been opened up and people have replaced the standard screen with a more open screen material - as well as removed those "SR-60" circular tags.

OT: A few weeks ago, I mentioned that I had a job interview.  Well, this afternoon, I received the verbal offer with a formal one coming in the mail soon.  I'll then be able to turn in my resignation with my current corporation.  The anticipated start date will be June 20th.  The pay increase is actually quite good, plus this position has pension program and not a 401k, like I have right now.  I'm a bit happy - should be celebrating with some cold ones, but I was up at 4:30 a.m. this morning and it was a long day.  The same can be said for tomorrow too - 4:30 a.m. wake up.  40 mile drive into the city.  The weekend can't get here fast enough.  

May 19, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #3,914 of 5,004

Thats awesome man. Congrats on the new job. I get up at 5am and have a 40 mile drive to work aswell. I really hate the drive.
Quote:
Unfortunately, the modified Grados tend to provide less isolation than the stock ones.  I guess this might be due to the fact that the rear holes in the fabric have been opened up and people have replaced the standard screen with a more open screen material - as well as removed those "SR-60" circular tags.

OT: A few weeks ago, I mentioned that I had a job interview.  Well, this afternoon, I received the verbal offer with a formal one coming in the mail soon.  I'll then be able to turn in my resignation with my current corporation.  The anticipated start date will be June 20th.  The pay increase is actually quite good, plus this position has pension program and not a 401k, like I have right now.  I'm a bit happy - should be celebrating with some cold ones, but I was up at 4:30 a.m. this morning and it was a long day.  The same can be said for tomorrow too - 4:30 a.m. wake up.  40 mile drive into the city.  The weekend can't get here fast enough.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back